This Asian inspired Low Carb Hoisin Sauce is made with a few simple ingredients like natural peanut butter, tamari and sesame oil. Low carb, keto and diabetes friendly with less than 1g of carbs per tablespoon. Perfect sauce for those dishes that call for hoisin sauce.
I've used this sauce for my Low Carb Hoisin Beef Bowl recipe and it is absolutely delicious. You can use this sauce with a quick stir-fry, on top of some cauliflower rice or baste it on some roasted chicken for a sweet asian inspired dish.
Table of Contents:
🥘 Ingredient Notes
- Tamari Sauce: this Japanese soy sauce is made from fermenting and is gluten free. It's less salty, darker and has a strong umami flavour.
- Smooth Natural Peanut Butter: natural peanut butter without all the hydrogenated oils and sugars that come with the usual peanut butter your mom used to buy
- Sesame Oil: for that rich, nutty and toasty taste
- Garlic: for the mild and nutty flavour when cooked, there is nothing else like it.
- Erythritol: for a hint of sweetness found in many asian dishes without the carbs from regular sugar, honey or maple syrup.
🔪 Steps to make this recipe
- STEP 1: Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl and whisk until combined
- STEP 2: Store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 1 month.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Most often low carb recipes will call for a brown sugar replacement in this recipe. I like to keep things simple and use regular erythritol but you can exchange with whatever sweetener you have on hand and make it more or less sweeter as to your preferences.
Yes, they are very much interchangeable if you are not seeking a gluten free alternative. Tamari does have a slightly stronger umami flavour but the difference in taste for this recipe will not be noticeable if you swap for soy sauce.
This recipe makes a ¼ cup (8 tablespoons) of hoisin sauce which is less than 1 gram of carbs per serving. A serving is one tablespoon.
Yes, this hoisin sauce recipe would be an excellent substitute for worcestershire sauce in recipes. If you need to think it out a bit you could add some apple cider vinegar.
It has a slightly sweet flavour and strong saltiness that gives it that umami flavour.
🍽 More recipes you may like
Low Carb Hoisin Sauce Recipe Card
- Whisk ingredients together until well combined, use with your favourite asian inspired dishes.
- Store in an airtight jar for up to 1 month in the fridge.
- All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.