These Low Carb Hamburger Buns don't fall apart and are perfect for hamburgers, chicken burgers or anything else you would fill a sandwich with. I especially like to use these low carb buns for my Keto Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich.
Make these low carb hamburger buns all summer long for those days when you just want to throw burgers on the grill. I love to make a batch and freeze them so I can enjoy any time of the year.
These buns were inspired by my Cheesy Keto Cheddar Rolls as I not only love them as a dinner roll but I was using them for my burgers. I wanted a plain bun rather than a cheesy one, so I came up with this low carb hamburger bun recipe.
These buns are not made with a lot of cheese or fibers and may not cause digestion issues like some other low carb bun recipes. However, you may want to ingest a small portion before eating a whole bun.
- 🥘 Ingredient notes
- 👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
- 🍴 You might also like these baked recipes
- 📋 Substitutions and Variations
- ♨️ Storing and freezing the buns
- 👨🏻🍳 Top tip
- 🍴 What to serve with low carb hamburger buns?
- 💭 Frequently asked questions
- 🍽 Other recipes you may like
- Low Carb Hamburger Buns
- 🌡️ Food safety
🥘 Ingredient notes
These buns are made with a blend of almond flour and egg white protein powder which allows it to hold up and not fall apart. Plus we add some xanthan gum to help lock in the moisture.
- Almond Flour: ground blanched almonds were used for this recipe which gives it a slightly nutty flavour plus it's low carb and gluten free.
- Cream cheese: for that mild sweet taste and pleasant tang makes this gives some flavour to the buns.
- Egg White Protein Powder: to help increase protein and also give more of that bread like texture to these buns.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: to help strengthen the dough and make it springy like regular bread. It also helps it rise in the oven.
- Baking Powder: acts as a leavening agent and also helps the bread rise
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make Low Carb Hamburger Buns
STEP 1: In a small bowl mix 1 egg with ¼ cup water and set aside, then mix the dry ingredients (except the sesame seeds) in a large bowl.
STEP 2: In another large bowl mix the wet ingredients until well incorporated and frothy. (only use 1 egg, the other egg is for the egg wash)
STEP 3: Add the wet mixture into the dry mixture bowl and mix until smooth and doughy.
- STEP 4: Divide dough into 4 balls and then shape each ball into a ¾" thick hamburger bun and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush with the egg wash mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
STEP 5: Using a sharp knife score the tops of the buns to create an X. You can do this before or after topping with sesame seeds.
STEP 6: Place buns in a preheated oven at 350°F oven for 25-30 minutes. Buns should be slightly golden when done. For softer buns do not wait until they are completely golden. Check around 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before slicing in half crosswise.
📋 Substitutions and Variations
I can't think of a substitution for the cream cheese but if you want to make these buns dairy free, you can omit the cream cheese. The cream cheese adds some extra flavour but can be omitted.
- Egg White Powder - if you don't have egg white powder your best bet would be to use fresh egg whites. Use 1.5 egg whites to replace the 1 tablespoon of egg white powder.
- Italiano - make these italian buns and add ½ teaspoon of dried oregano the the dry mixture
- Cheesy - and a ¼ cup of shredded cheddar to the dough to make these cheesy bun
♨️ Storing and freezing the buns
You can keep these buns at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you want to freeze them, freeze them individually in freezer safe bags. Freeze them as soon as you know you will not eat them as stale buns do not freeze well. To thaw, simply lay them out on the counter for 30 minutes before consuming.
👨🏻🍳 Top tip
Don't overbake the buns as they will be too crusty. You want to remove them from the oven once they are lightly golden. Do not slice into them until they are completely cooled.
🍴 What to serve with low carb hamburger buns?
Hamburgers: a juicy burger would be my go to with these buns. Top with some juicy pickles slices, a tomato slice and some mayo.
Chicken or turkey burgers: Same as the hamburger, add your favourite toppings and enjoy without those pesky lettuce wraps.
Taco meat: use these buns with taco meat, some salsa and sour cream and have a fiesta party.
Nashville Hot Chicken: enjoy these buns with my spicy chicken made in the air fryer or in the oven.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Each bun is only 2g net carbs per serving and would easily fit into a keto diet. They are also sugar free and would be a great option for diabetics.
Yes, although most baking powders are gluten free, be sure to check your label before adding baking powder.
Hamburger buns are usually flatter then other buns. Plus we simply want a vessel to hold the contents, not to overpower the meal.
Wait until they are completely cooled and use a bread knife cutting them crosswise. Lay them on a flat surface with one hand pressing down on the bun while using the bread knife to evenly slice in the middle so that you end up with an even top and bottom bun.
Please comment, rate or review my recipe below!
Low Carb Hamburger Buns
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, egg white protein powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl combine 1 egg with apple cider vinegar, cream cheese and warm water. Whisky until frothy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine using a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined and doughy.
- Form the dough with your hands into a ball and then divide into 4
- Form into a ball and then flatten with your hands to shape into a hamburger bun. About ¾ inch thick.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 1 egg with the 1 tablespoon of water
- Brush the egg wash onto each bun and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Using a sharp knife score a cross into the top of the buns. Do not score too deep. This will help the buns rise a bit.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes or until lightly golden. Do not over bake.
- Allow to completely cool before slicing into the buns.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines