This truly is the best low carb lasagna you will ever have. If you really knew me you would know that lasagna has always been my favourite dish. I love my moms lasagna and enjoyed having it on special occasions. As I got older I would always wake up early on Christmas morning to make lasagna with my mother. It's a perfect dish full of ground beef, cheese and delicious sauce.
These days I make my lasagna a little different because of my diabetes I had to learn how to make lasagna without the noodles. Luckily there are many variations of low carb lasagnas out there, one of my favs is Marie Emmerichs lasagna. This inspired me to recreate my moms lasagna and how we made it without the noodles.
Now I enjoy this low carb lasagna not only on special occasions but wheneer i'm in the mood for it. It's such an easy dish to make. The only time consuming part is browning the beef, the rest is simply layering it all in a pan and waiting an hour for it to back in the oven. Oh yes, nice and bubbly lasagna that won't mess up my blood sugars. There is nothing better and it's just like my moms but please don't tell her I said that.
This recipe is very easy to make with just a few ingredients, you don't need anything fancy for this.
Low Carb Lasagna - Meatsagna
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 2 650 ml jars tomatoe sauce Use your favourite low carb sauce
- 24 Slices provolone
- 18 Slices deli turkey
- 1 cup Parmesan grated
- 3 cups Mozzarella shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red chilli pepper flakes optional
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion
- In a large pot over low heat, sautÃ© the roughly chopped onion and garlic in the olive oil
- Add salt and pepper to taste, I also added some red chilli pepper flakes which is optional
- Once the onion and garlic are transluscent add the 2 lbs of ground beef and brown on medium heat
- Add the 2 jars of sauce and mix well
- Bring the heat down to low and place a lid on the pot to let simmer for about 15 minutes
- Remove from the burner, remove the lid and let cool for another 15 minutes
- Now is a good time to preheat the oven at 425
- Preheat oven at 425
- Using a 9â€³ x 13â€³ baking pan you can now assemble the lasagna
- Start with coating the bottom of the pan with some of the tomatoe sauce
- Layer the turkey slices, I used 6 slices per layer but you may need to use more, depending on how big your slices are
- Next layer the provolone, I used 8 slices per layer
- Layer on the meat sauce
- Gingerly layer on some mozzarella
- Sprinkle over with parmesan
- Layer another 2 more times, for a total of 3 layers. If you are using a shallow pan you may only fir 2 layers or if your pan is deeper you could possibly have 4 layers.
- Cover with tinfoil and place in oven for 30 minutes, I placed my pan on a cookie sheet in case there was any spill over.
- Remove from oven, remove the tinfoil and place back in over for another 30 minutes or until it looks nice and bubbly and crispy to your liking
- Remove from oven, let sit for about 10-15 minutes to allow the lasagna to set. This will make it easier to slice without it falling apart.
- I sliced it in squares with a sharp knife and then I removed each square with a metal spatula
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Let the lasagna rest
Just like a good steak after taking it off the grill, you want to let it rest so the juices soak into the meat. Lasagnas will be much better to cut into squares if you let them rest so the sauce can soak up. When you cut into it you will get a more uniform slice without the lasagna falling apart.
Lasagna is perfect for leftovers. I often cut into squares and wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer up to a month. Perfect for a quick meal during the week, heat up in a pan or place in the microwave on high for about 1-2 minutes.
Enjoy with a nice ceasar salad and how about my Keto Tiramisu for dessert?
If you liked this recipe, please like, comment and share it. I find when folks share my recipes on pinterest it helps attract more viewers.