Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole made Keto Style is generously loaded with chicken and cheddar cheese. This dish is my new comfort food as it hits all the right notes for me.
A one pot dish, full of gooey cheese, a little spicy and full of all the fajita flavours. It's basically like having a fajita in a bowl without the tortilla.
I remember as a child growing up in a small town we only had a fast food take-out taco place called Taco Time. My order would usually be a hard taco with mexi-fries and a soda. Come to think of it, I doubt this is what a true mexican restaurant would serve but it was the closest thing to mexican in the area.
Where I currently live in a town of only 12,000 people, there are no mexican restaurant options. Therefore, I had to learn how to make my own mexican food as it is one of my favourite cuisines. No kidding, who doesn't love meat, cheese and salsa?
If you are in the mood for a restaurant and have a Lone Star Texas Grill in your area, they have great fajitas.
What is a fajita?
Fajita means "little sash" in Spanish. However, the meat is usually grilled over high heat and served with sauted peppers, onions and a variety of other ingredients, depending who you ask. Often served with guacamole, cheese and sour cream.
Is Chicken Fajita an option for people with diabetes?
Yes if you eat them without the tortillas, they are a great option. I have gone to mexican restaurants and ordered the fajitas without the tortillas and simply ate the meat and veggies with some sour cream and cheese.
I skip the guacamole because of a food intolerance but that would also make a great topping.
How many carbs in Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole?
A portion of the chicken fajita is only 4.6g net carbs per serving. Now it depends on how many servings you have but I find this dish very filling with just one helping. Of course if you want to double your portion you may have to limit your carbs over other meas throughout the day.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Seasoning?
There are many recipes but for me I had to play around with what I preferred which is a blend of Chili and Garlic Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Salt and Pepper.
I find this tastes as close as those Fajita seasoning packets you can get from the grocery store. You can always buy those packets but check the ingredients because some of them could contain starch, flour and sugar.
Step By Step Instructions
Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350
- add 1 tablespoon of olive to a casserole dish and evenly coat it by wiping with a paper napkin. If you have cooking spray you can use it instead
- Place 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs in the casserole dish, cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan saute onions and peppers with a dash of salt and pepper until soft
- remove chicken from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Using two forks shred chicken
- In a large bowl add the cream cheese, half of the cheddar and seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Add the sauted onions and peppers and then toss in the shredded chicken and mix well
- Add all the contents from the bowl into the same casserole dish used for the chicken and spread evenly. Top with cheddar and bake for 30 minutes at 350. If cheddar is not golden and bubbly you may need to set the oven on broil for a couple of minutes at the end.
Garnish (optional) - sour cream, green onions, salsa, guacamole
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
For another mexican (tex-mex) recipe head on over to my Chili recipe made in the instant pot under 30 minutes.