Once in a while I spot some pork belly at the grocery store and I just have to grab it. When I first used to buy pork belly, I never knew how to make it and it always turned out to be this disgusting looking blob of fat with a little bit of meat. After a couple tries I think I have finally mastered how to make a crispy pork belly with a sweet and spicy taste.
Because of the fat content in pork belly it can be difficult to get it to that right tenderness without it coming out too floppy or too dry and crunchy. I found the best way to make it is to first boil it with a few ingredients and then fry it up in a pan on the stove. This way you can keep an eye on it and take it off the burner when it's just right.
This Sweet and Spicy Keto Pork Belly is really easy to make and is a perfect with a side of coleslaw.
Sweet Spicy Keto Pork Belly
Slow Cooked Pork Belly
- Cut the pork belly into finger sized pieces
- Place a medium sized pot on the stove at high heat and add the chicken stock and the remaining ingredients and give it a good swirl
- Once boiling add the pork belly
- Lower the heat and cover with lid, allow to simmer for about 2 hours
- After 2 hours, strain and chop the pork into bite sized chunks
- Heat up olive oil in a medium sized frying pan and add the pork
- Allow pork to fry up, it will look floppy and flubbery at first but be patient.
- Keep turning the pork so it becomes browned on all sides
- It may start to crackle and pop, I used this splatter screen to avoid pork belly flying all over the stove
- Once browned add the soy or tamari or coconut aminos and the remaining ingredients.
- Continue to fry, you may need to lower the temp occasionally if its crackling too much but increase it again to get the pork nice an crispy.
- I had to lower the temp and then increase several times in order to get the pork belly just right
- Once its dark, sticky and a little bit crispy it's good to go!
How about some Chewy Gingerbread Cookies for an after dinner treat?
Interested in shopping in My Amazon store? I earn a small commission when you purchase something from Amazon after clicking on my links which helps me to fund the use of this website. I am so thankful for any help, this way I can continue to share my health journey.