Sweet, salty and tangy Keto Bourbon Chicken stir fry is just like your traditional cajun-themed and Asian takeout, made with sugar free ingredients.
A low-calorie and low carb recipe, making it a great keto, low carb and diabetic friendly dish the whole family will love.
This keto bourbon chicken recipe is a combination of sweet and savory made with chicken thighs in a bourbon glaze. We also add an optional touch of orange zest to give it that orange chicken flavor and vibe.
You might also like this Low Carb Hoison Beef Bowl recipe.
Why you'll love this keto bourbon chicken recipe
- Juicy tender chicken thighs in a sweet glaze just like traditional takeout but sugar-free.
- Its super quick and easy to make in one pan, with less cleanup.
- Kids love it too because of the sweet flavors, they will never know it's sugar free.
- Only 4g total carbs per serving, you can't go wrong with this low-calorie recipe.
- Perfect over cauliflower rice or keto noodles.
Main ingredients used
We make this low carb bourbon chicken recipe in one pan in under 30 minutes. Super simple to throw together and enjoy.
- Skinless Chicken Thighs: we used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but if you prefer chicken breasts, that would work as well.
- Bourbon Whiskey: bourbon brings out rich flavors and helps to balance the glaze, keeping it from tasting too sweet.
- Ketchup: keeping it low carb with a no sugar added or sugar free ketchup.
- Garlic: adding that nutty pungent flavor that you can only get from fresh garlic.
- Ginger: we used ground ginger but fresh ginger is always a great alternative.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: helps to balance out the glaze and give it the right amount of tang.
- Soy Sauce: we used a low sodium light soy sauce for this recipe as there are enough salty flavors from the other ingredients like the chicken broth.
See the recipe card for all the ingredients and quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make this low carb bourbon chicken recipe?
STEP 1: cut up the boneless skinless chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces.
Then warm up a skillet over medium heat with the olive oil, then add the chicken, salt, and pepper and cook until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
STEP 2: using the same skillet over medium heat add the minced garlic and allow it to soften but not burn, you may need to lower the heat.
Once the garlic has softened add the following ingredients:
- ¾ cup of water
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup light soy sauce ( ½ cup of coconut aminos or tamari sauce)
- ¼ cup sugar free or no sugar added ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar swerve
- ½ teaspoon of onion and ginger powder and the red pepper flakes
Stir all ingredients together with a whisk and then allow to simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
STEP 3: Once the glaze has reduced, continue to simmer and sprinkle the xanthan gum over the glaze and quickly whisk until dissolved.
Lastly, add the optional orange zest. I used about half an orange or ½ a teaspoon of the zest.
STEP 4: Next stir in the browned chicken into the glaze and continue to cook for about 5 minutes.
If you want the glaze to be thicker continue to simmer until it has reached your desired consistency.
Serve over cauliflower rice and garnish with sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Other low carb chicken recipes you might enjoy
- Ginger Braised Chicken Thighs
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- Creamy Keto Pesto Chicken
- Keto Crack Chicken
- Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich
Top Tip: it will look like a lot of sauce but it will reduce down to a nice glaze. Continue to simmer if you want an even thicker sauce.
Tip: double the amount of red pepper flakes if you want a spicier chicken.
Alternatively, you can make this recipe in a crockpot or slow cooker and allow it to cook slowly on medium for 4 hours.
What to serve with keto bourbon chicken?
I enjoy this recipe served with a side of cauliflower rice. I simply fry some frozen cauliflower rice in a dry frying pan and then add some salt and pepper.
Garnish with some sliced green onions and toasted sesame. You can also enjoy this low-carb bourbon chicken with a side of broccoli or your favorite vegetables.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. When ready to consume remove from the fridge and warm up in a pan over medium heat. You can also reheat it in the microwave. Adding some water to the chicken might help thin out the sauce if it gets too thick.
See this Low Carb Asian BBQ Brussel Sprouts recipe.
Frequently asked questions
Bourbon chicken is kind of a hybrid between cajun and Chinese that has changed over the years and you can now find it in most Chinese restaurants and in the mall food courts.
This bourbon chicken recipe is diabetic-friendly as it is made with low-carb ingredients like no-sugar-added ketchup and sweetener.
Therefore making it low-carb and diabetic-friendly. However, all foods affect people differently and you should monitor your blood sugars to see how it affects you personally.
Bourbon is whiskey but if you don't have specifically bourbon, any whiskey will do in this recipe. In Canada whiskey is often called Rye which will also work in this keto bourbon chicken recipe.
Keto Bourbon Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup bourbon whiskey
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup light soy sauce low sodium
- ¼ cup no sugar added ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sweetener
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon orange zest optional
- sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces.6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- In a skillet over medium heat warm up the olive oil and then brown the chicken. Remove from heat and set aside.1 tablespoon olive oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In the same skillet add the garlic and cook until softened. Then add the water, bourbon, chicken broth, soy sauce, ketchup, apple cide vinegar, brown sugar swerve, onion powder, ground ginger and red pepper flakes. Stir all ingredients together with a whisk and then allow to simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.2 cloves garlic, ¾ cup water, ¼ cup bourbon, ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup light soy sauce, ¼ cup no sugar added ketchup, 2 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar, ¼ cup brown sweetener, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Once the glaze has reduced, continue to simmer and sprinkle the xanthan gum over the glaze and quickly whisk until dissolved. Add the optional organge zest.¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Add the browned chicken and cook for another 5 minutes to warm through. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onions.sliced green onions and toasted sesame seeds
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This website contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, we may receive a commission in return. I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines