As a diabetic this Sugar Free Keto Pecan Pie means the world to me. Who would have thought I would be eating this delicious silky, sweet blend of eggs, butter and loads of pecans held together in a flaky crust. Keeping it low carb at only 3g net carbs per serving.
Fall is definitely pie season and I think the most popular pie of all is a Pecan Pie. So I set out to make a sugar free pecan pie recipe that everyone can enjoy around the table.
I was inspired to make this diabetic pecan pie recipe after making my Keto Butter Tarts as they used a lot of the same ingredients and realized they are almost the same thing, except for extra pecans and the size. Plus it is one of my favourite low carb recipes to make.
📺 Watch how to make a keto pecan pie
🥘 Ingredients to make the pie
This sugar free keto pecan pie has a flaky crust made with almond flour, coconut flour, butter and eggs. The golden syrupy filling is made with brown sugar swerve, butter, eggs and a touch of xanthan gum. See full ingredients for the keto pecan pie in the recipe card down below.
- Almond Flour: ground blanched almonds were used which gives it a slightly nutty flavour
- Coconut Flour: giving a mild sweet taste to the crust
- Brown Sugar Swerve: this low carb sweetener is made with erythritol and gives the filling a touch of caramel flavour that makes them ultra lux.
- Butter: helps create the light flaky pastry that we want in these tarts
- Apple Cider Vinegar: helps to strengthen the dough and make it more springy
- Xanthan Gum: a great low carb stabilizer to prevent the ingredients from separating
- Eggs: helps thicken ane emulsify the luscious filling
👨🏻🍳 Steps to make the pie
How to make a sugar free pecan pie?
I strongly suggest watching the instructional video to see the detailed steps to make this pecan pie.
STEP 1: First we make the pie crust recipe. Mix the flour with the butter and the cream cheese. You can use two forks to do this but a pastry blender would work as well. Using your hands roll it into a ball, place in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for an hour.
STEP 2: After removing the dough from the fridge roll it on parchment paper with a sprinkle of coconut flour, then place a parchment paper on top to help roll out the dough to about a 10" diameter.
STEP 3: Place a 9" pie pan on top of the dough and flipped it with the parchment paper underneath so that the dough is on top of the pie plate. Remove the parchment and then fold in and pinch the edges. Store the pie crust in the fridge until the filling is ready.
- STEP 4: In a medium saucepan over low/medium heat mix together the brown sugar swerve and the butter until it's all melted together. Allow it to simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Then remove it from the heat and whisked in the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and maple extract. Once the filling is cool to the touch, add in the egg and sprinkle in the xanthan gum while vigorously whisking.
STEP 5: Roughly chop the pecan halves (reserve about 20 for the top). Add the chopped pecans into the pie crust and then top with the filling. Top with the remaining pecan halves and bake in a preheated oven at 350*F for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven when the centre is slightly jiggly but the rest is firm. I like the crust nice and golden brown but if you prefer you can tinfoil the crust before baking.
STEP 6: Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before slicing into this keto friendly low carb dessert.
👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
There are so many things you can add to this pie recipe to make it a little more special. I went with the classic sugar free pecan pie but here are some suggestions.
- Chocolate Chips - add some sugar free or low carb chocolate chips to make a keto chocolate pecan pie
- Coffee - give it a little kick with some espresso powder or instant coffee, it will enhance the flavours and give you a hint of coffee flavour
- Nuts - if you're not a fan of pecans you can sub with walnuts for a sugar free walnut pie or make it with peanuts or cashews instead
See this Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie for an easy no bake dessert.
♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
Top Tip: once the keto pie is cooled the filling will crystallize a little bit. Simply microwave a slice for about 20 seconds to bring it back to a better consistency.
- Serving: serve the low carb pecan pie warm. Enjoy it topped with a sugar free vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Storage: store the pie covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Freeze: if you want to freeze the pie you should wrap it in tin foil and then in a strong freezer bag and keep in the freezer for up to one month.
🥣 Equipment used to make
Having the right equipment is essential when baking but sometimes I like to make due with what I have. Here are some of the items I used to make this keto pecan pie.
- I always have parchment paper on hand, for me, it is a must for baking.
- Using silicone rubber spatulas always come in handy when baking, wooden spoons are a good substitute if it's just for mixing
- Having a good strong whisk on helps to bring a lot of ingredients together
- I couldn't have made this recipe without a heavy bottom saucepan
- Making this sugar free pecan pie would not be possible without a pie plate
- My rolling pin does not get enough use as sometimes. I often use a tumbler glass to roll out dough but in a recipe like this I prefer a rolling pin.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Traditional pecan pie is made with high fructose corn syrup which contributes to diabetes and inflammation. The good news is that this pie is not made with corny syrup and is a much healthier option.
Pre Baking is not necessary for this crust.
Each serving contains about 382 calories.
A serving of this pecan pie has about 7g of carbohydrates with 4g of fiber and 1g of sugar. Therefore, this pecan pie with less sugar would be considered diabetic friendly as there is no ingredients used that typically would spike blood sugars. However, all foods affect people differently and you should always monitor your blood sugars after consuming to see how it affect you personally.
If you enjoyed this recipe it would mean so much if you would share on social or pin on pinterest. Please also rate and leave a comment below.
Sugar Free Keto Pecan Pie
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt and xanthan gum
- add the butter and cream cheese and use a pastry blender or two forks to cut them into the flour mixture until small pellets form.
- using a rubber spatula add in the egg and apple cider vinegar and mix together until combined. Then use hands to knead the dough for about a minute and form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for an hour.
- after an hour place a parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle with coconut flour. Remove dough from fridge and place on the parchment, sprinkle more coconut flour on the dough and then top with another sheet of parchment. Roll out the dough until it is about a 10" diameter.
- Once rolled out remove top parchment paper and place a 9" pie plate upside down onto the dough. Placing one hand underneath the parchment paper and on on the bottom of the pie plate, flip so that the dough is sitting on the pie plate. Gently remove the parchment, fold in and pinch the edges of the pie crust. Set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Im a medium saucepan on low/medium heat add the brown sugar swerve and butter. Continue to stir regularly until all is melted and dissolved. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and maple extract.
- Once cool to the touch whisk in the egg and sprinkle in the xanthan gum a little at a time while continuing to whisk.
- Roughly chop the pecans halves, reserving about 20 halves for the top of the pie.
- Remove pie crust from the fridge and transfer the chopped pecans to the crust, spread them out evenly. Top with the pie filling and then evenly place the 20 pecan halves facing up on top of the filling.
- Bake in the oven at 350*F for 45-50 minutes. Once the pie is slightly jiggly in the centre but firm around it, the pie is ready. (you can place tinfoil around the crust if you want a more lighter crust)
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines