This Keto Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Soup is made with rotisserie chicken carcass and leftover meat. Pressure cooked to make a chicken stock and then quickly warmed up with some tasty veggies.
Low carb chicken soup made in the instant pot gives you all the flavours of a good soup without the hours of standing over the stove watching over a boiling pot.
The fall and winter season is the perfect time for instant pot chicken soup and this low carb version will keep you warm and toasty all season long. Alternatively you can let it sit in the slow cooker all day or make this Low Carb French Onion Soup recipe.
Table of Contents:
- 📺 Watch how to make this low carb soup
- 🥘 Ingredients Used for this keto recipe
- 👨🏻🍳 Steps to make this low carb soup
- 👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
- ♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
- 🥣 Equipment used to make
- 💭 Frequently asked questions
- 🍽 Other soup recipes you may like
- Keto Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Soup
📺 Watch how to make this low carb soup
🥘 Ingredients Used for this keto recipe
Made with leftover rotisserie chicken carcass this keto soup is first made into a chicken stock and then simply adding a few vegetables to make the soup.
- Rotisserie Chicken Carcass: we all love grabbing a rotisserie chicken in a pinch from the grocery store. Save that carcass in a freezer bag until you are ready to make this recipe.
- Garlic: flavours from two cloves resting on top of the carcass while pressure cooking will help release it's sweet and nutty flavours into the chicken stock
- Carrots, Celery and Onion: to sweeten and deepen the flavours of the soup
- Bay Leaf: giving the soup a slightly minty flavour with hints of black pepper and christmas tree pine.
👨🏻🍳 Steps to make this low carb soup
How to make low carb chicken soup
STEP 1: Place the trivet into the instant pot and then place a leftover chicken carcass (fresh or frozen) onto the trivet with the celery leaves and 2 peeled cloves of garlic. Add 6 cups of water. Place the lid on and set to venting. Pressure cook on high for 1 hour.
STEP 2: Do a quick release after the hour is up and once the pin drops remove the lid. Remove the carcass and separate any leftover meat. Remove the celery and garlic and strain the chicken stock, set aside leaving the instant pot empty.
STEP 3: Add olive oil to the instant pot and set to instant pot to saute on normal heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, salt and bay leaf and cook until softened. Then add the strained chicken stock, leftover chicken meat, garlic powder and pepper. Place lid on instant pot and set to venting. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- STEP 4: After the 10 minutes, do a quick release and once the pin drops, remove the lid and enjoy the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
STEP 5: Serve with your favourite low carb crackers.
👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
The different ingredients that can be used in a keto chicken soup are endless. Here are some of the different ways this soup can me made.
- Chicken - don't have a chicken carcass but have leftover chicken thighs or boneless skinless chicken in the fridge? Use them instead of the carcass just the same.
- Slow Cooker - have more time and want to slow cook instead? Slow cook the carcass for 8 hours on low instead of pressure cooking it for an hour. Then follow the same steps.
- Vegetables - add more of your favourite veggies like cauliflower or broccoli bites to this recipe to make it a more heartier soup.
- Salt: I do not add very much salt to this soup so feel free to add more salt as needed.
Another great low carb soup recipe is this Butternut Squash Soup with curry and chipotle powder.
♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
Top Tip: after removing the carcass from the instant pot, allow it cool and then use your hands to remove all the leftover meat from the carcass. This is the only way to get all the last pieces of meat. You can also feel and remove any smaller bones that you don't want in the soup. Pressure cooking may have made most of the bones really soft, so take extra time to remove all of them while removing the meat.
- Serving: enjoy the soup with your favourite low carb crackers or a side sandwich like this Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- Storage: store the soup in mason jars in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze in plastic air tight containers in the fridge for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw the night before and warm up in the microwave.
🥣 Equipment used to make
I do love my Instant Pot and the more I use it, the more I want to use it again. However, this soup can be made using various types of pressure cookers or slow cookers.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliates sites.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Dry parsley or chives, onion powder or more garlic powder will add more flavour.
I am not a fan of cooking raw chicken in soup but it is perfectly fine if you wish to use raw chicken. Just make sure it is cooked long enough which 1 hour in the pressure cook would be good.
Chicken stock is made from bones and chicken broth is made mostly from chicken meat and vegetables.
If you enjoyed this recipe I would love if you would share on social or pin on pinterest. Also feel free to rate or comment below I would love your feedback.
Keto Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken Soup
- Place the trivet into the instant pot and then place a leftover chicken carcass (fresh or frozen) onto the trivet with the celery leaves and the peeled cloves of garlic. Add the water. Place the lid on and set to venting. Pressure cook on high for 1 hour.
- Do a quick release after the hour is up and once the pin drops remove the lid. Remove the carcass and separate any leftover meat. Remove the celery and garlic and strain the chicken stock, set aside leaving the instant pot empty.
- Add olive oil to the instant pot and set to instant pot to saute on normal heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, salt and bay leaf and cook until softened. Then add the strained chicken stock, leftover chicken meat, garlic powder and pepper. Place lid on instant pot and set to venting. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- After the 10 minutes, do a quick release and once the pin drops, remove the lid and enjoy the soup. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines