Crisp and refreshing Low Carb Watermelonade is made with just 3 ingredients. Using fresh watermelon with a lemonade electrolyte powder gives all the hydration without huge sugar spikes.
Only 3g of carbs per serving, this low carb watermelonade drink is not only thirst-quenching but provides energy and keto diet support.
Here's why this watermelonade is good for you
- It includes vitamins and minerals to supercharge your body
- No added sugar, with no artificial colours or flavourings.
- No Gluten, soy or dairy and No harmful chemicals.
- Giving you essential minerals like sodium, magnesium and potassium that are vital to many bodily functions. Very essential if you are following a low carb diet to manage your type II diabetes.
This recipe was inspired by this Sugar Free Electrolyte Smoothie recipe that is creamy and delicious.
Super simple low carb watermelonade is made with fresh watermelon, water and this lemonade electrolyte powder.
- Fresh Watermelon: cubed and pureed in a blender.
- Lemonade Electrolyte Powder: Use a lemonade flavour electrolyte from Key Nutrients which is a tasty sugar-free powder with zero carbs or calories. They have many different flavours available. However, in Canada where I live you can purchase the lemonade flavour here on Amazon.
- Water: adding water stretches increases the volume of this drink while reducing the number of carbs per serving.
- Ice: keeping the drink cold makes it ultra refreshing especially on those hot summer days
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the low carb watermelonade?
STEP 1: Cube and puree the watermelon in a blender. Pour through a fine mesh sieve and discard any solids.
STEP 2: pour the blended watermelon into a pitcher and then add the water and lemonade electrolyte powder. Mix with a long spoon to ensure you are able to stir from the bottom.
STEP 3: Pour over ice and enjoy.
Optional: garnish with a few berries like blueberries or blackberries and a lemon wedge.
If you simply want the lemon flavor without the electrolytes you can add a ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. However, adding lemon juice will also increase the number of carbs in this drink. Sweeten with your preferred low carb sugar substitute.
- Cocktail - add an ounce of vodka or tequila to your glass and enjoy a boozy version of this drink.
- Freeze It - pour into popsicle moulds for a frosty dessert on a hot summer's day.
- Cube It - pour it into ice cube trays and add the watermelonade ice cubes to fruity cocktails all summer long. Would be great in this Low Carb White Sangria.
Store in an enclosed jug or pitcher in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Frequently asked questions
With only 3 grams of carbs per cup, it can be included in a ketogenic diet.
Watermelon is a great source of vitamins like Vitamin A and C and contains natural sugars. and can increase your blood sugars. Since watermelon is 90% made of water it can be moderately consumed by diabetics. Check out this post called Is Watermelon Keto? by Keto Connect for more details about the glycemic load of watermelon.
Low Carb Watermelonade
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 4 cups water
- 2 scoops lemonade electrolyte powder
- Cube and puree the watermelon in a blender. Pour through a fine mesh sieve and discard any solids.
- pour the blended watermelon into a pitcher. Then add the water and lemonade electrolyte powder. Mix with a long spoon to ensure you are able to stir from the bottom.
- Pour over ice in individual glasses.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.