Melted and bubbly Low Carb Pizza Bowl with pepperoni, loads of mozzarella cheese, green peppers and a low carb marinara sauce. Easy to make in the oven or air fryer and ready in 15 minutes. Perfect for a quick lunch or family dinner, everyone will love these pizza bowls and won't even know they are keto, low carb and diabetic friendly. Only 3g net carbs per bowl.
Keto pizza bowl recipe is a family favorite and we make it at least once a week. Super easy when you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen but want that homemade pizza meal.
Want another Italian inspired easy recipe? Try this Lazy Low Carb Lasagna.
This perfect easy crustless pizza bowl will give you all the pizza feels without loading up on carbs. Plus you can choose your favorite pizza toppings just like a traditional pizza.
Why you'll love this low carb pizza bowl?
- It's a healthy and keto friendly pizza and only 3g net carbs per bowl. It's also glute free.
- Great for meal prep bowls and pre-made for another day.
- Made with a low carb marinara so you can still have the same pizza flavor without the extra carbs.
- Whipped up and ready to eat in 15 minutes.
- Kids will love them on pizza night, what's not to love when you are having pizza?
- Can be made in the oven or air fryer
This keto friendly pizza bowl is made with traditional pizza ingredients without the crust. Feel free to add more of your favorite pizza toppings.
- Low Carb Marinara: for the base of this recipe we use a low carb marinara sauce like Rao's Tomato Sauce.
- Pepperoni: a classic pizza topping with a salty, little spicy and tangy flavor.
- Green Peppers: an optional ingredient but we like to add a few vegetables to our low carb pizza bowl.
- Mozzarella: perfect for pizza for its soft texture, easy to melt and a stretchy cheese pull for those insta-worthy photos.
- Parmesan: for that added nutty and salty touch to top the pizza.
- Red Pepper and Parsley Flakes are optional but definitely worth adding.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make a low carb pizza bowl?
Don't forget to watch the video to see how I made these low carb pizza bowls in the oven and in the air fryer.
STEP 1: First fry the green peppers and pepperoni. We want to cook them first before adding them to the pizza bowls to shorten the cooking time under the broiler without burning that beautiful bubbly cheese.
Pat the pepperoni with a paper towel to remove any access oil and set it aside.
STEP 2: Turn the oven on to broil. Then place 4 - 4 oz ramekins or oven-safe bowl on a baking sheet.
Start layering the bowls first with about a tablespoon of marinara sauce, then the shredded mozzarella cheese, diced and cooked green peppers and then 4 slices of the cooked pepperoni.
STEP 3: Then layer again with the marinara, and shredded mozzarella cheese and top it off with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes and parsley flakes. The pepper and parsley flakes are optional.
- STEP 4: Finish filling all 4 bowls and then place them on the baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes. You want to warm the ingredients and get the cheese melted and bubbling. Once the cheese starts to brown it is safe to remove from the oven.
Serve immediately but be careful handling the ramekins as they will be super hot.
Air Fryer Low Carb Pizza Bowls
Making these low carb air fryer pizza bowls is just as easy as the oven method.
- STEP 1: Follow all the steps above, however, use a mini tinfoil loaf pan for the air fryer method.
- STEP 2: Place the loaf pan into the air fryer basket and cook on 400°F for 5-8 minutes.
- STEP 3: Carefully remove the pizza pan out of the air fryer basket and serve immediately.
These air fryer pizza bowls are a perfect low carb meal prep especially when you purchase the tinfoil loaf pins with the plastic lid/covers. Freeze them and take them out when you are ready to have them. Allow thawing at room temperature before air frying.
Other low carb pizza recipes you might enjoy
- Zero Carb Crust Pizza
- Diabetic Friendly (Fathead Pizza)
- Keto Air Fryer Pizza
- Tortilla Pizza in the Air Fryer
- Thin Crust Low Carb Lavash Bread Pizza
Time Saving Tip: if you really want something quick you can cook these low carb pizza bowls in the microwave. Microwave on high for 1 minute until the cheese is melted. You may not get the same browned crispy cheese on the top but in a pinch, it's a quick and easy method.
Meal Prep Bowls: make these bowls ahead of time, cover with plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Serving: serve with a side salad like this Low Carb Panzanella Salad
- Storage: store any leftovers in the ramekins covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1 minute.
Just like traditional pizza these bowls can have endless toppings. Here are a few suggestions for toppings and variations on how to make them.
- crumbled bacon
- ground beef
- ground sausage
- sliced onions
- green olives
- black olives
- provolone cheese
- feta cheese
- goat cheese
- pecorino romano
- blue cheese
- italian seasoning
Ranch Pizza - use ranch dressing for the sauce and top with provolone cheese, cooked chicken and bacon crumbles.
BBQ Pizza - use a low carb bbq sauce instead and top with grilled steak and provolone cheese.
Frequently asked questions
Each low carb pizza bowl contains only 3g net carbs and are like to fit into your daily macros if on a keto diet.
Papa John's has recently released pizza bowls. However, they are quite pricy and would prefer to make them at home. There may be other pizza chains but I am only aware of this one. Other chains like Pizza Hut and Dominos may custom make a pizza bowl for you.
As we use a low-carb marinara sauce and low-carb ingredients, I would say it may be safe for someone with diabetes. I always suggest monitoring your blood sugar when trying new recipes as everyone reacts differently to different foods.
Low Carb Pizza Bowl
- Set the oven on Broil
- Cook the green peppers and pepperoni seperately in a frying pan.½ cup green peppers diced, 16 pepperoni slices
- Place the 4 ramekins on a baking tray.
- Layer the low carb pizza bowls by first adding the marinara sauce, mozzarella, green peppers and then pepperoni.½ cup green peppers diced, 2 cups raos tomato sauce, 2 cups mozzarella shredded, 16 pepperoni slices
- Then add another layer of marinara, cheese and top it with a sprinkle of grated parmesan. Top with parsley and red pepper flakes (optional).2 cups raos tomato sauce, 2 cups mozzarella shredded, ½ cup grated parmesan, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- Broil for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- See the above instructions within the post for the air fryer method.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines