Baked in the oven these Keto Crispy Chicken Thighs are made with just the right amount of seasonings and come out of the oven with a crispy flavourful skin and juicy meat without any breading at all.
I have been making these low carb oven baked chicken thighs for years and they turn out perfect every time.
Crispy baked chicken thighs are the easiest keto dinner recipe as it requires no marinating and no prep. Just simply sprinkle with some seasoning and throw it in the oven.
For another low carb chicken recipe see my Low Carb Sheet Pan Chicken recipe.
🥘 Ingredients used to make keto chicken thighs
Made with special mix of seasonings like onion powder, paprika and oregano with a secret weapon to get them even crispier. Unlike fried chicken these thighs are made in the oven until golden and crispy baked.
- Chicken thighs: the best part of the chicken, in my opinion, because they are dark meat they cook up nice and tender.
- Baking Powder: adds surface area to the chicken which helps to intensify their crunch.
- Onion Powder: provides a similar flavour to fresh onions with a concentrated flavour profile
- Garlic Powder: still nutty but a little sweet and less assertive than the fresh garlic
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make Crispy Keto Chicken Thighs?
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 400°F. Then pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and place in a large bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken. Combine all the spice ingredients and the baking powder in a bowl and then sprinkle over the chicken.
STEP 2: Using tongs, toss the chicken with the spices until they are well coated.
STEP 3: Place the chicken thighs in a 9" x 13" baking pan lined with tin foil. You can use a rimmed baking sheet pan for this recipe but I prefer to have the chicken snuggling with each other with the chicken fat that they release.
- STEP 4: Bake in a 400°F oven for about 50 minutes until the internal temperature is 165°F.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: Place the chicken in the baking pan with the skin side up. For extra crispy skin you can baste it a couple times while it's roasting in the oven.
- Serving: enjoy this oven baked chicken thighs recipe with a side of veggies, like my Blue Cheese Brussel Sprouts or my Air Fryer Crispy Green Beans.
- Storage: store these keto chicken thighs in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in tinfoil for 3 to 4 days. Warm up in the oven for best results.
- Freeze: if freezing the crispy baked chicken, store in an airtight container or heavy duty freezer bag. If stored properly it can last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Air Fryer: make in the air fryer instead at 400°F for 10 minutes each side, skin side down first.
♨️ Recipe variations
This chicken thigh recipe is great as is but if you want to kick it up a notch, here are a few variations:
- Spice - if you want some heat with on your chicken add a ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the spice mix.
- Sweet - if you prefer a sweet and salty type of chicken add a tablespoon of Swerve Brown Sugar to the spice mix.
- Zesty - add a teaspoon of lemon pepper to the spice mix for a zesty crispy chicken thighs recipe.
This recipe is also gluten free.
See this Keto Nashville Hot Chicken recipe for a next level of heat!
💭 Frequently asked questions
No, you do not want to cover the chicken thighs as you will not get a crispy chicken skin.
Yes, when overcooked chicken can become dry and leathery. Using a thermometer and cooking the chicken until the internal temperature is 165°F is the best way to not overcook chicken.
Chicken thighs are used in this recipe because they have a higher fat content and don't dry out like a chicken breast does.
One thigh using this recipe contains 1g of carbohydrates. Therefore, this recipe would likely fit into a keto diet daily macros since it is low carb and diabetic friendly.
Keto Crispy Chicken Thighs
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the chicken. Combine all the spice ingredients and the baking powder in a small bowl and sprinkle over the chicken.
- Toss the chicken with the spices until they are well coated and transfer to a 9" x 13" baking pan lined with tin foil.
- Bake in a 400°F oven for about 50 minutes until the internal temperature is 165°F.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, tips and variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines