Air Fryer Low Carb Stuffed Peppers are filled with tasty ground meat and cauliflower rice and topped with a tomato sauce and mozzarella. Stuffed peppers were a weekly staple in our house growing up. My mom would make them in the oven regularly and I always looked forward to eating them. These Air Fryer Low Carb Stuffed Peppers give me all the feels of being back home in my moms kitchen.
Ingredients in the Air Fryer Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- Bell Peppers: this one is obvious but green bell peppers are the lowest in carbs but if you are not too concerned about a couple extra carbs you can use any colour you fancy.
- Cauliflower Rice: I first cooked the rice in a dry pan to get out all the moisture. You will often see stuffed peppers with a mix of ground meat and rice. Cauliflower replaces the traditional rice and adds some texture to the peppers.
- Oregano: Not sure if it's because I'm Italian but oregano is my favourite spice. Giving it a light peppery flavour and reminds me of pizza sauce.
- Garlic: have you ever had an italian dish without garlic? It gives it that extra kick and gives it that warm nutty flavour.
Step by step instructions
STEP 1: Pan fry the cauliflower rice in a frying pan to dry it out and remove all the moisture.
STEP 2: In another pan saute the onion and garlic with salt, pepper and oregano and then add the ground meat and brown.
STEP 3: Add the cauliflower rice and mix in the tomatoe sauce until warmed through, set aside
STEP4: Trim the tops off of the bell peppers and clean out the guts, removing all seeds
STEP 5: Stuff each pepper with the ground meat mixture and then top with tomatoe sauce
STEP 6: Lightly oil the bottom of the air fryer basket and place stuffed peppers in basket to cook
STEP 7: Air Fry at 400 for 12 minutes, then top peppers with shredded mozzarella and air fry for another 3 minutes.
Recipe tips and serving suggestions
Tender Peppers: For a more tender pepper you may wish to parboil the peppers first before stuffing them. The air fryer does cook the peppers enough for my liking which results in a slight crunch to the pepper. However, some may prefer a tender bite. You can parboil in a large pot with water, voer and bring to a rolling boil on high heat and then bring the temperature downto a medium low and let peppers simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I use instead of peppers?
You can use zucchini, eggplant, tomatoes or mushrooms. However cooking times will vary depending on what you choose.
Can I freeze the stuffed peppers?
Yes, my mom used to freeze the stuffed peppers without the sauce and mozzarella in a freezer bad and bake them frozen in the oven. You can also freeze the cooked peppers in an air tight container and keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months. Allow to that and reheat in the microwave.
Can I make them vegetarian?
Yes, you can fill with cauliflower rice, mushrooms and garlic, roasted veggies and artichokes are good healthy options.
Do I have to use mozzarella cheese in the stuffed peppers?
No, any cheese will do as long as it's a melty cheese. Other than mozzarella, I prefer gruyere, emmental, provolone or gouda.
Will the peppers fall over in the air fryer?
They will if you don't prop them up evenly. Depending on the size of your air fryer you would only want to make as much as would fit to allow each pepper to lean on the other so they can stand up straight without tipping over. If they do tip over during the cooking process you can easily scoop the meat mixture back in.
What if I don't have an air fryer?
No biggie, make them in the oven in a baking dish ensuring proper sizing to keep the peppers standing upwards. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes.
Recent recipes you want to check out
Air Fryer Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 cup pan dried cauliflower rice
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 ¼ cup tomatoe sauce low carb sauce preferred
- 1 teaspoon oregano dried
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 oz Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pan dry the cauliflower rice in a medium frying pan until moisture evaporates
- Saute garlic and onion in olive oil with salt, pepper and oregano on low heat
- Add ground meat and brown on medium/high heat
- Add cauliflower and 1 cup tomatoe sauce and heat until warmed through, set aside to cool
- Cut tops off of peppers and clean out the insides with a pairing knife
- Fill each pepper with about 4 tablespoons of the meat mixture and top with 2 tablespoons of tomatoe sauce.
- Grease bottom of Air Fryer basket and place stuffed peppers upright in basket. Lean peppers onto each other to ensure they don't fall over during the cooking process
- Air fry for 12 minutes at 400°F, then top with cheese and air fry for another 3 minutes
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Check out this air fryer zucchini fries recipe post I developed for SwitchGrocery.com