Sugar Free Coffee Ice Cream is a no churn deliciously caffeinated keto and low carb ice cream that tastes like a chocolate bulletproof coffee.
This super rich creamy gelato will be your summer go to ice cream when you want to cool down and have a sugar free and diabetic friendly treat made without an ice cream maker.
Next time you are in the mood for your bulletproof coffee, why not try making this bullet coffee ice cream? Fall in love with ice cream again and enjoy summer the way it's meant to be.
Ingredient notes to make Sugar Free Coffee Ice Cream
This keto ice cream recipe brings all the ingredients from a blended coffee into a cool and creamy dessert.
- Espresso powder: for that coffee flavour and also brings out more of the chocolate as well.
- Dark chocolate: bringing the intense flavours of chocolate to this keto ice cream
- Coconut Oil: gives this recipe that gooey texture that makes it feel like you are having a gelato in Italy.
- Erythritol: this is my favourite sweetener as I find it is the closest sweetener to sugar and as a type 2 diabetic it does not seem to spike my blood sugars.
- Eggs: improves the stability of the ice cream and works with it so it doesn't melt too quickly.
- See the recipe card for quantities.
More keto desserts you might enjoy
- Low Carb Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars
- Low Carb Chocolate Mousse
- Low Carb Berry Smoothie
- Sugar Free Fruity Crispy Treats
Step by step instructions
How to make sugar free coffee ice cream?
STEP 1: Combine the four egg yolks and vanilla with a fork, then set aside.
STEP 2: Place a medium saucepan over medium heat and add the heavy cream and erythritol, mix until well dissolved.
Add the remaining ingredients except for the yolks, vanilla and chocolate.
STEP 3: Whisk until well combined and all of the ghee and coconut oil has melted.
STEP 4: Turn up the heat to medium/high and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes thick and you can coat the back of a wooden spoon. (see video for reference)
Remove from heat and continue to whisk and allow to cool. Continue to whisk while cooling otherwise a skin may form on the top.
STEP 5: Once cooled, slowly pour mixture into the yolk/vanilla mixture using a large bowl. Pour a little at a time while whisking. Once it is all added, continue to whisk until a froth forms on the top. ( I whisked by hand but feel free to use an electric mixer).
Now stir in the chocolate chunks until evenly combined and then pour entire mixture into an air tight container and place in the freezer. I used a glass Tupperware container.
Freeze for about 5 hours. However, stir or scrape the mixture every hour.
STEP 6: After 5 hours it should be ready. If you freeze overnight you should leave ice cream out of the freezer for a bit in order to soften so you can scoop out the ice cream.
Pro Tip: adding a little alcohol like vodka or tequila to the mixture helps to prevent large ice crystals from forming, making a softer texture. About 1 tablespoon will make a difference. Too much and the ice cream won't freeze at all.
Tip: Removing the ice cream from the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to consume it will also make a difference and will make for softer ice cream.
Serving: serve on its own or topped with a crumbled Low Carb Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Storage: store in an air-tight container in the freezer for up to a week.
Here are several ways you can add or change some of the ingredients to change up this sugar free chocolate ice cream recipe.
Peanut Butter: add a cup of smooth natural peanut butter to the mixture while mixing in the saucepan for a delicious peanut butter flavor.
Nuts: add some chopped nuts like hazelnuts, cashews, or walnuts to this recipe for an additional crunch.
Strawberries: if you like chocolate-covered strawberries add some frozen strawberries to the mixture instead of the chocolate chunks.
More low carb recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Pecan Pralines
- Sugar Free Banana Popsicles
- Healthy Keto Taco Pasta
- Sugar Free Lemon Sorbet (Ninja Creami)
- Low Carb Blackberry Coconut Bars
I think ice cream can be enjoyed all year round but typically ice cream is known to be enjoyed in the summer months like June, July and August.
Yes, feel free to use your favorite sweeteners like monk fruit sweeteners, allulose, or stevia to name a few.
Bullet Coffee Ice Cream
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- ½ Cup powdered erythritol
- 3 tablespoon Philosophie Cacao Magic or your favourite Dark Cacao Powder
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- ¼ cup Cocopolo Dark Chocolate tabs or your dark chocolate of choice
- Optional - a pinch of sea salt or fleur de sel for topping
- Combine the four egg yolks and vanilla and set aside4 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place a medium pot over medium low heat
- Pour in the heavy cream and the erythritol2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream, ½ Cup powdered erythritol
- Mix until well dissolved
- Add the remaining ingredients except the yolks, vanilla and chocolate3 tablespoon Philosophie Cacao Magic or your favourite Dark Cacao Powder, 1 tablespoon ghee or butter, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- Whisk ingredients until well combined and all the ghee and coconut oil has melted
- Turn up the heat to medium/high and continue to whisk until mixture becomes thick and you can coat a wooden spoon. See video for example.
- Remove from heat and continue to whisk and let cool.
- Continue to whisk while cooling otherwise a skin may form.
- Once cooled, using a large bowl, slowly pour mixture into the yolk/vanilla mixture. Pour a little at a time and whisk while pouring. Once all is added, continue to whisk until a froth forms on the top. ( I whisked by hand but feel free to use an electric mixer)
- Add the chocolate chunks and whisk one more time¼ cup Cocopolo Dark Chocolate tabs or your dark chocolate of choice
- Pour entire mixture into an air tight container and place in the freezer
- Freeze for about 5 hours. However, stir mixture every hour.
- After 5 hours it should be ready. If you freeze overnight you should leave ice cream out of the freezer for a bit in order to soften so you can scoop out the ice cream.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines