These Air Fryer Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes are a perfect sweet and spicy appetizer that are super easy to make.
Made into sweet potato wedges, tossed with a spicy sauce and wrapped in bacon, quickly air fried to perfection in minutes.
Im sure you've all enjoyed sweet potato fries. These Bacon wrapped sweet potatoes are only 2g net carbs per wedge and are great for serving as appetizers, finger food, a side dish or make it a meal.
I was inspired to make these bacon wrapped potatoes after making my Maple Bacon Wrapped Brussel Sprouts recipe.
🥘 Ingredients Used
Not a lot of prep time is needed, simply made with a few spices mixed with olive oil, then tossed with the potato wedges and wrapped in bacon, it does not get any easier.
- Sweet Potatoes: with a mild sweet flavour the sweet potato is low in carbs and can be enjoyed occasionally in moderation.
- Bacon: nothing can replace the mild, umami and sweet taste of bacon wrapped around this sweet potato
- Olive Oil: fruity and creates the base of the sauce to mix the spices and coat the sweet potato wedges
- Spice Blend: a blend of paprika, chili powder, chili flakes (optional) and salt and pepper make up a mild spicy blend which is a great contrast to the sweetness of the potato.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the Air Fryer Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes
STEP 1: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Peel and cut one sweet potato in wedges and set aside. In a large bowl add the olive oil and spices and mix well. Toss the potato wedges in the bowl until nicely coated with the spice mix. Then lay out one slice of bacon on a cutting board and roll the potatoe wedge. I like to lay out a bacon strip and wrap the sweet potato from one edge, rolling on the diagonal. See video.
STEP 2: As you roll each bacon wrapped sweet potato place on a dish until all are rolled up.
STEP 3: Once air fryer is ready, spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray (if needed) and then place the bacon wrapped sweet potatoes in the basket. You may need to do this in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- STEP 4: Air fry the bacon wrapped sweet potatoes for 12 minutes at 400°F, flipping halfway through.
STEP 5: Serve on a platter and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and more fresh cracked black pepper.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: cut the sweet potato wedges evenly so that they all cook in the air fryer evenly.
Tip: if using thick cut bacon you will need to increase the cooking time.
- Serving: these bacon wrapped sweet potatoes go great as an appetizer or serve on the side with a steak, grilled chicken or pork chop.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month
♨️ Recipe variations
You can make these low carb bacon wrapped sweet potatoes a variety of ways, here are just a few different variations.
- Rounds - enjoy sweet potato rounds instead. Slice your sweet potatoes in rounds and wrap a slice of bacon around the circumference of the potato instead of in wedges.
- Bites - prefer sweet potato bites? Cut the potatoes into bites by cutting into cubes and wrapping a half slice of the bacon strip around it. Pierce with a toothpick to hold them together.
- Dipping - enjoy them with a ranch dipping sauce or dipped in a ceasar dressing
- Oven Method - make in the oven instead and place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes.
🥣 Equipment used
I do love using my Air Fryer and I use it more often than the oven. There are many air fryers on the market, here are just a few.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates sites. I can make a small commission on qualifying purchases.
💭 Frequently asked questions
No, I did not soak them and they turned out perfectly cooked and tender. You will often see recipes suggesting to soak sweet potatoes if they are making fries.
No, you do not have to peel them as long as you clean them very well. However, I do prefer to peel them before cooking.
One bacon wrapped sweet potato wedge is 2g net carbs. Therefore, they are likely to fit into daily macros on a ketogenic diet depending on what else you choose to consume. This recipe is also low carb and diabetic friendly.
Air Fryer Low Carb Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F
- Peel sweet potato and slice into wedges.
- In a large bowl whisk together the olive oil with the spices.
- Toss wedges in the spice mixture until well coated.
- Wrap each sweet potato wedge with a slice of bacon.
- Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray if needed and place the potatoes in the basket. Air fry for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through at 400°F.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines