Looking for a quick and delicious dinner idea? Our Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs recipe has got you covered! With minimal prep and cook time, you'll have perfectly cooked meatballs packed with flavor in no time.
Plus, this recipe is versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes. Give it a try and enjoy a hassle-free meal tonight!
Using the Instant Pot for frozen meatballs is a good idea because it allows you to quickly and easily cook them from frozen, without the need for defrosting. The high-pressure cooking method of the Instant Pot also helps to infuse the meatballs with flavor and results in tender, juicy meatballs in a shorter amount of time compared to traditional cooking methods.
Why you'll love these Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs?
Here are 5 reasons why you'll love making frozen meatballs with sauce in the Instant Pot:
- Quick and easy meal: Making frozen meatballs with sauce in the Instant Pot is a quick and easy meal solution that can be prepared in minutes.
- Convenient: You can cook frozen meatballs and sauce together in the Instant Pot, making it a convenient one-pot meal.
- Infused flavor: Cooking meatballs in sauce in the Instant Pot allows them to absorb more flavor, resulting in deliciously infused meatballs.
- Tender meatballs: The high-pressure cooking method of the Instant Pot helps to break down the fibers in the meat, resulting in tender and juicy meatballs.
- Versatile: Meatballs in sauce can be used in a variety of dishes, such as spaghetti and meatballs, meatball subs, or even served on their own as an appetizer. The Instant Pot's versatility makes it easy to create a range of different dishes using the same ingredients.
This recipe is incredibly easy, as it requires only two ingredients.
- Frozen Meatballs: You can use either store-bought frozen meatballs or homemade frozen meatballs for this recipe. See below for some homemade meatball recipes.
- Tomato Sauce: You can use a low-carb tomato sauce like Rao's or any tomato sauce of your choice in this recipe. Using a low-carb tomato sauce can be a great option for those looking to reduce their carbohydrate intake, while still enjoying a flavorful and satisfying meal.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make frozen meatballs in the instant pot?
STEP 1: Place the tomato sauce into the instant pot and then gently add the frozen meatballs, making sure they are fully submerged in the sauce. Careful not to splatter here.
STEP 2: Give the mixture a gentle stir to make ensure the meatballs are evenly coated in the sauce.
STEP 3: Secure the lid onto the Instant Pot and ensure the pressure release valve is set to the "Sealing" position. Cook on high pressure for 5-8 minutes, depending on the size of the meatballs.
- STEP 4: Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the lid and serve the meatballs and sauce hot, either on their own or with your choice of sides.
Recipes using ground beef you might enjoy
- Fried Meatballs Recipe
- Air Fryer Frozen Meatballs
- Cheese Stuffed Meatballs
- Hoisin Beef Bowl Recipe
- Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
A note about store-bought frozen meatballs
If you are following a low-carb or keto diet, it is important to be cautious when buying store-bought frozen meatballs. Many brands use breadcrumbs as a binding agent, which can significantly increase the carb content of the meatballs.
Breadcrumbs are often made from wheat flour, which is a high-carb ingredient. Even if the meatballs are labeled as "homestyle" or "traditional," they may still contain breadcrumbs. It's always a good idea to check the ingredient list and nutrition information on the packaging to ensure that the meatballs fit into your dietary goals.
Here are 2 tips for making the best-frozen meatballs in the Instant Pot:
- Add extra seasonings: Depending on the meatballs you use, sometimes store-bought frozen meatballs can lack flavor, so consider adding extra seasonings to the sauce for added flavor. You can add garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, or any other herbs and spices that you prefer.
- Use natural release: When cooking frozen meatballs in the Instant Pot with sauce, it's best to use the natural release method. This means allowing the pressure to release on its own once the cooking time is up, rather than manually releasing the pressure. This helps to ensure that the meatballs remain juicy and tender, rather than becoming tough and overcooked.
What to serve with meatballs?
There are many low-carb options to serve with meatballs. Here are a few ideas:
- Zucchini noodles (zoodles): These can be made with a spiralizer or purchased pre-spiralized. They make a great low-carb alternative to traditional pasta.
- See this Zucchini Pasta recipe.
- Spaghetti squash: This vegetable can be roasted and then the flesh can be scraped out with a fork, creating a pasta-like texture.
- Check out this Spaghetti Squash Fritters recipe.
- Shirataki noodles: These are made from konjac yam and have a very low-carb content. They can be found in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores.
- See this Low Carb Carbonara recipe made with konjac noodles.
- Low-carb pasta: There are many varieties of low-carb pasta available on the market, such as those made with almond flour, coconut flour, or even chickpea flour.
- My favorite is this lupin flour pasta from Kaizen Pasta.
- Cauliflower rice: This is a great alternative to traditional rice and can be seasoned and flavored to complement the meatballs.
By incorporating one of these low-carb options, you can create a delicious and satisfying meal that is both healthy and flavorful. See this post about Low Carb Friendly Pasta Noodles.
Here are a few variations you can try for the frozen meatballs and sauce in the Instant Pot recipe:
- Use different types of meatballs: Instead of traditional beef meatballs, try using turkey, chicken, or vegetarian meatballs.
- Add vegetables: Add some extra nutrition and flavor by adding vegetables to the sauce. Diced onion, sliced mushrooms, and chopped bell peppers are all great options.
- Change up the sauce: Try using a different type of tomato sauce, like this Spicy Arabbiata sauce or a creamy tomato sauce.
- Add cheese: Sprinkle some shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheese on top of the meatballs before serving.
By experimenting with different variations, you can create a new and exciting twist on this classic dish.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can double the recipe, but you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly to ensure that the meatballs cook evenly.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It's not recommended to add pasta directly to the Instant Pot with the meatballs and sauce as it may become overcooked or too soft. Instead, cook the pasta separately and then serve it with the meatballs and sauce.
Instant Pot Frozen Meatballs
- 20 Frozen Meatballs
- 1 jar raos tomato sauce roughly 2 cups of sauce
- Add the meatballs and sauce to the instant pot. Stir to ensure meatballs are coated with sauce.20 Frozen Meatballs, 1 jar raos tomato sauce
- Secure the lid onto the Instant Pot and ensure the pressure release valve is set to the "Sealing" position. Cook on high pressure for 5-8 minutes depending on the size of your meatballs.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
- Remove the meatballs and sauce from the instant pot and serve immediately.
- Add extra seasonings: Depending on the meatballs you use, sometimes store-bought frozen meatballs can lack flavor, so consider adding extra seasonings to the sauce for added flavor.
- Use natural release: When cooking frozen meatballs in the Instant Pot with sauce, it's best to use the natural release method.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This website contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, we may receive a commission in return. I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines