Low Carb Zucchini Pasta is one of my favourite pastas. It's easy to make and doesn't have any weird fibers or flavours that I'm not used to.
Also, this is the kind of pasta that screams freshness and makes me feel like I am eating pasta even though it's simply a plate of vegetables.
Therefore, the healthiest and cleanest choice when making a low carb or keto pasta. Plus, it doesn't have any weird fibers in it and won't spike your blood sugars. Something you may be concerned about if you have diabetes like me.
As an italian it is difficult to get close to the real thing. I mean, pasta is just so unique in itself and I truly haven't come across anything that would trick me into thinking it was real pasta.
There are many keto and low carb alternatives but I haven't come across anything that comes close to real pasta. Zucchini pasta is at the top of my list when I want pasta. Simply because it's easy to make, does not require a lot of boiling and I know what's in it... zucchini!
How do you make Zucchini Pasta?
To make low carb zucchini pasta you need a spiralizer. Spiralizers come in many different types.
They have manual ones with a crank and there are electrical ones as well that will do the trick. If you are in the market to purchasing one, I have linked some here for you.
How do you cook Zucchini Pasta?
You will find everyone has a different way to cook zucchini noodles from boiling them, pan frying and releasing the moisture by salting them.
So many different ways to cook it but my favourite is to spiralize the zucchini and drop into the pan. Add the sauce and heat it up and serve. Easy peasy, let's now waste time on this and that please.
How do you make the lemon sauce?
I simply squeezed juice from one lemon with a sprinkle of xanthan gum and vigorously whisked it together until an emulsion formed. I then added it to the pasta and mixed it well so that it incorporates evenly.
If you are looking for another pasta alternative to zucchini have a look at my Carbonara Pasta recipe.
Low Carb Zucchini Pasta with Lemon and Asparagus
- Trim and slice asparagus on the diagonal into 2" slices, then saute asparagus in a large pan in 1 tablespoon of olive oil with salt for about 1 minute (medium heat)
- Add 4 smashed garlic cloves, red pepper chili flakes and lemon strips and saute
- While that's sauteing spiralize the zucchini
- In a separate bowl mix the lemon juice with xanthan gum whisk well,if too thick add more lemon juice.
- Remove pan from the heat and add the zucchini and basil leaves
- Return to medium heat and add the lemon and xanthan gum mixture and mix well until combined. Move quickly here to get it all incorporated evenly.
- Top with grated parmesan
- Remove from heat and remove garlic cloves and lemon strips.
- Top with more grated parmesan in your favorite pasta dish.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.