Tajin Keto Chicken Wings are super crispy and full of all the chili and lime flavours. Made in the air fryer or oven, these keto chicken wings will give you all the feels.
Everytime I make them they are gone in seconds and everyone asks for more. Perfect for a get together or when you want a meal all to yourself. They will never know it's keto and under 1g of total carbs per wing.
Table of Contents:
As someone who follows a low carb and diabetic friendly diet, chicken wings are a weekly thing in my house. We usually have them on Wednesday nights and this is my favourite way to make them. For another flavourful chicken wing recipe, see my Cilantro Lime Chicken Wing recipe.
What is Tajin?
Tajin seasoning is a widely versatile Mexican spice made with lime, peppers and salt. The flavours are bright and citrusy yet tangy and slightly spicy.
This low carb chicken wings recipe is made with a few spices, baking powder and salt. Air fryer chicken wings are an easy way to make them but they can also be made just the same in the oven.
- Chicken Wings: drummettes or flats can be used for this recipe, I often use a mixture of both but for this recipe I only used the flat (wingette) wings.
- Tajin: the star of the show, usually found in the mexican or international aisle at the grocery store.
- Paprika: fruity, sweet, and juicy, with a little bit of acidity perfect option to make this pie diabetic friendly and low carb.
- Chili Powder: a spice blend made from ground dried chiles and a number of other spices.
- Garlic Powder: still nutty but a little sweet and less assertive than fresh garlic
- Baking Powder: adds surface area to the chicken which helps to intensify their crunch.
Steps by step instructions
How to make Keto Chicken Wings with Tajin?
Air Fryer Method
First preheat your air fryer to 400°F and get it nice and hot for the wings.
Next pat the chicken wings dry with a paper towel. You want to remove any moisture. This will help in making the wings crispy. Too much moisture will mean less crisp to them.
In a large bowl toss the wings with the paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, baking powder and salt. Basically all ingredients except the Tajin seasoning which will be used after air frying.
Next spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray if needed. I have an older air fryer so mine has lost it's non-stick coating.
Place the seasoned chicken wings in the air fryer, leaving enough room so they are not touching. We want to maintain some air flow so the chicken wings get lots of air time.
For extra crispy wings, Air fry the wings at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes. If you prefer your wings not so crispy cook for 12-15 minutes.
Transfer the air fryer chicken wings to a large bowl and toss with the tajin. Do this while they are still hot so the seasonings stick to the wings.
Baked keto chicken wings in the oven are just as simple as the air fryer method but requires a little difference in temperature and length of time.
First, preheat your oven to 325°F, pat the wings dry with a paper towel and then toss the wings in a large bowl with all the ingredients, except the Tajin.
Transfer the wings to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake them at 325°F for 20 minutes. Then flip the wings and crank up the heat to 425°F and bake them for another 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven, transfer to a large bowl and toss with the Tajin seasoning while they are hot. Enjoy the tajin chicken wings.
Keto Chicken Wings with Tajin Seasoning is a quick and simple recipe full of delicious flavours.
Top Tip: don't over stuff the air fryer basket. You may need to make your wings in batches if you have a small air fryer. Ensuring the wings have lots of air flow will make them crispier.
Tip: Do not mistake baking powder with baking soda. Only baking powder must be used in this recipe.
- Serving: serve with your favourite dipping sauce like a blue cheese dressing or ranch with a side of celery sticks or carrots.
- Storage: it's unlikely you will have leftovers but if you do, store the wings in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Reheat in the air fryer or oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
These Low Carb Keto Chicken Wings are great with the tajin seasoning. However, if you are not a fan of tajin here are a few other variations.
Sometimes I love to eat chicken wings simply with salt and pepper but if you want something different I would try these:
- Buffalo Wings - after cooked in the air fryer toss with some franks buffalo hot sauce and butter for a restaurant style buffalo chicken wing.
- Parmesan - how about topping those wings fresh out of the air fryer for a cheesy wing instead of the tajin.
- Dill Pickle Seasoning - another favourite of mine, toss the wings with dill pickle popcorn seasoning once they are hot out of the air fryer.
Having chicken thighs instead, why not try this Crispy Keto Chicken Thighs recipe.
Equipment used to make these keto chicken wings
Making low carb chicken wings in the air fryer is a great way to make these wings. My favourite kitchen appliance is definitely the air fryer. I do get a lot of use out of it. If you are looking to purchase one, here are just a few.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates sites. I can make a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Frequently asked questions
Baking powder is not a must but they do help in making the chicken wings crispier. It is alkaline so it raises the skin's pH, breaking down the proteins more efficiently and making for crispier wings.
These chicken wings are made without flour and are simply coated with spices, making them keto friendly. low carb and a better option for diabetics. Each keto chicken wing contains only 1g total carbs.
There was likely too much moisture on the wings. Patting the wings dry with a paper towel helps to remove the moisture.
Tajin Chicken Wings
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400°F
- Pat the wings dry with a paper towel and then toss them with all the ingredients except the tajin.
- Transfer to air fryer basket and cook at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes. If you don't like your wings extra crispy, cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from air fryer and toss with the tajin in a large bowl while the wings are still warm.
- See oven method under the step by step instructions.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines