Keto Jalapeño Popper made in the air fryer are just like a jalapeno popper but mixed and rolled into a ball and lightly breaded with pork rind crumbs. If you love jalapeño poppers you have to make these Low Carb Jalapeno Popper Burgers.
These low carb bites are a perfect size and packed with all the jalapeño popper flavours like cream cheese and bacon. This diabetic friendly appetizer is a party favourite and I always make extra so I can enjoy them after everyone goes home 🙂
With a cream cheese filling mixed with bacon, jalapenos and monterey jack cheese, these super crispy keto jalapeño popper bites are easy to make in the air fryer in just 12 minutes.
Keeping it low carb with a pork rind crumb crust, these popper bites come out golden brown and crispy with just the right amount of heat from the jalapeño.
Main ingredients Used
Freshly diced jalapenos are the main ingredient but we also use softened cream cheese, bacon crumbles and monterey cheese to give it all the cheesy gooeyness.
- Jalapenos: with a slight level of heat that doesn't overdo it so you can enjoy all the jalapeno flavours.
- Cream cheese: for that mild sweet taste and pleasant tang makes these jalapeño popper bites super creamy on the inside.
- Bacon Crumble: crispy and chewy, salty and savoury adds that extra yumminess in these savoury little bites.
- Monterey Jack Cheese: with a peppery flavour this cheese adds a little more heat
- Pork Rind Crumbs: grind pork rinds in the blender, adding a crispy texture to the air fryer jalapeno popper bites.
Steps by step instructions
How to make Keto Jalapeno Popper Bites in the Air Fryer?
STEP 1: In a large bowl add the softened cream cheese, diced jalapenos, monterey jack cheese, bacon crumble, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined. You may want to mix with your hands at this point like I did in the video.
STEP 2: Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F
In 2 bowls or plates add the pork rind crumbs in one and the eggs and heavy cream in the other. Whisk the eggs and heavy cream together.
Scoop out the cream cheese mixture with a small cookie scoop or tablespoon and roll into your hands to create a ball. Dip in the egg mixture and then bread with the pork rind crumbs.
Set aside on the parchment lined baking tray while you make the rest of the bites.
STEP 3: Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and then transfer the keto jalapeno popper bites into the basket tray. You will likely need to air fry them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Leave space in between each bite so that it gets as much air flow as possible. Lightly spray the tops of the bites with cooking spray. Air fry at 400°F for 12 minutes.
- STEP 4: Allow the jalapeno popper bites to cool in the air fryer basket for 5 minutes before removing or they will fall apart. Remove them gently, the bottom of the balls may be a little sticky, I used a metal spatula to remove them and they came out perfect.
Double Breading: these low carb jalapeno popper bites did leak a little bit of cheese but not much. If you want to avoid this you can double bread them by dipping in the egg mixture and then pork rind breading a second time before cooking them in the air fryer.
Breading: Not a fan of pork rinds? See my Low Carb Breadcrumbs recipe and use them instead of pork rinds.
- Allow to Cool: Super important to allow them to cool in the air fryer basket as they are still soft after air frying. Let them firm up a bit before removing from the air fryer basket. Use a fork and metal spatula to remove them.
- Serving: serve warm with your favourite dipping sauce like a creamy ranch dressing.
- Storage: if you have any leftovers, store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days, warm up in the air fryer at 200°F for about 3-4 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, any cheese that melts easy will work in this recipe. Cheddar, provolone or mozzarella works well.
Yes, make as per the recipe but don't air fry them until you are ready to consume them. Store the prepared uncooked bites in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Each bit or ball contains roughly 1g of total carbs making them keto, low carb and diabetic friendly.
Keto Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Bites
- 2 cups pork rind crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl combine the the cream cheese, jalapenos, monterey jack cheese, bacon crumble, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F
- Whisk the eggs and heavy cream together in a bowl and add the pork rind crumbs in another bowl.
- Scoop out the cream cheese mixture with a small cookie scoop or tablespoon and roll into your hands to create a ball. Dip in the egg mixture and then bread with the pork rind crumbs. Set aside on the parchment lined baking tray while you make the rest of the bites.
- Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place the bites in the air fryer and lightly spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 400°F for 12 minutes. Allow to cool in the air fryer basket before removing or they will fall apart.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines