This quick and simple Keto Marinated Mozzarella Balls Recipe is made with just a few ingredients and marinated in olive oil for a flavourful and tasty holiday appetizer.
Share this low carb appetizer with family and friends at your holiday gathering or make for a special New Year's Eve party.
I've always loved fresh mozzarella since I was a child. These marinated mozzarella balls are made with fresh bocconcini balls but can be made with any fresh mozzarella you prefer.
I was inspired to make these olive oil marinated mozzarella balls while preparing my other holiday appetizer recipes like my Sweet and Spicy Low Carb Spiced Nuts.
🥘 Ingredients Used
Made with fresh bocconcini balls, garlic and a few spices marinated in olive oil. This fresh marinated olive oil mozzarella has been my go to appetizer this year.
- Bocconcini Balls: fresh mozzarella balls can typically be found in the deli section of your grocery store.
- Olive Oil: good quality fruity extra virgin olive oil works best for this recipe but you can use what you have in your pantry
- Garlic: marinating in olive helps reduce the strong pungent flavour and leaving you with that sweet and nutty flavour that you can only get from garlic.
- Balsamic Vinegar: for those subtle notes of fig, chocolate, cherry or prune.
- Red Pepper Flakes: giving this recipe a little bit of heat but not too much.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make Keto Marinated Mozzarella Balls?
This recipe can't be any simpler, it's a 2 steps process and literally takes minutes to prepare this low carb easy appetizer.
STEP 1: Thinly slice the fresh garlic and set aside
STEP 2: In a small bowl mix together the olives oil, balsamic vinegar, chili pepper flakes, oregano and salt.
Add the sliced olives and then pour over the bocconcini balls. I used 9 balls that came in the container I purchased. You can always double the recipe if you would like more.
STEP 3: Cover with plastic wrap and marinade in the fridge for 1 hour if not serving right away. Otherwise let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: double the portion and flavours by slicing the bocconcini balls in half. This way more surface areas get a kiss from the marinade. The longer you marinade the better it tastes.
Tip: If not serving right away marinade in the fridge but allow to come to room temperature before serving. If you plan on serving soon after making this recipe, marinade at room temperature. No need for the fridge.
- Serving: serve with a charcuterie board, olives and spiced nuts.
- Storage: store covered in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
♨️ Recipe variations
Making these delicious keto marinated mozzarella balls is super simple and easy. Changing it up can also be fun, here are a few variations.
- Citrus - add some lemon or orange zest to the marinade for some added citrusy flavours
- Spicy - make them a lot more spicy by adding a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to marinade.
- Herbs - basil and mozzarella are one of the most iconic cheese and herb pairings. Add a tablespoon fresh basil with the marinade. Adding some finely chopped parsley can also brighten up the fresh mozzarella.
- Salad - turn this into a salad and add some cherry tomatoes
💭 Frequently asked questions
It can last covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You sure can, just make sure to remove them from the water and press them with paper towel to remove any moisture.
Bocconcini are smaller in size and stored in water. Mozzarella can be sold in many different shapes and sizes, sometimes in water or as a brick. Although I do not recommend using a brick of mozzarella for this recipe.
Fresh mozzarella is hand molded and sold in the shape of a ball stored in a whey or brine.
Keto Marinated Mozzarella Balls Recipe
- Slice garlic into thin slices or mince.
- Combine all ingredients except mozzarella in a small bowl
- Pour the marinade over the mozzarella balls in a medium bowl, cover and marinade for 1 hour. Marinade at room temperature if serving immediately, otherwise marinade in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines