This Low Carb Hoisin Beef Bowl is perfect for those weeknight meals where you want to make something quick and easy but full of all the flavour. This asian inspired dish has a mix of sweet and savoury and all the umami flavours you have been craving for.
I have used my Low Carb Hoisin Sauce for this recipe as it keeps it low carb, keto and diabetes friendly. Since the usual hoisin sauce is made with sugar we are keeping the carbs lower by making it with sweetner and an all natural peanut butter.
Table of Contents:
🥘 Ingredient Notes
- Hoisin Sauce: slightly sweet flavour and strong saltiness that gives it that umami flavour.
- Tamari Sauce: this Japanese soy sauce is made from fermenting and is gluten free.
- Sesame Oil: for that rich, nutty and toasty taste
- Garlic: for the mild and nutty flavour when cooked, there is nothing else like it.
- Fresh Ginger: slightly peppery and sweet, with a pungent and spicy aroma
- Erythritol: for a hint of sweetness found in many asian dishes without the carbs from regular sugar, honey or maple syrup.
- Tomato Paste: concentrated and almost meaty taste adds nuance and body to the dish.
🎥 Watch the instructional video
🔪 Steps to make this recipe
- STEP 1: add baking soda to ground beef, mix with hands and set aside for 30 minutes
- STEP 2: in a medium bowl mix together the hoisin, tamari, tomato paste, sesame oil, erythritol and red pepper flakes (optional).
- STEP 3: In a medium sized frying pan on low heat add the coconut oil until melted
- STEP 4: turn up heat to medium/high and add the ground beef until slightly browned
- STEP 5: add the garlic, ginger and onion and mix in with the ground beef about 2 minutes
STEP 6: mix in the hoisin sauce mixture and cook until warmed through. Serve on a bed of cauliflower rice or mixed veggies.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
It helps with the caramelization of the beef and also helps it brown faster
Yes, you can use the same amount of steak sliced into thin strips for this recipe.
You can purchase hoisin sauce but unfortunately it is likely full of sugar and would not be low carb, keto or diabetic friendly.
There is no great substitute for hoisin sauce as it is difficult to replace the sweet and salty umami flavour. However, if you only want to use what you have in your pantry you can always sub in teriyaki sauce, soy and peanut butter or an oyster sauce. This will change the taste of the dish from this recipe.
Yes, many vegetables will work well in this dish like broccoli, eggplant or zucchini among many others.
It is low carb as it only has 2g of total carbs per serving which makes it a great option for people who are following a low carb, ketogenic or diabetic friendly diet.
🍽 More main dish recipes you may like
Please comment, rate or review my recipe below!
Low Carb Hoisin Beef Bowl Recipe Card
- 1 lb ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup low carb hoisin sauce recipe
- 1.5 tablespoon tamari sauce
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon erythritol
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil or your preferred fat for frying
- 2 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 spring onions
- Combine the ground beef and baking soda in a large bowl and set aside for 30 minutes
- In a medium size bowl mix together the hoisin sauce, tamari, tomato paste, sesame oil, erythritol and red pepper flakes (optional).
- In a medium size frying pan on low heat, heat up the coconut oil
- Once oil is hot, turn up the heat to medium/high and add the ground beef and cook until almost completely browned
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the hoisin sauce mixture and cook until warmed through
- Serve on a bed of cauliflower rice or vegetables
- All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.