This spicy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole is total comfort food with a little twist. If you love buffalo chicken wings, you will love this low carb healthy buffalo chicken casserole. A perfect home-cooked meal that the whole family will enjoy.
This is a great casserole to make with your leftover spaghetti squash and is a delicious healthy dinner recipe that will be on rotation.
This recipe was inspired by my Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Fritters recipe. Spaghetti squash casserole is a new favorite in my house and will be yours too.
🥘 Main ingredients used in the buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole
The main ingredient in this buffalo chicken casserole recipe uses cooked spaghetti squash which you can see how I made it in the oven in this recipe here.
- Spaghetti Squash: has a mild and neutral taste and is slightly sweet. It looks like spaghetti when you scrape the inside of the squash with a fork after cooking spaghetti squash. Spaghetti squash recipes can vary, another recipe I want to try is a buffalo chicken stuffed spaghetti squash or a cheesy buffalo chicken. Look out for those recipes coming soon.
- Shredded Chicken: adding chicken to this casserole increases the protein but also gives you that chicken wing flavor when it's mixed with the sauce.
- Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce: because we want that chicken wing flavor that Franks will bring to this recipe.
- Bacon Crumble: adding another level of yumminess to this recipe that bacon will give that salty and meaty flavor.
- Diced Jalapenos: adding another notch of heat to this dish, is completely optional but I like to live on the edge sometimes.
- Blue Cheese: this is another optional ingredient but you can use crumbled blue cheese or add some blue cheese dressing to this dish after baking.
More low carb dinner ideas you will love
- Low Carb French Onion Soup
- Creamy Keto Pesto Chicken
- Low Carb Pizza Bowls
- Healthy Taco Pasta
- Keto Baby Back Ribs
👨🏻🍳 Step by step instructions
How to make the buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole
Before you begin, cook and prepare the medium spaghetti squash and the shredded cooked chicken. I find the easiest way to cook the spaghetti squash is to cut it in half and place both halves cut side down in a baking pan with 1 inch of water. Bake in the oven at 350°F for 45 minutes. See full instructions here or make it in the instant pot.
STEP 1: Whisk together the olive oil, egg, spices and buffalo sauce in a large bowl until well combined.
STEP 2: Mix in the cooked spaghetti squash strands and shredded chicken breast. Then add the crumbled bacon, blue cheese crumbles and diced jalapenos. Mix until well combined.
STEP 3: Transfer to a casserole dish or baking dish and bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 25 minutes and then broil for 5 minutes just to get the top a little crispy.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe Tips
Top Tip: Squeeze the cooked spaghetti squash to remove any extra moisture before adding it to this recipe.
- Serving: serve as a meal in a bowl or fill the empty squash cups and make cute little spaghetti squash boats.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
- Meal prep: this recipe is great for meal prep lunches as it makes enough for 8 servings.
♨️ Recipe Variations
The number of ingredients you can add to this dish is endless. Just think of all the different flavors of wings you can find at a restaurant to get ideas. Here are some of the ways I would get creative with this recipe.
- Dressing: top this recipe with any store-bought ranch dressing, cheese dressing, sour cream or greek yogurt for a creamy topping.
- Cream Cheese: add 2 ounces of cream cheese to this recipe for an added creamy texture
- Grated Cheese: top the dish in the last 5-minute broil for a more cheesy dish
Skip the hot sauce, blue cheese and jalapenos and add these variations.
- Garpar - melted butter, grated parmesan and garlic powder would make a great sauce for this dish.
- Lemon Pepper - mix melted butter with lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic (minced or powdered) and black pepper
For another spaghetti dish see my Keto Spaghetti Carbonara recipe.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Yes. This dish is only 5g of carbohydrates per serving and is a healthier option than using regular spaghetti. There is no other added sugar in this recipe except the natural sweetness from the spaghetti squash.
As far as squashes go, you won't find anything like the texture of spaghetti squash. However, you can use a zucchini squash and spiralize it but it would change the flavor and texture and would not really work.
Good spaghetti squash should be firm and have golden yellow skin without any spots or cracks. They usually feel heavier than they look. The bigger the squash the better the taste but will also yield too much for this recipe you can use the rest for other recipes.
Spaghetti Squash Buffalo Chicken
- Prepare the spaghetti squash as per instructions and link above. Cook and shred the chicken.3 cups cooked spaghetti squash, 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the olive oil, egg, hot sauce and spices.½ tablespoon olive oil, 1 large egg, ⅓ cup franks red hot buffalo sauce, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- add the spaghetti squash and chicken and mix until combined.
- add the crumbled blue cheese, bacon crumble and diced jalapenos (all optional) and mx through.½ cup blue cheese, ¼ cup bacon crumbles, 1 tablespoon diced jalapenos
- transfer to a casserole dish and bake in the oven at 400°F for 25 minutes, then another 5 minutes under the broiler.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines