A delicious low carb Keto Hot Chocolate that is luxuriously rich and creamy. Topped with dollops of whipping cream and shaved dark chocolate. This is an easy recipe that will keep you warm all winter long.
Made with sugar free ingredients to keep it low carb and diabetic friendly, this hot chocolate will give you all the feels this winter.
When I want something warm and cozy to drink on a cold day, this is it. No more wimpy watery thin hot chocolate that grannie used to make.
This super creamy and delicious keto hot chocolate is what dreams are made of and are sure to keep you nice and toasty after playing in the snow.
If you are a chocolate lover like me you will also love these Air Fryer Double Chocolate Donuts.
Why you'll love this keto hot chocolate?
- Super easy and quick to make in under 10 minutes.
- It's keto and low carb with 2g net carbs per serving.
- Chocolatey rich, creamy and feels good to the soul.
- Optional touch of spiciness makes it a unique warming drink that will wow everyone.
- Perfect to make a big batch and serve a crowd.
Made with minimal ingredients this keto friendly hot chocolate is served nice and warm with optional whipping cream and shaved dark chocolate.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: giving this low carb hot chocolate a rich and creamy texture.
- Unsweetened Almond Milk: keeping it sugar free with unsweetened nut milk.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: adding a warm cocoa flavor to this hot chocolate.
- Low Carb Chocolate Chips: we used Coco Polo 70% dark chocolate chips for this recipe. If you are in Canada you can purchase at SwitchGrocery or use your favorite low carb dark or milk chocolate chips.
- Erythritol: optional sweetener to taste, especially if the chocolate you use contains sweetener.
- Cinnamon: gives this hot chocolate some depth and warmth.
- Cayenne: optional but just a pinch makes a big difference without being too spicy.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make this Keto Hot Chocolate recipe?
STEP 1: In a small saucepan over medium heat add the heavy whipping cream and unsweetened almond milk. Then add the unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon, sweetener and optional cayenne pepper.
Whisk until dissolved and then add the low carb sugar free chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted.
STEP 2: Pour into your favorite mug and top with dollops of whipped heavy cream and shavings of dark chocolate.
Other low carb chocolate recipes you might enjoy
- Low Carb Chocolate Mousse
- Double Chocolate Fudge Cookies
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Protein Shake
Top Tip: this recipe uses erythritol for the sweetener but feel free to use your sweetener of choice like allulose, monk fruit, stevia...etc.
Chocolate Chips: you might not find keto chocolate chips in the grocery store and may need to order them online. My favorite no sugar added chocolate chips are from Coco Polo. Here are a few other options you can purchase on Amazon:
- Serving: we love this keto hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings. A sprinkle of cinnamon also goes well with this warm beverage.
- Storage: if you are going to make a big batch of this keto hot chocolate you can store it in a large mason jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Low carb hot chocolate is a super fun beverage and there are several variations you can make for everyone. Here are just a few:
- Dairy-Free - make a dairy free version by swapping the heavy cream with coconut cream or full fat coconut milk.
- Low Fat: to make this beverage with less calories do not use any cream and increase the amount of nut milk to 1 and ¾ cups.
- Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Latte - combine this keto hot chocolate with my Pumpkin Spice Creamer Recipe and enjoy a delicious and super creamy chocolate keto pumpkin spice latte. I usually enjoy this in the fall months like October and November.
- Gingerbread Hot Chocolate - spice it up even more and add a pinch of ground ginger and nutmeg for a spicy and warm gingerbread hot chocolate.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: a couple of drops of peppermint extract turns it into a delicious and minty peppermint hot chocolate.
This Creamy Bulletproof Bone Broth recipe is another warm beverage I enjoy in the cooler months.
Frequently asked questions
This recipe is made with low carb ingredients and contains 2g net carbs per serving. Therefore it may be considered diabetic-friendly. I suggest you monitor your blood sugars to see how it affects you personally as everyone is different.
Cocoa powder is allowed as long as it is unsweetened cocoa powder. Please be sure to read the nutrition and ingredient labels carefully and purchase a cocoa powder that is unsweetened and sugar-free.
Unsweetened almond milk is keto friendly and contains about 1.5 grams of carbs per cup.
Keto Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Shallow Sauce Pan
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1.5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 tablespoon sweetener or sweetener alternative
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 3 oz low carb dark chocolate chips
- In a small suacepan over medium heat add all the ingredients except the chocolate chips. Whisk until all ingredients have dissolved.¼ cup heavy whipping cream, 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1.5 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, 1.5 tablespoon sweetener, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until the chocolate is melted. Simmer for about 1-2 minutes.3 oz low carb dark chocolate chips
- Serve in a large mug and top with dollops of whipped cream and dark chocolate shavings. (optional)
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
Dee at Scratch Market
This looks great. I'm not doing Keto but I've been incorporating a lot of low carb foods in my diet recently. Definitely going to give this a try.
I learned something new today, thank you.
Your recipe looks and sounds inviting and look forward to making it in my kitchen.
Thank you for sharing.
Oh, I love the spices in it. Genius way to make it taste even more chocolatey and comforting. Thanks for a great hot chocolate.
I’m definitely going to try this! Will switch out the heavy cream for whipped coconut cream to make it vegan for me. 🙂
Helen at the lazy gastronome
This hot chocolate is amazing. You’ll never know it’s low carb!