Crispy Garlic Parmesan Keto French Fries made in the air fryer have a crunchy exterior with a light and fluffy interior just like traditional french fries. Only 1g net carbs per serving and I also share how to make them in the oven or stovetop.
Flavoured with garlic and parmesan these healthy fries are also gluten free and a great diabetic friendly option. It only requires 3 ingredients to make the traditional fries but I like to kick it up a notch and take it over the top.
This recipe was inspired by Heavenly Fan's Youtube where she makes a traditional keto french fry recipe. She also has a lot of other amazing keto recipes on her youtube channel, check it out.
Who doesn't love french fries? When I was developing my Low Carb Jalapeno Burger and Low Carb Hamburger Bun recipes I knew the one thing missing was french fries.
Ingredients used to make keto fries
You only need 3 ingredients to make the traditional keto french fries recipe. Almond flour, xanthan gum and salt with some warm water.
I have always loved garlic parmesan fries so we also add some garlic powder and grated parmesan to make these delicious crispy bundles of heaven.
- Almond Flour: we use almond flour to give the texture to these fries and what makes these fries keto.
- Xanthan Gum: since we don't have gluten present we use xanthan gum to provide some elasticity to the dough before we cut it into french fries. Purchase Xanthan Gum on Amazon.
- Salt: we salt the dough for these fries to give it some flavour, otherwise it would give a bland mouth feel.
- Garlic Powder: using powder gives it that nutty but not too pungent flavour to these low carb french fries.
- Parmesan: a perfect combo with garlic flavours makes these low carb fries a hit every time.
Steps by step instructions
How to make keto french fries in the air fryer?
STEP 1: Using a medium sized mixing bowl and a rubber spatula mix together the almond flour, xanthan gum, garlic powder and salt. While mixing, slowly add 1 tablespoon of warm water at a time until it gets to a doughy consistency. I used 5 ½ tablespoons of water to get it to a almost tough doughy sticky texture.
Now use your hands to knead the dough for about 1 minute. Then place the ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out the dough to about a ¼ centimeter in thickness.
At this point you want to preheat your Air Fryer to 400°F.
Now cut the rolled out dough it into strips. (if you want to see the different ways I cut the dough, check out the video)
I used a pizza cutter to cut into strips, if you don't have one you can use a knife.
STEP 2: Once your air fryer is preheated spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and then lay out the strips in batches. Leave room for the air to flow through.
Lightly spray the strips in the basket with cooking spray and Air Fry at 400°F for 5 minutes.
STEP 3: Fries will be golden brown and ready for serving.
- STEP 4: Transfer fries to a plate and sprinkle with salt (if needed), parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese. If you fancy, serve with a side of sugar free ketchup.
How to make keto french fries in the oven?
Follow the directions above to make the fries and then place the uncooked fries onto a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray. Then spray the tops of the fries with cooking spray and back in a preheated 400°F oven for about 12-16 minutes. Fries should be golden and crispy. Sprinkle with salt (if needed), parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
How to make keto french fries on the stovetop?
Follow the instructions above but instead of placing the uncooked fries in the air fryer, simply fry in a frying pan over medium high heat with oil until golden and crispy. Use enough oil to cover the fries, about a ¼ centimeter. Sprinkle with salt (if needed), parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Low Carb Keto Fries hit those french fry cravings and give us all the feels of eating fast food fries. Here are some tips to make sure these fries turn out perfect.
Crispy Fries: ensure your air fryer basket it preheated to 400°F before dropping those strips of fries in. Don't forget to spray the basket and the tops of fries with cooking spray. I used an olive oil cooking spray.
Warm Water: the water should be warm but not too hot or it may result in a gummier dough. It should be warm enough to touch but not too cold either.
- Serving: we enjoy these fries on their own but they are also great with a dip. If sugar free ketchup is not your thing, use a creamy dip like ranch or caesar.
- Storage: doubt you will have leftovers but if you do, place the cooled fries in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven on a baking tray at 300°F for 3-5 minutes.
These garlic parmesan keto french fries are delicious although here are some other ideas on how to enjoy low carb french fries. I have tried making this recipe with coconut flour but it doesn't seem to go well with the garlic and parmesan.
- Asparagus Fries - for a twist on fries check out my oven baked Keto Asparagus Fries recipe.
- Rutabaga Fries - using rutaba to make fries is an excellent way to enjoy them without all the extra carbs. Feel good Foodie has a Rutabaga Fries recipe that I enjoy.
- Jicama Fries - similar to rutabaga fries but closer to a potato jicama can also make a great french fry alternative while keeping it low carb. A Sweet Pea Chef has a Jicama Fries recipe that I often make.
Frequently asked questions
A serving of these fries is about 8-10 fries which are about 1g net carb per serving. Therefore they will likely fit into a low carb or keto diet.
As these fries are low in carbohydrates they may not spike your blood sugars the same way traditional french fries might. Although all foods affect people differently and you should monitor your blood sugars to see how these fries affect you personally.
Using gravy tends to make these fries too soggy and I do not recommend it.
Other low carb keto recipes you might enjoy
Air Fryer Garlic Parmesan Keto Fries Recipe
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 ½ tablespoon warm water
- 3 tablespoon grated parmesan
- Mix together the almond flour, xanthan gum, garlic powder and salt. Slowly add 1 tablespoon of warm water at a time until it gets to a doughy consistency.
- Using your hands knead the dough for about 1 minute. Then place the ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out the dough to about a ¼ centimeter in thickness.
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F.
- Cut the rolled out dough it into strips about ½" wide.
- Spray the preheated air fryer basket with cooking spray and then lay out the strips in batches. Leave room for the air to flow through. Lightly spray the strips in the basket with cooking spray and Air Fry at 400°F for 5 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Transfer fries to a plate and sprinkle with salt (if needed), parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
Deliciously fantastic! Definitely satisfied my french fry crave. Only concern is that 1TBS of Xantham Gum is a lot! I’m thinking of trying it with half the amount, if not less? Any thoughts?
The consistency may not be quite the same but maybe try 1/2 tbsp and see if you like the way it turns out.
Anything with garlic is an automatic win for me, and let me say that this recipe did not disappoint!!
These fries are the bomb! SOOOO crispy and delicious!
What a great and healthy recipe! Garlic and parmesan on fries is always a great combo!
Wow, brilliant! I've been missing fries since I'm on keto. I'm making this tonight. Thanks!
This combination of garlic, parmesan, and potatoes is amazing! Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Who knew keto fries would be this easy. Thanks for another great recipe.
I dont feel guilty enjoying lots of this using the air fryer, its so good.
Oscar I love this low carb Keto friendly garlic fries! its's so addicting!