Super Crunchy Keto Asparagus Fries Baked in the Oven are the new French Fries. At least that's what I like to think.
I simply can't get enough of these veggies especially in the spring when they are in season. If you enjoy asparagus on their own, coating them with some crumbs will definitely bring that X factor to your asparagus game.
In addition, they are a perfect appetizer paired with a garlic aioli dip for all your get togethers. Everyone will be raving about these crunchy appetizers that are low carb, keto and diabetes friendly.
They won't even know it healthy and you don't have to tell them.
Asparagus was always one of those vegetables I disliked as a child. I never really liked the look of them and at that age, I usually didn't eat anything green.
Now it's one of my favourite vegetables I can eat many different ways, grilled, steamed and now as a fry!
My first time having asparagus fries were at The Keg restaurant several years ago. Back then I think they had a tempura batter but I don't think they have them on their menu any longer.
What are Keto Asparagus Fries?
Keto asparagus fries are asparagus spears coated with breadcrumbs and baked in the oven on a wire rack or they could be made in the air fryer. These are crusted with almond flour, spices, eggs and a mix of pork rind and parmesan crumbs.
Alternatively, if you don't want to use pork rinds you can simply make them without but they may not be as crunchy.
What makes Keto Asparagus Fries, Low Carb and Diabetes Friendly?
Because I don't use actual flour and breadcrumbs to coat the asparagus, that makes them lower in carbohydrates which fits into a keto, low carb and diabetes diet without spiking blood sugars.
What dip goes best with the asparagus fries?
I made mine with a mixture of mayo, sour cream, garlic powder, dill seasoning, salt, pepper and topped it with paprika. I simply eye balled it and made it to taste how I preferred.
Another dip that goes well with these fries is a mix of soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic. Most dips will work, it depends on your preference and the amount of carbs you are willing to add.
What food goes well with Keto Asparagus Fries?
Typically I would pair these fries with anything you would normally have with french fries like a burger (no bun) or a juicy steak. You can also enjoy them on their own or as an appetizer before a meal.
Step by Step Instructions for Keto Asparagus Fries
Keto Asparagus Fries
- Trim asparagus and cut in half
- In a medium size dry pan toast the pork rinds and parmesan on low to medium heat
- In a medium bowl mix together the spices and then add the toasted pork rinds and parmesan
- In another medium bowl mix together the two eggs
- In another medium bowl add the 1 cup of almond flour
- Dip the asparagus spears in the egg first, then dredge through the almond flour, then back in the egg bowl and then lastly into the pork rind/parm bowl. Crust well and press the crumbs onto the asparagus if. You can see how I did it in the video.
- Using a wired rack on a baking tray, spray with your preferred cooking spray or grease with olive oil and a paper napkin
- Place each crusted spear on the wire rack. Once all are breaded, spray the spears with cooking spray.
- Bake in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes or until golden.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, tips and variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Have a look at all my appetizer recipes for more.