This Easy Homemade Low Carb Lasagna Recipe is loaded with ground beef and cheese while using layers of deli turkey and provolone slices as the noodles.
Most people do not even realize there are no noodles in this diabetic lasagna recipe. We are keeping the carbs low without the noodles so you can enjoy this tasty, oozing with cheese, keto lasagna without the extra carbs.
These days I make my lasagna a little different because of my diabetes I had to learn how to make lasagna without the noodles. Luckily there are many variations of low carb lasagnas out there, one of my favs is Marie Emmerichs lasagna.
This inspired me to recreate my mothers lasagna they way she did it but without the noodles.
Now I enjoy this keto friendly lasagna not only on special occasions but whenever i'm in the mood for it. It's such an easy dish, the only time consuming part is browning the beef.
Main Ingredients Used
The main ingredients used to make this low carb lasagna consist of deli turkey slices, provolone slices, ground beef and cheese.
- Delic Turkey Slices: we use deli turkey slices to replicate the lasagna noodles
- Provolone Cheese Slices: slices of provolone cheese are use to reinforce the turkey slices while recreating a lasagna noodle layer.
- Ground Beef: browned and mixed with garlic and onions in the tomato sauce are used as the base filling for this diabetic friendly lasagna.
- Tomato Sauce: use a low carb sauce like Rao's low carb marinara or simply use a passata starter sauce and add your own ingredients like garlic, italian seasoning and basil.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the easy homemade low carb lasagna?
STEP 1: In a large pot over low heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent and then add the ground beef to brown. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste about ⅛th teaspoon of each.
STEP 2: Add the 2 jars of sauce and mix well. Bring the heat down to low and place a lid on the pot to simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the burner, remove the lid and let cool for another 15 minutes.
STEP 3: Preheat oven to 425°F
Using a 9" x 13" baking pan you can now start the assembly by coating the bottom of the pan with sauce. Then layer the turkey slices. I used 6 slices per layer but you may need to use more, depending on how big your slices are. Next layer the provolone, I used 8 slices per layer.
STEP 4: Layer the meat sauce on top of the provolone and then sprinkle with some shredded mozzarella.
STEP 5: Continue the layering again with the turkey and provolone slices topped with the sauce and shredded mozzarella. You should have 3 layers, if you are using a deep pan you may be able to get a 4th layer.
Sprinkle some grated parmesan on the final layer and then cover the pan with tinfoil. Place in the oven for 30 minutes at 425°F, then remove foil and continue to bake for another 30 minutes.
STEP 6: Remove from oven, let sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the lasagna to set. This will make it easier to slice without it falling apart.
Let the lasagna rest
Just like you want a good steak to rest to allow the juices to soak up into the meat. Allow the sauce and cheese to firm up by letting the the low carb lasagna rest after removing from the oven. When you cut into it you will get a more uniform slice without the lasagna falling apart.
How to store leftovers?
Lasagna is perfect for leftovers. I often cut into squares and wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer up to a month. Perfect for a quick meal during the week. Heat up in a pan or place in the microwave on high for about 1-2 minutes.
What to serve with lasagna?
Enjoy with a nice caesar salad without the croutons and how about this delicious Keto Tiramisu for dessert?
Frequently asked questions
Always start with a layer of sauce on the bottom, then the noodles. In this case the keto lasagna noodles are the turkey and provolone slices. Then the meat sauce and mozzarella cheese and then another 2-3 layers. I always top mine off with grated parmesan.
Yes, you can add ricotta to this lasagna. I would mix some ricotta in a bowl with a little bit of the sauce so you can spread it out over the layers.
Easy Homemade Low Carb Lasagna
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 lbs ground beef
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 650 ml jars tomato sauce Use your favourite low carb sauce
- 18 slices deli turkey
- 24 slices provolone
- 3 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup parmesan grated
- In a large pot over low heat, saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the onion and garlic are transluscent add the 2 lbs of ground beef and brown on medium heat.
- Add the 2 jars of sauce and mix well.
- Bring the heat down to low and place a lid on the pot to let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the burner, remove the lid and let cool for another 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Using a 9" x 13" baking pan you can now assemble the lasagna.
- Start with coating the bottom of the pan with some of the tomatoe sauce.
- Layer the turkey slices, I used 6 slices per layer but you may need to use more, depending on how big your slices are.
- Next layer the provolone, I used 8 slices per layer.
- Layer on the meat sauce.
- Add layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Layer another 2 more times, for a total of 3 layers. If you are using a shallow pan you may only have 2 layers or if your pan is deeper you could possibly have 4 layers.
- Cover with tinfoil and place in oven for 30 minutes, I placed my pan on a cookie sheet in case there was any spill over.
- Remove from oven, remove the tinfoil and place back in the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the lasagna to set. This will make it easier to slice without it falling apart.
- I sliced it in squares with a sharp knife and then I removed each square with a metal spatula
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines