Delicious Sugar Free Air Fryer Chocolate Donuts are made in the air fryer and dipped in a sugar free chocolate glaze. A perfect diabetic friendly dessert or treat for someone watching their carbs.
Only 2g net carbs per serving, these keto double chocolate air fryer donuts are healthier than traditional donuts.
I have always loved donuts and enjoy making them sugar free so I don't have to worry about the sugar spikes. As someone living with diabetes it is important for me to consume foods that don't affect my blood sugars.
These double chocolate sugar free donuts are inspired by my other low carb donuts. Specifically this Low Carb Chocolate Toasted Coconut Donut recipe.
These sugar free donuts are made with almond flour, butter, eggs and cocoa powder as the main ingredient. Making them double chocolate with a sugar free chocolate glaze. They are low carb, gluten free and diabetic friendly.
- Almond Flour: almond flour gives these donuts a slightly nutty flavour while keeping the carbs at a minimum.
- Eggs: helps to make theses donuts soft and rich.
- Butter: helps the donuts to rise in the air fryer.
- Erythritol: this is my favourite sweetener as I find it is the closest sweetener to sugar and as a type 2 diabetic it does not seem to spike my blood sugars.
- Cocoa Powder: use and unsweetened cocoa powder, giving these donuts its chocolate flavour.
- Espresso Powder: enhances the chocolate flavours in these sugar free donuts.
- Chocolate Chips: for the glaze we used Coco Polo chocolate chips but any sugar free chocolates will work.
Steps by step instructions
How to make sugar free air fryer double chocolate donuts?
STEP 1: Preheat air fryer to 350°F.
Using a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients first and then form a well in the centre and add the wet ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula until all ingredients are well combined.
Transfer the donut batter to a piping bag and pipe into the silicone donut molds about half way. Alternatively you can spoon the donut batter into the molds. Pat down the batter in the mold with your fingers to smooth it out evenly.
STEP 2: Gently transfer the molds into the air fryer basket by holding the centre tip of the molds. This recipe makes 12 mini donuts and my air fryer fits 6. So I had to do this twice.
Air fry at 350°F for 8 minutes.
STEP 3: When done donuts should be firm on the top but soft to the touch. Allow to cool completely before removing from the silicone molds otherwise they will fall apart.
- STEP 4: to make the chocolate glaze add the chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl with a ½ tablespoon of butter. Microwave on high in 30 second increments mixing in between until melted.
- Total time for me was 75 seconds to melt the chocolate.
- Once the donuts have completely cooled, gently remove them from the silicone molds (see how I removed them in the video)
- Dip donuts in the glaze and place on a cooling rack until the chocolate sets.
Make these donuts in the oven
See my other donut recipes to make these Double Chocolate Donuts in the oven. If you don't have the silicone donut molds you can use a donut pan and bake at 350°F for 16-18 minutes.
Check out my Eggnog Donuts or these Gingerbread Donuts to see how I made them in the oven.
Top Tip: be sure to allow the donuts to cool in the silicone molds before removing them as they will fall apart if removed while they are still warm.
Tip: use caution when removing the donuts from the air fryer basket while it is still hot. Lifting the donut molds with a pair of tongs made it easier.
Glaze: after dipping the donuts in the glaze, tapping them on the cooling rack will help to smooth out the chocolate glaze.
- Serving: best served fresh the same day and enjoyed with a cup of coffee or sugar free hot chocolate.
- Storage: store covered with plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Donuts variations are endless and there are so many ways to enjoy them. Here are some of my favourite variations while keeping it low carb.
- Vanilla Glaze - dip in a sugar glaze instead by mixing ½ a cup of powdered erythritol with 2 tablespoon of heavy cream and a ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon Sugar - combine a tablespoon of ground cinnamon with a ¼ cup of granular erythritol. Sprinkle over donuts while still warm.
- Sprinkles - make the vanilla glaze and after dipping the donuts dip into some sugar free sprinkles.
Equipment used to make these donuts
This recipe uses Mini Silicone Donut Molds which are perfect for the air fryer or oven. We also use these Disposable Piping Bags to pipe the donut batter into the silicone molds.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I can make a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Frequently asked questions
Each donut contains roughly 158 calories.
Each donut contains roughly 2g net carbs and therefore would likely fit into your daily macros of a ketogenic diet.
These donuts are made with low carb ingredients and without sugar. Therefore they are likely safe for people with diabetes. However, you should monitor your blood sugars after consuming a donut to see how it affects you personally.
Other low carb dessert recipes you might enjoy
Air Fryer Chocolate Donuts (Sugar Free)
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup sweetener
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream 35% Cream
- ½ cup sugar free chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon butter
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag and pipe into the mini silicone donut molds.
- Place into air fryer basket and air fry at 350°F for 8 minutes.
- Allow donuts to completely cool before removing from the donut molds.
- In a small bowl add the chocolate chips and butter.
- Microwave on high in 30 second increments until melted. Mixing in between increments.
- Once donuts are cooled dip into the chocolate glaze and place on a cooling rack until set.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the silicone molds before removing them as they will fall apart if removed while they are still warm.
- Use caution when removing the donuts from the air fryer basket while it is still hot. Lifting the donut molds with a pair of tongs made it easier.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Hello! Can you bake these instead?
Yes, follow the baking directions from my other donut recipe here.
These sugar free doughnuts look amazing and the fact that is sugar free is a real bonus.
I love your recipes and these yummy air fryer donuts are no exception. I've passed your site onto my sister who is really having blood sugar issues and is having a hard time finding new things to eat. She's going to love these donuts.
love that these are sugar free! so tasty and delicious!
They are so good!