This Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Recipe is one of those side dishes around the Thanksgiving table that nobody can resist. Topped with bacon crumble and crispy pork rind crumbs, this low carb keto dish will be a hit with everyone.
Typically made around the holidays a green bean casserole seems to be one of those dishes you can't go without next to the stuffing and the cranberry sauce.
Growing up in an italian family this was not a typical dish we had next to the turkey. My mom usually made lasagna or cannelloni because she couldn't enjoy a family dinner without some kind of pasta dish. Now, I enjoy a turkey with all the low carb fixings. In fact this casserole dish reminds me of my Chicken Fajita Casserole recipe.
🥘 Ingredients Used
A traditional green bean casserole would be topped with some french fried onions but today we are using crushed pork rinds which I would say make it even better than the traditional. We are also skipping the can of mushroom soup and creating our very own creamy onion mixture.
- Fresh Green Beans: you can use frozen green beans in this recipe but I have a preference for using fresh green beans. If using frozen just make sure to cook them a bit longer until they are tender. Canned beans can also be used in a pinch.
- Cream cheese: adding a rich and creamy texture to the sauce that will coat the green beans
- Cheddar Cheese: giving the sauce more cheesy flavours
- Onion: used for the sweet creamy sauce that will bring out all the flavours in this dish.
- Pork Rinds: adding a crispy texture on top of the green beans is a must for this dish.
👨🏻🍳 Steps to make this casserole recipe
How to make the keto green bean casserole dish?
STEP 1: Trim and cook your green beans to desired doneness and set aside into a large bowl. I steamed mine on the stovetop but you can also pressure cook them in the instant pot or boil them on the stove.
STEP 2: In a medium saucepan on medium low heat, saute the onions and minced garlic with salt until soft and then add the cream cheese in chunks and chicken broth. Stir until melted and mixed through. Then add the worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, black pepper and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until all is mixed through a creamy. About 10-15 minutes for the onions to soften and then another 5 minutes to mix through the other ingredients.
STEP 3: In the large bowl with the green beans, mix in 1 cup of bacon crumbles and the cheesy sauce mixture. Combine until the beans are well coated.
- STEP 4: Transfer to a buttered baking dish and then top with the crushed pork rinds and a drizzle with olive oil.
STEP 5: Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes until pork rinds are crispy and golden.
👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
This keto low carb green bean casserole can be made with various different cheeses and toppings
- Cheese - different types of cheeses can be used such as emmental, gruyere or fontina cheese
- Pork Rind Topping - if pork rinds isn't your thing, top the green beans with grated parmesan cheese instead for an even cheesier dish and they will add a crispy topping.
- Cheese Crisps - use crushed cheese crisps like Whisps or Parm Crisps instead of pork rinds to top the green beans.
- Vegetarian - making it vegetarian and omit the pork rinds and bacon from this recipe.
Another great side dish recipe is my Cheesy Low Carb Cauliflower Mash
♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
Top Tips: make this dish ahead of time and place in an airtight container and freeze until needed. Remove the day before consuming and warm up for 15 minutes in the oven at 300°F. Top with more crushed pork rinds if desired.
- Serving: serve with all the thanksgiving fixings or holiday dishes
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days
💭 Frequently asked questions
Yes, as this dish is made sugar free and gluten free with only 4g net carbs per serving, it is sure to fit into a diabetic diet as well as a keto and low carb diet.
It was considered easy to make and was inexpensive and could feed many people and therefore ended up on the table for holiday meals such as thanksgiving.
If you enjoyed this recipe I would love it if you would share it on social or pin it on Pinterest.
Low Carb Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Trim and cook the green beans to desired doneness and set aside into a large bowl.
- In a medium saucepan on medium low heat, saute the onions and minced garlic with salt until soft and then add the cream cheese in chunks and the chicken broth.
- Stir the onions until the cream cheese is melted and mixed through. Then add the worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, black pepper and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until all is mixed through a creamy.
- In the large bowl with the green beans, mix in 1 cup of bacon crumbles and the cheesy onion sauce mixture. Combine until the green beans are well coated.
- Transfer to a buttered casserole dish and then top with the crushed pork rinds and a drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for about 15 minutes until pork rinds are crispy and golden.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines