This Carbonaut Bread Waffle Sandwich is stuffed with roast beef, provolone, and horseradish mayo and then grilled to golden melty perfection in a waffle iron.
Super simple to make and perfect for a quick scrumptious lunch while keeping it low carb, keto and diabetic friendly.
I've tried to make everything in my waffle iron, including halloumi waffles. This time I decided to try using some low carb carbonaut bread to make a sandwich and it turned out nice and crispy on the outside and super soft and gooey on the inside.
This carbonaut bread recipe is almost like a grilled cheese sandwich but with juicy slices of roast beef smothered with horseradish mayonnaise. It's a super comforting recipe that will warm your heart and sinuses.
What is carbonaut bread?
Carbonaut bread is a low carb and keto bread that is 100% plant based and often enjoyed by those who enjoy a low carb lifestyle or low carb diet. It's also keto certified.
It is also a gluten free bread and comes in plain or seeded bread. They also make gluten-free cinnamon raisin bagels, hot dog and hamburger buns. The plain bread contains 2g net carbs per slice. In Canada, I buy the bread at Costco.
Only 5 ingredients
Simple and quick waffle sandwich recipe made with only these 5 ingredients:
- Carbonaut Bread: any low carb sliced bread will work for this recipe, Carbonaut Bread happens to be my favorite low carb keto bread.
- Horseradish Mayonaisse: creamy and tangy with the prominent horseradish flavor but toned down with the mayo.
- Roast Beef: thin slices of deli-style roast beef was used for this low carb bread recipe.
- Provolone Cheese: has a sharper taste than mozzarella and is aged longer.
- Butter: spread on the outside of the bread slices to give it some crispiness while adding a buttery flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make a carbonaut bread waffle sandwich?
STEP 1: Warm up your waffle iron. Place a slice of the carbonaut bread on a plate and spread on the horseradish mayonnaise.
Then top with a slice of provolone, roast beef slices, another slice of provolone and spread more horseradish mayonnaise on the top before placing it onto the provolone cheese.
STEP 2: Spread some butter on the top of the sandwich, flip it, and place it in the waffle iron. Now spread butter on the other slice of bread and firmly close the waffle iron.
STEP 3: Let it grill for about 3 minutes while pressing firmly on the waffle iron. You may want to place something heavy on the waffle iron to keep the lid closed firmly.
After 3 minutes lift the lid to see if golden brown, it may need a couple more minutes, depending on the type of waffle iron you have. I used a Dash Mini Waffle Iron.
Remove from the waffle iron once it has a golden outer crust. Slice in half and serve immediately.
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Low Carb Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Keto Muffaletta Olive Spread
- Low Carb French Onion Soup
- Crispy Fried Mortadella Chips
- Low Carb Italian Quesadillas
Press down firmly: the carbonaut bread waffle sandwich is stuffed with all the tasty ingredients, it is pretty thick. Therefore, you may need to press down firmly on the waffle iron to keep it down firmly.
Waffle Iron is Hot: the waffle iron can get very hot so if you are placing a heavy object on the top to hold it down firmly make sure it is fire resistant.
- Serving: serve with a side of your favorite snacks like these Air Fried Zucchini Chips or these Low Carb Lavash Crackers.
Waffle sandwiches can be made savory or sweet. Here are a few variations on how I love to make mine:
- Rueben - make this classic sandwich with corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese and a thousand island dressing.
- PB & Marshmallow - typically known as a fluffernutter, use peanut butter and sugar free marshmallow. I use this sugar-free marshmallow from Amazon.
- Italian - use slices of salami, mozzarella cheese and this muffuletta olive spread.
Frequently asked questions
This waffle sandwich recipe with carbonaut bread has roughly 4g net carbs per sandwich. This will vary depending on the amount of ingredients used.
Yes, low carb waffles will work. Make the waffles first and then follow the directions in this recipe and replace the carbonaut bread with your waffles. You can use this Cinnamon Waffle Recipe and simply don't add the cinnamon and erythritol to the waffle mix.
Carbonaut Bread Waffle Sandwich (Low Carb)
- 2 slices carbonaut bread
- 2 teaspoon horseradish mayonnaise
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 4 slices deli roast beef
- 2 teaspoon salted butter
- Spread horsereadish mayonnaise onto a slice of bread, layer with provolone, roast beef, provolone and then spread the horseradish mayonnaise onto the final slice of bread before topping.
- Heat up the waffle iron. Spread the butter onto the top of the sandwich and then flip and place in the waffle iron. Butter the top of the bread and close firmly for about 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
this sandwich turned out so so good! love the bread!
I’ve got a waffle iron on order and came across this recipe. I can’t wait to try it. Looks delish!
This waffle sandwich looks amazing! What a great idea. I can't wait to try some of the different variations, too. Thank you for sharing. 🙂
This is a superb idea and great use for the waffle iron! I can't wait to try other fillings in it also. Lunchtime is now made easy with your recipe and inspiration!
This was such a delicious sandwich! Loved making it in the waffle iron!
What a great idea! Thanks! This morning I was a bit in the dumps, thinking that I was getting bored with my own cooking! I hadn't thought about pairing Carbonaut with my chaffle iron!
Thank you. Glad it could lift you up.