This easy Keto Artichoke and Onion Frittata recipe is a delicious and healthy low carb breakfast. Great for brunch or meal prep.
The tasty combination of artichokes and onion give this cheesy casserole dish a mild nutty and slightly sweet flavour.
I love quick breakfast bakes and this recipe cannot get any easier.
Make keto breakfast frittata when expecting company for breakfast or brunch or when you want to meal prep for the week.
Slice the frittata in squares and individually wrap them to take with you for an on the go breakfast or lunch.
This keto frittata recipe was inspired by my Keto Quiche Lorraine recipe as it has some similar ingredients.
📺 Watch how to make this keto frittata
🥘 Ingredient Notes
Made with sautéed marinated artichoke hearts, onion and garlic with eggs, cream and loads of cheese. This is a perfect low carb keto breakfast.
- Artichoke Hearts: a jar marinated artichokes, strained and patted dry to remove moisture.
- Onion and Garlic: I like to sauté the onions and garlic with the artichokes to get them nice and soft for the frittata.
- Eggs: would this even be a frittata without eggs, that being said I am sure there are some vegan frittata recipes.
- Cheddar: a marble cheddar was used but you can use any melty cheese you prefer.
- Parmesan: used to coat the bottom of the casserole dish and also used to top the frittata to give it that sweet yet salty nutty flavour.
- Cream: giving a creamy texture to this frittata
- Nutmeg: adding that warm, nutty and slightly sweet taste with citrusy undertones.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make Keto Artichoke and Onion Frittata?
STEP 1: In a skillet over medium heat sauté the onions and garlic with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Drain the can of marinated artichokes and then pat dry with paper towel. Add to the frying pan and continue to sauté until soft, then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F
Generously grease a 9"x13" casserole dish with butter and then evenly sprinkle a ¼ cup of grated parmesan over the butter. (save the remaining parmesan for topping the frittata later). Transfer the artichoke mixture to the casserole and spread out evenly.
STEP 2: In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, shredded cheddar, oregano and nutmeg. I grated the cheddar on the diagonal to create short shreds, this makes it easier to whisk together.
Whisk for about 1 minute until the egg mixture is a frothy on top.
Gently pour egg mixture over the artichoke mixture in the casserole dish, spread out evenly if needed.
STEP 3: Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan and place back in the oven for another 6 minutes. The frittata should be slightly golden on top.
Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool before cutting into squares. Gently remove each slice and enjoy. Top with chopped parsley and freshly cracked black pepper (optional).
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: strain the marinated artichokes and pat dry, otherwise there will be too much moisture and make the frittata watery.
Tip: shred the cheddar on the diagonal and continue to maneuver and angle the cheddar so it makes short shreds. This make it easier to whisk in with the egg mixture.
- Serving: serve with a side green leafy salad or these cauliflower bites
- Storage: store covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days. Frittata can be eaten cold or allow to come to room temperature. Warm up in the microwave or oven.
♨️ Recipe variations
Variations of this keto breakfast frittata are endless, here are just a few of my favourite ways to have them.
- Meat Lovers - instead of veggies add cooked bacon and ground beef to the egg mixture
- Pizza - Top the meat lovers frittata with low carb tomato sauce, pepperoni and fresh basil for a pizza frittata
- Veggie Lovers - add more veggies like spinach, zucchini and red peppers, be sure to saute them with the artichokes and onion first.
See this Breakfast Egg Roll Up recipe for another delicious brunch idea.
💭 Frequently asked questions
A frittata is crustless and a quiche is made in a pie crust.
A frittata without the added artichokes and onion would be very low in carbs. However with the added veggies this frittata is 5g net carbs per serving.
Yes, you can freeze up to 3 months. Wrap individual portions in multiple layers of plastic wrap and then place those wrapped portions into a freezer bag.
Yes, it provides the creamy and fluffy texture to the frittata.
Keto Artichoke and Onion Frittata
- In a frying pan over medium heat sauté the onions and garlic with the olive oil.
- Drain the can of marinated artichokes and then pat dry with paper towels. Add to the frying pan and continue to sauté until soft. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Grease the casserole dish with butter and then evenly sprinkle a ¼ cup of grated parmesan over the butter. Transfer the artichoke mixture to the casserole and spread out evenly.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, cream, shredded cheddar, oregano and nutmeg until frothy.
- Gently pour egg mixture over the artichoke mixture in the casserole dish, spread out evenly if needed.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan and place back in the oven for another 6 minutes. The frittata should be slightly golden on top when done.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines