Delicious and healthy Low Carb Zucchini Pizza Boats filled with a flavorful medley of cherry tomatoes, spices, and melted cheese. This easy-to-make recipe in the oven or air fryer is perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
Get creative with your toppings and enjoy a mouthwatering dish that will satisfy your taste buds and impress your guests. See the vegetarian and vegan options as well. Try it today!
Managing your type 2 diabetes doesn't mean giving up on tasty and satisfying meals. Our low carb zucchini pizza boats provide a delicious solution that will satisfy your pizza cravings without compromising your health goals. If you love zucchini you might also enjoy these Low Carb Zucchini Fritters.
Why you'll love this recipelow carb zucchini pizza boat recipe
If you're managing your type 2 diabetes with a low carb or keto diet, our zucchini pizza boats are the perfect recipe to add to your repertoire. Packed with flavor and designed to be diabetes-friendly, these pizza boats offer a guilt-free alternative to traditional high-carb pizzas.
- Low Carb Delight: zucchini pizza boats are a low carb delight! By replacing the traditional pizza crust with zucchini, we've significantly reduced the carb content while still providing a satisfying pizza experience. Each bite is packed with delicious flavors without the worry of spiking blood sugar levels.
- Diabetes-Friendly Ingredients: We understand the importance of managing your blood sugar levels while still enjoying delicious food. That's why we've carefully selected diabetes-friendly ingredients for this recipe. From the zucchini base to the tomato sauce, every component is chosen to be low in carbs and suitable for a diabetic diet.
- Wholesome and Nutritious: In addition to being low carb and diabetes-friendly, our zucchini pizza boats are also packed with wholesome and nutritious ingredients. Zucchini is rich in vitamins and minerals, while the tomato sauce provides antioxidants and lycopene. The addition of cherry tomatoes adds a burst of freshness and vitamin C, while the (optional) genoa salami offers a satisfying source of protein.
- Easy to Prepare: Preparing our zucchini pizza boats is a breeze! With simple steps and readily available ingredients, you can have a delicious low carb meal on your table in no time. Whether you're cooking for yourself or hosting a gathering, this recipe is sure to impress without causing stress in the kitchen.
- Versatile and Customizable: Our zucchini pizza boats are incredibly versatile, allowing you to customize them to your preferences. You can experiment with different toppings and seasonings to suit your taste buds. Add some sliced bell peppers, onions, or even a sprinkle of your favorite herbs for a personalized twist. The possibilities are endless, ensuring you never get bored with this fantastic low carb recipe.
Main ingredients to make?
Indulge in a flavorful medley of fresh and savory components that come together to create a guilt-free and diabetes-friendly pizza experience.
- Zucchinis: Fresh and versatile vegetable that forms the base of our pizza boats, providing a satisfying texture and mild flavor.
- Tomato sauce: using a low carb tomato sauce with a rich and savory component that serves as the base for our pizza boats, providing a burst of tomato goodness.
- Shredded mozzarella: Melts beautifully on top of the pizza boats, creating a gooey and cheesy layer.
- Cherry tomatoes: Bursting with freshness, these little gems add vibrant color and a burst of tangy sweetness.
- Genoa salami: Optional ingredients that provides a savory and slightly salty punch, elevating the overall taste with its distinct flavor. You can use pepperoni or any of your favorite deli meats or make it vegetarian without any meat.
- Red pepper flakes: Adds a touch of heat and a hint of smokiness to elevate the flavor profile.
- Oregano: A fragrant herb that infuses the dish with a delightful Mediterranean taste.
- Minced garlic cloves: A pungent ingredient that adds depth and aroma to the overall flavor.
- Salt: Enhances the overall taste of the dish and balances the flavors.
- Black pepper: Adds a subtle hint of spiciness, complementing the other ingredients.
- Olive oil: A healthy fat that coats the zucchini and enhances its natural flavors.
You can also use pepperoni or mini pepperoni instead of salami.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the low carb zucchini pizza boats in the oven?
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
Wash the zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and create a hollow space, forming a boat-like shape. Place the zucchini boats on the prepared baking sheet.
Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly over the zucchini boats, ensuring they are seasoned to taste. Drizzle olive oil over the boats, making sure to coat them evenly.
Bake them at 425°F for 30 minutes or until they are soft and tender. Remove from the oven when done.
STEP 2: In a small bowl, combine the roasted tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, oregano, and minced garlic clove. Stir well to combine the flavors. Spoon the sauce mixture evenly into each zucchini boat.
Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella on top of the sauce-filled zucchini boats. Make sure to distribute it evenly to achieve a cheesy and delicious result.
Slice the cherry tomatoes in half and place them on top of the cheese. This will add a burst of freshness and color to your pizza boats.
Finally, evenly distribute the genoa salami slices on top of the cherry tomatoes. The salty and savory flavor of the salami will complement the other ingredients perfectly.
Place the baking sheet with the zucchini pizza boats into the oven and bake on broil for approximately 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
STEP 3: Once cooked, remove the zucchini pizza boats from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before serving. This will prevent any accidental burns and ensure the flavors are well-settled.
Serve the zucchini pizza boats as a delicious low carb meal or appetizer option. They're perfect for sharing with family and friends!
Air Fryer Zucchini Pizza Boats
To make this recipe in the air fryer, follow these steps:
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for a few minutes.
- Prepare the zucchini boats as instructed in the recipe, hollowing them out and seasoning with salt and black pepper.
- Lightly brush the zucchini boats with olive oil to help them cook and crisp up in the air fryer.
- Place the zucchini boats in a single layer in the air fryer basket, making sure they have some space between them for proper air circulation.
- Cook the zucchini boats in the air fryer for about 8-10 minutes, or until they are tender and slightly golden.
- Remove the zucchini boats from the air fryer and spoon the tomato sauce into each boat, followed by the desired toppings such as red pepper flakes, oregano, minced garlic, shredded mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, and genoa salami.
- Return the topped zucchini boats to the air fryer and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly.
- Carefully remove the zucchini pizza boats from the air fryer and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Note: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of the zucchini, as well as the air fryer model. It's always a good idea to keep an eye on the cooking process to avoid overcooking.
Enjoy your delicious air fryer zucchini pizza boats!
Tips on making the best low carb pizza zucchini boats ever:
- Properly hollow out the zucchinis: To ensure the best zucchini pizza boats, make sure to properly hollow out the zucchinis. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and create a hollow space, allowing enough room for the toppings to sit without overflowing. This will help the zucchinis cook evenly and prevent them from becoming too watery.
- Control the moisture content: Zucchinis naturally contain water, which can make the pizza boats soggy. To control the moisture content, sprinkle salt over the hollowed-out zucchinis and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture. This step helps to achieve a firmer and more enjoyable texture in the final dish. Additionally, avoid adding too much watery toppings or excess sauce to prevent the pizza boats from becoming overly moist.
In the fridge
To store leftover zucchini pizza boats, allow them to cool completely before transferring them to an airtight container. Place the container in the refrigerator and consume within 2-3 days for the best quality.
While zucchini pizza boats can be refrigerated, they may become slightly softer upon reheating. If you prefer a firmer texture, it is recommended to consume them fresh.
For reheating refrigerated leftovers, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the zucchini pizza boats on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until warmed to your desired temperature.
In the freezer
If you want to freeze the leftovers, it's best to freeze them before baking. Prepare the zucchini pizza boats up until the baking step, then tightly wrap them in plastic wrap or place them in a freezer-safe container. They can be stored in the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
To reheat the frozen zucchini pizza boats, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Remove the pizza boats from the freezer and allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Always remember to check the internal temperature of the pizza boats before consuming to ensure they are properly heated. Enjoy the reheated zucchini pizza boats while they are still warm and flavorful.
Here are five delicious recipe variations for zucchini pizza boats, including a vegetarian option and a vegan dairy-free option:
- Margherita Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Follow the base recipe but omit the salami.
- Instead, top the zucchini boats with extra cherry tomatoes and chopped fresh basil leaves.
- Drizzle with a little extra olive oil before baking for a classic Margherita flavor.
- Mediterranean Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Follow the base recipe but omit the salami.
- After adding the tomato sauce, sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese and sliced Kalamata olives.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice before serving.
- Taco Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Follow the base recipe, but substitute the tomato sauce with a spicy taco sauce.
- After adding the sauce, top with cooked ground beef or turkey seasoned with taco seasoning.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, and sliced jalapeños.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
- Vegetarian Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Follow the base recipe but omit the salami.
- Add a variety of your favorite sautéed vegetables, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and spinach, on top of the roasted tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with your choice of cheese, such as mozzarella or a blend of Italian cheeses, and bake as directed.
- Vegan Dairy-Free Zucchini Pizza Boats:
- Follow the base recipe but omit the mozzarella cheese and salami.
- Replace the cheese with a vegan cheese alternative or use nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
- Load the zucchini boats with tomato sauce, sautéed vegetables, such as bell peppers and onions, and top with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Bake as directed and garnish with fresh basil or chopped parsley before serving.
These recipe variations provide a range of flavors and options to suit different dietary preferences, ensuring everyone can enjoy delicious zucchini pizza boats tailored to their needs.See this spicy version of this recipe.
See this Low Carb Zucchini Pasta recipe for another vegan dish. Just leave out the parmesan.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! While the recipe calls for shredded mozzarella, feel free to experiment with other cheeses. Cheddar, provolone, or a blend of Italian cheeses can all be great alternatives that add different flavors to the dish.
Definitely! The toppings mentioned in the recipe are just a starting point. Feel free to get creative and add your favorite pizza toppings such as mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, or even pineapple. Just be mindful of the cooking time and ensure the toppings are cooked through and the zucchini boats remain firm.
es, you can use larger zucchinis for the pizza boats, but keep in mind that the cooking time may need to be adjusted. Larger zucchinis may require a longer baking time to ensure they are tender. You can also cut the larger zucchinis into smaller portions to make individual-sized boats.
Low Carb Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Wash and cut the zucchinis lengthwise and core out the seeds to create a boat. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or roasting pan.2 medium zucchini
- Drizzle the zucchini with olive and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes or until zucchini are soft and tender. Remove from oven when done.½ cup raos tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 garlic cloves
- In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce with the red pepper flakes, oregano and minced garlic clove. Spoon the sauce mixture evenly into each zucchini boat.
- Then top the boats with the mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and salami (if using)½ cup shredded mozzarella, 8 cherry tomatoes, 2 oz genoa salami
- Broil zucchini pizza boats in the oven for approximately 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender and the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
Customize this recipe according to your preferences by adding or subtracting ingredients to suit your taste.
- Properly hollow out the zucchinis: To ensure the best zucchini pizza boats, make sure to properly hollow out the zucchinis. Use a spoon to remove the seeds and create a hollow space, allowing enough room for the toppings to sit without overflowing.
- Control the moisture content: Zucchinis naturally contain water, which can make the pizza boats soggy. To control the moisture content, sprinkle salt over the hollowed-out zucchinis and let them sit for a few minutes. Then, pat them dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, tips and variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines