Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scones are just bursting with flavour. You’ll love these sugar free scrumptious scones with your morning coffee or after dinner dessert. Only 2g net carbs and you will never know they are low carb.
Way before I was diabetic I was in love with scones. I would grab a scone from my local coffee shop every morning before I got on the subway for my long commute. Now I still enjoy scones but these low carb scones are my new way of eating them without the sugar spikes. Not only are these scones low carb but they are only 2g net carbs per scone. These days I enjoy them with a Low Carb Chocolate Mint Smoothie.
Are Scones Supposed to be Dry?
They are meant to be crumbly but not too dry. Scones are often accompanied with a beverage often used for dunking like a coffee or tea. You can also have it with some butter or a low carb jam. Since these scones are made with a low carb lemon rosemary glaze you could enjoy them on their own.
How to Make Low Carb Scones
Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine with a fork until incorporated well.
Add the Cold Butter. Mix in the butter in chunks with a fork or use a pastry cutter. You want the butter mixed in to resemble small peas.
Add the wet ingredients. Mix in the wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
Lay the dough out on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roll out the dough or flatten with your hands to form an 8″ rectangle. Then cut into 8 triangles.
Seperate each scone on parchment and bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow scones to cool completely or they will fall apart.
Make the glaze. Once scones have fully cooled, dip each scone into the glaze and place on cooling rack to allow to set.
Are Scones Diabetes Friendly
These scones are made with almond flour and erythritol and are only 2g net carbs each. Almond flour has a much lower glycemic index than all purpose flour and does not spike my blood sugars. Same with erythritol compared to regular sugar. Always test your blood sugars after consuming new recipes to see how it affects you.
Watch the Instruction Video for the Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scones
Can you Freeze Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scones?
Yes, if you are not going to eat them within a few days you can store them in an airtight container or freezer bad for up to 3 months. Remove from freezer and allow to that and warm them up in the microwave.
Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scone Recipe
Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scones
Lemon Rosemary Glaze
- 1 cup powdered erythritol
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream use more if not thin enough
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients and lemon zest using a fork.
- Add in the cold butter and mix into the dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender until small pellets form.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well until all incorporated
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and using your hands, roll out the dough on the paper and form an 8" rectangle.
- Separate each scone on the tray and bake at 325°F for about 25 minutes or until scones appear golden brown.
- Once out of the oven allow to cool completely. Once cooled dip each scone in the glaze and place on cooling rack to set.
Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Glaze
- In a medium bowl whisk all ingredients until glaze is smooth
- Place in a small plate to allow enough room for each scone to be dipped into
Are you in Canada and interested in more low carb baking products? Have a look at SwitchGrocery. They are an online grocery store specializing in low carb, keto, paleo and diabetes friendly food products and they ship across Canada.