The warmth of ginger truly gives this dish a zesty kick and the garlic provides that nutty sweetness. I am in love with the combination of ginger and garlic with a hint of sesame. There is nothing better than these ginger chicken thighs, braised in a soy and white wine sauce that adds a bit of elegance to an already amazing recipe.
What is Braised Ginger Chicken?
Braised ginger chicken is a method of cooking where you first lightly fry the chicken and then simmer it in a sauce. Braising concentrates and enhances the liquid flavour and tenderizes the meat. It’s typically a low temperature method of cooking in the oven.
What does ginger chicken taste like?
Ginger chicken tastes slightly peppery and sweet, with a pungent and spicy aroma. Similar to garlic it loses it’s pungency while cooking and maintains it’s warmth flavour.
Ginger Chicken Recipe Ingredients
Ginger and Garlic – for that spicy and warmth feeling that you simply cannot get from any other ingredients
Erythritol – gives it that little extra sweetness without the sugar spikes especially for people with diabetes
Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos – for that umami sweet taste with a hint of bitterness that add to the salty flavours
How to prepare ginger chicken thighs?
For this recipe you will need an oven safe skillet where you can first fry the chicken thighs skin side down. After frying is complete, the chicken is removed so we can layer in the flavours with the ginger, garlic, soy and white wine. We then let that reduce and place the chicken back into the skillet and bake the thighs in the oven. Once out of the oven we remove the chicken once again to allow the sauce to reduce and get nice and syropy. Lastly we place the chicken back into the skillet and smother with the sauce, top if off with some toasted sesame oil and seeds and garnish with some green onions.
How many carbs in Ginger Chicken?
Only 4g net carbs per chicken thigh
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes, this can be made ahead of time. I made it around mid afternoon and let it rest in the oven covered until dinner time. I reheated them at 350 for 10 minutes. Careful not to heat it too long as they will become dry. You may want to baste with the sauce a couple times if you plan to enjoy them much later.
Let’s Make the Keto Braised Ginger Chicken Thighs
There are many steps for this recipe. Therefore, you may want to review the instructional video before making this dish.
One Pot Keto Ginger Braised Chicken Thighs
- Add olive oil to skillet
- Fry chicken skin side down on medium/high heat, drain any excess liquid if required.
- Remove chicken from skillet once browned
- Using the same skillet add ginger, garlic and onion and saute until translucent
- Add wine and scrape the brown bits from bottom of skillet stirring gently
- Add soy or aminos, water and erythritol
- Simmer for 3 minutes
- Place browned chicken back into the skillet nestled between the ginger, onion and garlic
- Bake uncovered in oven at 425 for 40 minutes
- Remove skillet from oven and remove chicken and set aside
- Simmer sauce on stove top on medium heat until reduced by half
- Once reduced remove half the sauce and place chicken thighs back into the skillet, flipping the thighs in the sauce once to get them coated.
- Spoon the removed sauce over the chicken thighs
- Drizzle with sesame oil, sprinkle on the sesame seeds and garnish with green onion (optional)
Looking for more chicken recipes? Make these Keto Chicken Nuggets tonight!
Subscribe to be notified about new recipes!
- I send 3 emails every week and promise I won’t send you spam.
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
Looking for more low carb groceries in Canada? Head on over to SwitchGrocery.com for diabetic friendly, keto, low carb and paleo products.