This Keto Fauxtato Salad is a low carb and keto take on a classic potato salad with a creamy dill dressing.
Made with roasted cauliflower which makes this even better than a potato salad. Keto Fauxtato Salad is going to be your summer jam! Great for low carb, keto and people with diabetes as it's only 2g net of carbs per serving.
So next time you are having a BBQ or picnic, you need to make this low carb version of a potato salad and roast up some cauliflower and be the hit of the party! Nobody will be missing potatoes with this salad.
For another summer treat and Canadian classic check out my Keto Beaver Tails recipe.
Main ingredients used in the keto fauxtato salad
- Cauliflower: roasted to perfection which gives this keto potato salad loads of flavour
- Hard Boiled Eggs: can you have a potato salad with hard boiled eggs, adding another layer of texture
- Onions: we used a crunch red onion for this recipe
- Dill: a potato salad without dill would just be a sad salad
- Pickles: giving more dill flavour and texture by adding some crunchy dill pickles
Step by step instructions
How to make keto fauxtato salad?
- STEP 1: Cut up the cauliflower into bite size pieces, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes, tossing half way through. Allow to completely cool
- STEP 2: Once cooled, toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- STEP 3: Dice the red onion and soak in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, this will take the bite out of the onion for this salad.
- STEP 4: Coarsely chop the 2 eggs, pickles and celery, add them to the cauliflower. Then add add the mayo, sour cream, mustard and the strained onions.
STEP5: Mix well and store in the fridge at least 1 hour before serving. This salad tastes even better if kept in the fridge overnight and enjoyed the next day
Here are some tips on how to enjoy this delicious low carb fauxtato salad.
Top Tip: don't skip the pickles. Pickles give this recipe a punch and sometimes I even add a few tablespoons of pickle juice just because I can't get enough.
Tip: for the best results make this salad the day before serving.
Serving: best served foods you would normally enjoy at a bbq like burgers, hot dogs, steaks and ribs.
Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This keto fauxtato salad recipe is delicious as is, here are some variations you might prefer.
Dairy Free: make this a dairy free salad and omit the sour cream.
Herbs: add different herbs to this salad like cilantro, fresh basil or rosemary for an additional flavour profile.
Protein: want to add some protein to this salad, tear off some chunks of chicken from a rotisserie chicken and toss them in the salad.
Other low carb salad recipes you might enjoy
Frequently asked questions
This salad contains roughly 2g of carbs per serving and therefore should be safe for diabetics to consume. However, you should always monitor your blood sugars after consuming new recipes.
You do not have to roast the cauliflower for this recipe. However, it does give the cauliflower a nice roasted flavour and makes them less crunchy.
Keto Fauxtato Salad
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 medium pickles
- 2 large hard boiled eggs
- 2 stalks celery
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up the cauliflower into bite size pieces, toss in olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in the oven at 425 for 40 minutes, tossing half way through.
- Once out of the oven let cool, then toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Chop a medium red onion and soak in a bowl of water for 10 minutes, this gives the onions a more mild taste.
- Chop the 2 eggs, pickles and celery, add them to the cauliflower.
- Add the mayo, sour cream and mustard and freshly chopped dill.
- Finally strain and add the onions.
- Mix well and store in the fridge at least 1 hour before serving.
- This salad tastes even better if kept in the fridge overnight and enjoyed the next day.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.