Making these crispy and golden Low Carb Zucchini Fritters in the Air Fryer is the only way to remove all the moisture and get them really crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Delicious and super easy to make topped with sour cream and green onions.
Zucchini fritters are a great appetizer but honestly I can make these a meal and be satisfied. Since they are made with zucchini and eggs they also make a great low carb breakfast option. Perfect for a keto or diabetic friendly diet.
As a child my mom would always make zucchini flower fritters which I loved. I have taken her recipe and flipped it a bit by making it keto and simply using zucchinis. I thought of doing this after I made my Low Carb Zucchini Pasta with Lemon and Asparagus recipe.
- 🥘 Ingredients to make the Zucchini Fritters
- 👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
- 🍴 More diabetic friendly appetizer recipes
- 📋 Substitutions and Variations
- 🥣 Equipment
- ♨️ HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
- 👨🏻🍳 Top tip
- ⏲️ Serving suggestions
- 💭 Frequently asked questions
- 🍽 Other recipes you might enjoy
- Low Carb Zucchini Fritters in the Air Fryer
- 🌡️ Food safety
🥘 Ingredients to make the Zucchini Fritters
Low carb zucchini fritters are made with fresh zucchini of course, eggs, almond flour, and some spices. Trust me, it's that easy. You will want to make these tasty zucchini friters again and again.
- Zucchini: they have a slightly sweet and slightly bitter flavour with a rich feel when cooked.
- Almond Flour: ground blanched almonds were used for this recipe which gives it a slightly nutty flavour plus it's low carb and gluten free.
- Egg: to add structure to the fritters and help keep them together
- Baking Powder: will make them even crispier
- Spice Blend: the garlic, onion and paprika enhance all the flavours in the zucchini and give it that extra umph.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the Low Carb Zucchini Fritters
Using the air fryer for zucchini fritters helps remove a lot of the moisture in them and I believe is the best way to make them nice and crispy.
STEP 1: Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F. Grate 2 medium zucchinis and strain them using a clean kitchen towel until all of the moisture is released. Place zucchini in a large bowl.
STEP 2: add eggs, almond flour, baking powder and spices and mix until well combined.
STEP 3: Using your hands roll the zucchini fritters into small oval or football shapes. About 2 tablespoons. This recipe should make 12 zucchini fritters. Spray air fryer basket with cooking spray and gently place fritters in the basket.
- STEP 4: Spritz top of fritters with cooking spray and air fry for 10 minutes at 400°F, then flip (might be a little sticky, use a metal spatula to help release the bottom), spray again with cooking spray and cook for another 3 minutes. Do not overcrowd the basket, do it in batches if needed.
STEP 5: Gently remove from air fryer and place on a cooling rack. Once slightly cooled, garnish with sour cream and green onions.
📋 Substitutions and Variations
You can make these low carb fritters in various shapes and forms and add different spice blends. If you don't have an air fryer you can make them flat and pan fry in some olive oil.
- Patties - you can shape them into patties instead although it might be more difficult to get them out of the Air Fryer as they do stick a little. Patties would be perfect fried on the stove top with some olive oil.
- Spices - use your imagination and create different flavour profiles like cumin, curry powder and cardamom or how about going italian and adding oregano, basil and rosemary?
- Vegetarian - these patties are vegetarian but if you want to make them vegan you can replace the eggs with aquafaba
If you want even more crispy veggies made in the air fryer, you will love my Air Fryer Crispy Green Beans recipe.
As you probably guessed I am a huge fan of using my air fryer. I bought mine at Costco but I've also made a list on Amazon for some Air Fryers I have my eye on for my next purchase.
♨️ HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS
Store leftover zucchini fritters in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the air fryer or oven at 350 with nonstick spray. Do not warm up in the microwave, they will come out mushy.
👨🏻🍳 Top tip
If your nonstick air fryer is no longer nonstick, be generous with the nonstick cooking spray in the air fryer basket as they might stick a little. Use a metal spatula to scrape from the bottom if needed to release the fritters.
⏲️ Serving suggestions
- Serving: I enjoy them topped with or dipped in sour cream but I've also enjoyed them with a ranch dressing with a little franks red hot sauce.
- Hash Browns: Use them to replace your breakfast hash browns or tater tots
- Latkes: replace latkes with these low carb fritters and enjoy them with smoked salmon or caviar.
💭 Frequently asked questions
If you did not squeeze enough of the moisture out the fritters may turn out soggy. Also if you added too much salt it may bring out too much moisture before cooking. Air frying them a little longer should remove more moisture.
Making sure the zucchini is kept in the fridge until you need them will help. The cold temperature will help them not absorb too much of the cooking spray and keep them crispy.
Yes, place fritters on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and bake at 400°F for about 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
These fritters are only 1g of total carbs each and can likely fit into a ketogenic diet.
If you enjoyed this recipe I would love if you would share on social or pin on pinterest.
Low Carb Zucchini Fritters in the Air Fryer
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F and grate and strain the water from the zucchini using a clean dish towel or cheesecloth, place in a large bowl
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well incorporated
- Using your hands shape the fritters into small oval shapes like mini footballs
- Place in a well greased air fryer basket, lightly spray tops of fritters with cooking spray and cook at 400°F for 10 minutes, flip and spray with cooking spray again and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Gently remove from air fryer basket and cool on a wire cooling rack. Garnish with sour cream and sliced green onions.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines