This Lazy Low Carb Lasagna is a quick and easy way to get your lasagna fix without all the work and time to make it. Simply made with CheeseFolio wraps and a creamy meat sauce. Minimal ingredients and perfect for those busy days when you want to enjoy a good meal without all the fuss. Alternatively if you want to put in the work and make the full lasagna pan you can follow my Easy Homemade Low Carb Lasagna recipe.
Table of Contents:
Ingredients used in this recipe
- Cheesefolio wraps: I use the parmesan cheese wraps as the size was perfect for a loaf pan. Slice to fit your loaf pan and use the remaining to fill any gaps when layering the lasagna. Alternatively you can use provolone cheese slices instead.
- Cream cheese: adding cream cheese to the ground beef not only adds flavour but holds the lasagna well when it sets. There is nothing that irks me more than cutting into a lasagna and it falls apart. More cheese less sauce makes it hold together firmly.
- Tomatoe sauce: you can use a low carb tomatoe sauce for this dish to keep the carbs low. If you prefer a saucier lasagna I recommend using a low carb sauce like Rao's.
- Herbs: using fresh basil makes a world of difference, the fragrance alone makes me feel like I'm in italy. I also used garlic powder and dry oregano.
Recipe instructional video
Step by step instructions
STEP 1: brown the ground beef in a medium sized frying pan.
STEP 2: Next add the seasonings, sauce and cream cheese and mix together until warmed through and cheese is creamy and melty.
STEP 3: Remove pan from heat and allow to cool.
STEP 4: Cut the four Cheesefolio wraps into the size of your loaf pan. I used a 8" loaf pan for this recipe.
STEP5: Layer the lasagna by first spooning a layer of sauce first, then a cheese slice and use the end pieces to fill any gaps.
STEP 6: add meat layer and top with sauce. Layer until all ingredients are used. You can add more layers if you have more beef, cheese and sauce.
STEP 7: Once all the layers are added, top the final slice of cheese with sauce.
STEP 8: Place in a preheated oven at 375 F for 20 minutes, then broil for 10 minutes and remove from oven and let it set for 10 minutes before diving in.
Recipe tips and serving suggestions
You can increase and use the same ingredients to make a larger lasagna pan. Increase the oven time to 1 hour and broil for 10 minutes.
If you prefer your a firm lasagna when you cut into it, try to resist using too much sauce. The cream cheese helps to keep the lasagna firm, too much sauce will make it fall apart when you cut into it.
Allow the lasagna to sit for 10 minutes once it's out of the oven. This will allow the lasagna to set and be easier to slice. Plus all the sauce will soak back up in with the meat and cheese.
I love serving my lasagna with my Panzanella Salad or a nice green salad, some roasted veggies or sauteed rapini.
If you don't want to purchase a low carb sauce you can swap the sauce with a pesto or a cream sauce to keep it low carb, keto and diabetes friendly.
Frequently asked questions
You can use thinly sliced zucchini in place of noodles to keep it low carb. I have also seen lasagna made with thinly sliced eggplant.
My mother would often add ricotta cheese to her lasagna which is always a good idea. The choice of cheeses are endless. My go to would be mozzarella, provolone or fontina cheese.
Sadly I don't think there is a low carb noodle recipe or product you can use that wouldn't fall apart in this recipe. I do have a carnivore noodle recipe but I have yet to try it in a lasagna.
There are 5g net carbs per serving. This lazy low carb loaf pan lasagna serves 3 people
I call it lazy because it's a quick and easy way to make lasagna without having to boil the noodles like you would with a traditional lasagna. Plus it's made in a loaf pan so it takes less time to prepare and less time in the oven than a traditional 9" x 13" lasagna pan would.
Different foods affect people differently and I could not tell you if it will spike your blood sugars. As a type 2 diabetic I will test my blood sugars frequently after trying new foods or recipes to see how it affects me. However, all the ingredients used in this recipe are low on the glycemic index and are less likely to spike blood sugars. Monitor your blood sugars to see how it affects you personally.
Subscribe to our newsletter
You'll receive an email every time we post a recipe, plus our top 3 recipes delivered to your inbox right now!
More recipes you will love
Lazy Low Carb Lasagna Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 °F
- Brown the ground beef and then add the seasonings, tomatoe sauce and cream cheese until warmed through, remove from stove top and allow to cool.
- Slice the cheese wraps into the size of the loaf pan and then layer the lasagna
- Start with the sauce on the bottom, then cheese, meat, sauce and then cheese again until you have 3 layers.
- Top with sauce and bake in oven at 375 °F for 20 minutes, briol for 10 minutes and then remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.