Crispy, flavourful and easy Keto Air Fryer Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs are full of gooey cheese and coated with a crispy crust air fried until golden brown. These delicious meatballs can also be made in the oven.
Anything stuffed with cheese is on the top of my list of appetizers. Especially when I can make it in the air fryer.
🥘 Main ingredients Used
We first make the tender low carb meatballs and then stuff them with mozzarella and then coat with a crispy breading (crispy breading is optional) before air frying.
- Ground Beef: used one pound of lean ground beef for this recipe although you can use ground beef pork or chicken
- Mozzarella: mini bocconcini balls were used for this recipe. Although you an use any fresh mozzarella you prefer
- Pork Rind Crumbs: ground pork rinds were blended in a food processor to create the crumb mixture. This is optional, you can make these meatballs without the crispy outer crust.
- Parmesan Cheese: used in the meatball and breadcrumb mixture for some added nutty salty flavours.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make Air Fryer Stuffed Mozzarella Meatballs
STEP 1: In a large bowl add the ground beef with all the ingredients for the meatballs. Using your hands combine everything together until ingredients are evenly incorporated. Then roll the meatballs into roughly 1" balls.
STEP 2: Cut each mini bocconcini balls in half if using, otherwise cut your mozzarella into ¼" pieces. Take one of the rolled meatballs and flatten it into the palm of your hand.
Place one of the mozzarella pieces into the centre of the flattened meatballs and then fold the outer edges over the mozzarella and then roll into a ball once again. Place on a dish large enough to hold all the meatballs, chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
STEP 3: Preheat air fryer to 400°F
Combine the pork rind crumbs with the remaining parmesan in a medium bowl. Remove chilled meatballs from the fridge and roll each meatball through the crumb mixture. The pork rind breading is optional, you can make these mozzarella stuffed meatballs without if you prefer.
Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray. Please each meatball into the air fryer basket, you may have to do this in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
Lightly spray the tops of the meatballs in the air fryer.
Air fry at 400F for 12 minutes.
- STEP 4: remove the crispy mozzarella stuffed keto meatballs from the air fryer basket, top with marinara sauce and basil. Served with a toothpick pierced through the centre as an h'orderve or appetizer.
Bake the keto mozzarella stuffed meatballs in a parchment lined baking sheet at 400°F for 16-18 minutes turning half way through and until no longer pink inside.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: use a lean ground beef for this recipe as fattier ground beef may release more juices which in turn will help release more of the melted mozzarella during the cooking process.
Tip: when compacting the meatballs try not to pack too tight, oil your hands and gently and quickly form the meatballs.
- Serving: serve with a marinara sauce either topped onto each meatball or on the side for dipping. Shave some parmesan on top of the meatballs with a sliver of basil for some added freshness.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. If freezing, freeze in an air tight container or freezer bad for up to one month. Thaw to room temperature and then place frozen meatballs in the air fryer and fry at 350°F for 5 minutes. If want to reheat from frozen place in the oven at 300°F for 10-12 minutes.
🥣 Equipment used to make
I do get a lot of use out of my air fryer. If you are looking to purchase one, here are just a few.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates sites. I can make a small commission on qualifying purchases.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Either is fine but I find the crispy outer crust turns out crispier in the air fryer.
You may have made your meatballs too firm. Before making the meatballs, oil your hands and gently and quickly form the meatballs.
You do not have to use egg. However, the meatballs might be too crumbly and fall apart.
Each meatball contains roughly 1g of total carbs per meatball.
Due to each meatball being 1g of total carbs these air fryer mozzarella stuffed meatballs are sure to fit into a keto and low carb diet. Since there is no added sugar or breading these meatballs are also gluten free and diabetic friendly.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs
- 11 mini bocconcini balls sliced in half
Meatball Breading (optional)
- ¾ cup pork rind crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- In a large bowl combine the ground meat with the meatball ingredients and roll into 1 inch balls.
- Slice the mini bocconcini in half and then flatten out a meatball in to the palm of your hand and place a piece of cheese in the centre. Fold the edges of the meatball around the cheese and make sure there are no open seals.
- Place meatballs in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F
- If breading combine the pork rind crumbs and parmesan in a medium bowl. remove meatballs from fridge and roll through the breadcrumb mixture until meatball is coated. Place each meatball in a lightly greased air fryer basket.
- Air Fry for 12 minutes at 400°F. You may need to fry in batches, depending on your air fryer.
- Remove from air fryer basket and serve with marinara sauce, shaved parmesan and fresh basil.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines