Low Carb Focaccia brings me back to a time growing up with my italian family and the days when my mom would spend hours in the kitchen making bread. Focaccia is one of those breads she made on a regular basis in our household. She made all the bread for the family, from crusty loaf breads to focaccia. We loved when she made focaccia and we would always top it with juicy tomatoes, olive oil and garlic.
However, she made it with all purpose flour and it was definitely not low carb or diabetes friendly. Now, low carb focaccia is my go to bread recipe. Not only because it's easy but because I can play around with it and add ingredients like lemon and rosemary. Low Carb Focaccia only takes 10-12 minutes to make. This recipe I added fresh lemon slices and rosemary which give a freshness that is like no other bread.
What is Focaccia?
Low Carb Focaccia is a flatbread but unlike pizza, focaccia is a very wet dough. It is usually soft and chewy on the inside and smothered in olive oil and a sprinkle of rosemary and salt. Sliced and used as a sandwich, we usually had it with prosciutto and provolone cheese.
What does Focaccia mean?
The name focaccia derives from the Roman “panis focacius,” meaning “hearth bread”, referring to the fact that focaccia was traditionally baked in coals in Roman times. Its recipe back then consisted of rough flour, olive oil, water, a very small quantity of yeast, and salt, and was probably quite plain. (source: https://thesussexkitchen.com/blogs/blog/a-brief-history-of-focaccia)
Watch the Low Carb Focaccia Instructional Video
What is Focaccia used for?
Unlike regular loaves of bread focaccia is a flatbread typically smothered in olive oil and used as a sandwich bread. It is also great to dip into sauces, soups and dips. Low Carb Focaccia can be use as a side, a scooper, dipper and made into a pizza.
What type of Lemons did you use?
I used very thinly slices organic lemons in the low carb focaccia. I used a mandolin but you can use a knife if you can slice as thin as possible. If slices are too thick you will taste the bitterness from the lemon peel.
Low Carb Focaccia with Lemon and Rosemary
- 6 oz Shredded Mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon Cream cheese
- ¾ cup Almond Flour
- 1 large Egg Room Temperature
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Erythritol
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil 1 tablespoon for greasing sheet, 2 tablespoon for top of focaccia
- 6 slices Lemon sliced extremely thin
- 10 leaves Fresh rosemary
- 0.50 teaspoon Salt optional - I used flaked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Add mozzarella and cream cheese to a medium sized bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds
- Remove from microwave and mix with a fork and microwave again on high for 30 seconds
- Remove from microwave and mix well until combined
- Add almond flour, egg, garlic powder, erythritol and white wine vinegar and mix again until evenly combined.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and grease with olive oil
- Using your hands remove dough from bowl and form a ball, place on parchment and spread it out until an 8" rectangle has formed.
- Poke dimples into the dough with your knuckles and fill each dimple with a drizzle of olive oil.
- Top with lemon slices, rosemary and sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake in oven at 400°F for 10-12 minutes or focaccia is nice and golden
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.