Super Crispy Air Fried Zucchini Keto Chips are breaded with pork rind breadcrumbs and parmesan and made in the air fryer until golden.
A perfect low carb and diabetic friendly snack or appetizer that is easy to make and seasoned with just the right amount of spices. See the instructions for a pan-fried method as well.
Keto fried zucchini chips are on repeat in my house, everyone always requests them and we simply just can't get enough of these crispy little bites.
Using the air fryer to make these low carb zucchini chips is a quick and easy way to get them nice and crispy just like my Low Carb Air Fryer Pickles recipe.
This fried zucchini recipe uses pork rind breadcrumbs, parmesan some spices and eggs to bread the zucchini. Alternatively you can use almond flour instead of pork rind crumbs.
- Zucchini: sliced and salted to remove the moisture, zucchini chips make a great snack.
- Pork Rind Crumbs: flavored with grated parmesan cheese and seasoned with pepper, paprika, and garlic powder for added flavor. Use a cup of almond flour instead of pork rinds if you prefer. They will not be as crispy but are a good alternative.
- Eggs: the zucchini slices are dipped in whisked eggs to help the breadcrumbs stick.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the Air Fried Zucchini Chips?
STEP 1: Preheat air fryer to 400°F. Then cut 2 medium zucchinis into ¼" slices and place on a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 15 minutes. This will help draw out the moisture from the zucchini.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, combine the pork rind bread crumbs (almond flour if used) with the parmesan, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
In another small bowl whisk together the eggs with the water.
Pat down the tops of the zucchini slices with a paper towel to remove any moisture.
STEP 3: Dip each slice of zucchini into the egg mixture and then dredge through the pork rind or almond flour mixture until coated on both sides. Place on a clean paper towel lined plate until all slices are coated.
STEP 4: Spray the preheated air fryer basket with cooking spray and then transfer the breaded zucchini slices to the air fryer basket.
You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. Lightly spray the tops of the zucchini slices with cooking spray.
STEP 5: Air fry at 400°F for 5 minutes and then flip and air fryer for another 3 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Carefully remove the zucchini slices with metal tongs.
Allow to slightly cool and serve immediately with a dipping sauce. I mixed some sour cream with paprika and chili powder for the dip.
Pan Fried Method
- Follow steps 1-4 and then place the breaded zucchini slices.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan or skillet over medium high heat and pan fry the zucchini in batches on both sides until lightly browned, about 4-6 minutes.
Serve Immediately: this keto friendly fried zucchini recipe will have a crispy breading when it is served right away. If left sitting for longer periods the moisture in the zucchini will release and they will lose their crispiness.
- Serving: Serve with a creamy dip like this Cilantro Lime Crema dip or a ranch dressing.
- Storage: if you have any leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 300°F for 2 minutes per side.
Fried zucchini keto chips make a great snack or appetizer, these gluten free bites are super tasty. Here are some variations on how to make them.
- Spicy - add about ⅛ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the pork rind mixture to spice them up.
- Dill - if you are a fan of dill pickle add some dried dill to the pork rind mixture.
- Zesty - add some citrusy Tajin seasoning to the pork rind mixture for some zesty cilantro lime flavors
- Zucchini Fries - slices them lengthwise like french fries instead of into coin shapes.
Frequently asked questions
Zucchini holds a lot of water and it's important to slice and salt them and allow them to sit to draw out the moisture. Pat well with a paper towel to remove the moisture.
No, because pork rinds already contain salt, plus we salted the zucchini slices, the recipe should not require any more salt. You may sprinkle some salt over the fried zucchini keto chips once they are removed from the air fryer if you desire.
Only 1g of total carbs per 4 fried zucchini keto chips. Making this a great low carb appetizer option for people with diabetes as well.
Air Fried Zucchini Keto Chips
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F
- Slice and salt the zucchini and place on a plate lined with paper towel. Let sit for 15 minutes and then dab the zucchini with a paper towel to remove the moisture.
- In a small bowl mix the pork rind breadcrumbs with the grated parmesan cheese, black pepper, paprika and garlic powder.
- In another small bowl whisk the eggs with the water.
- Dip the zucchini slices into the egg mixture, allow any excess to drip off. Then dredge through the pork rind mixture, coating both sides. Place on a plate lined with paper towel.
- Air fry in batches at 400°F for 5 minutes, then flip and air fryer for another 3 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Serve imeediately.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, tips and variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines