Tasty chicken legs wrapped in crispy bacon and brushed with a dry rub and sugar free low carb BBQ sauce. Make this recipe on the BBQ Grill, in the Oven, or Air Fryer. All cooking methods are provided below. You can also make these chicken legs without wrapping them in bacon.
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs are made with a low carb BBQ sauce but you can use any bbq sauce to make these juicy grilled chicken legs.
This quick and easy bacon wrapped chicken leg recipe makes the best chicken legs you will ever sink your teeth into.
They are jam packed with BBQ flavour and are a great idea to make when you have a summer cookout and you need to serve a lot of people. This recipe was inspired by my BBQ Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Chicken Skewer recipe.
- Main ingredients Used
- Steps to make BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs on the BBQ
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs in the Oven
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer
- Other recipes you might enjoy
- Recipe tips and variations
- Frequently asked questions
- BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs (Low Carb)
Main ingredients Used
Sticky and sweet bacon wrapped chicken drumsticks are made with these simple ingredients you are likely to have in your fridge or pantry.
- Chicken Legs: skin removed, chicken legs are juicy and succulent and make a perfect handheld appetizer or meal wrapped in crispy bacon.
- Bacon: adding that umami flavour that you can only get from crispy bacon.
- BBQ Rub: Combining spices like paprika, chili and garlic powder to make this savoury spicy rub.
- Sugar Free BBQ Sauce: we baste the crispy bacon wrapped chicken legs with a sugar free sauce.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps to make BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs
STEP 1: Make the BBQ Rub by combining the olive oil with paprika, chili, and garlic powder in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
Rubs often have sugar in them or in this case a low carb sweetner. However, we will be basting with a sugar free BBQ sauce later so we are leaving the sweet stuff out of this bbq spice rub.
STEP 2: Remove the chicken skin from the chicken legs, I do this with my hands, getting my fingers under the skin and pulling down. I left the skin wrapped around the bottom of the legs, rather than removing them completely.
STEP 3: Salt and pepper the chicken legs on all sides and then wrap with one slice of bacon (if using).
- STEP 4: Evenly brush the bacon wrapped chicken legs with all of the BBQ rub.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs on the BBQ
To cook the bacon wrapped chicken legs on the BBQ, oil the grates and preheat to 400°F and then place the chicken on the grill.
BBQ each side for about 6 minutes until the chicken is crispy and browned on all sides, brush with the sugar free bbq sauce halfway through.
You will know it's ready when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs in the Oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place the bacon wrapped chicken legs on a parchment-lined baking sheet or baking dish.
Bake in the oven at 400°F for about 40 minutes cook time, brushing with the sugar free bbq sauce halfway through. Then broil for 3 minutes per side to get them nice and crispy.
Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs in the Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Spray the air fryer basket with oil and then place the chicken legs into the basket. Ensure they are not too tight and there is room around the drumsticks for air to flow through. You may need to cook in batches.
Air fry at 400°F for 14 minutes, flipping halfway through and brushing both sides with the sugar free bbq sauce. Cook until browned and crispy, the internal temperature should be 165°F.
Other recipes you might enjoy
- Low Carb Million Dollar Dip
- Keto Friendly Pasta Noodles
- Low Carb Taco Salad
- Keto Beef and Broccoli
- Low Carb Korean BBQ Short Ribs
Recipe tips and variations
Top Tip: if you place the chicken in the fridge after preparing, allow it to come to room temperature before placing it on the grill. This will allow for even cooking.
Tip: Use a thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Serving: these bacon-wrapped chicken legs will go well with a side salad like this Low Carb Panzanella Salad or a Keto Fautato Salad.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Sauce: not a big fan of bbq sauce? Grill the chicken as is and then serve with chimichurri or salsa to top or dip into.
- Spicy: like your bbq chicken hot? Add some chili pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the BBQ spice rub.
Check out this delicious Smoked Chicken Legs recipe. (simply swap the brown sugar in the dry rub with brown erythritol).
Frequently asked questions
No, it is not necessary to wrap the chicken in foil.
You want the chicken to slowly cook first before adding any sauce. The spice rub is all you need on the bacon wrapped chicken before placing on the grill. You can add the bbq sauce halfway through cooking and more if needed at the end.
Each chicken leg contains 1g net carbs and therefore should be able to fit into your keto macros. It would also fit into a low carb and diabetic diet as there is no added sugar and we use a sugar free bbq sauce for this recipe.
You can find sugar free bbq sauces in most grocery stores, if not there are several options on Amazon.
BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Legs (Low Carb)
- In a medium size bowl, combime the olive oil with paprika, chili, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Remove the chicken skin from the chicken legs.
- Salt and pepper the chicken legs on all sides and then wrap with one slice of bacon.
- Evenly brush the bacon wrapped chicken legs with all of the BBQ rub.
- Oil the grates and preheat the BBQ to 400°F and then place the chicken on the grill.
- BBQ each side for about 6 minutes until the chicken is crispy and browned on all sides, brush with the low carb bbq sauce halfway through.
- You will know it's ready when the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- See the Oven and Air Fryer method in the post above.
- If you place the chicken in the fridge after preparing, allow it to come to room temperature before placing it on the grill. This will allow for even cooking.
- Use a thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines