This delicious thick and hearty Instant Pot Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup is a perfect warm and creamy beef and cheese soup. It's literally a cheeseburger disguised as a soup and it's a great keto and low carb soup option that will keep you toasty all year long. If you don't have an instant pot you can easily make this on the stove top.
It's like a bacon cheeseburger transformed into a comforting soup, giving you all the burger feels and flavours. If you love a good cheeseburger like I do, this keto cheeseburger soup recipe is going to be your go to soup all winter.
When I made my jalapeno popper burger recipe I never thought of making a soup but once the temps started getting cooler I definitely got the wheels turning and had to create this low carb cheeseburger soup recipe using the instant pot.
🥘 Ingredients to make cheeseburger soup
This low carb instant pot cheeseburger soup is made with browned ground beef, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, crushed tomatoes and bacon crumbles.
- Ground beef: I used ground sirloin but you can use any ground beef you prefer
- Cream cheese: for that mild sweet taste and pleasant tang makes this pie feel like a cheesecake. I use a full fat cream cheese.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese: because what would a cheeseburger be without cheddar cheese
- Crushed tomatoes: giving you that ketchup flavours by using some tomatoes
- Pickles: adding two pickles to this soup but if you don't like pickles on your burger you can omit.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the keto cheeseburger soup
STEP 1: Use the saute function on the instant pot and brown the pound of ground beef with the onion, garlic, salt and black pepper.
STEP 2: Once the beef is browned and the garlic and onions are translucent, add the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, pickles, pickled jalapenos and worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined. Place the instant pot lid on and set to sealing. Pressure cook the soup on normal setting for 15 minutes.
STEP 3: Allow the instant pot to slow release for 10 minutes and then hit the release button and remove the lid. Toss in the cream cheese, shredded cheddar and green onions. Whisk until cheese is melted and mixed through. Add ¼ cup of heav cream and mix once again.
- STEP 4: Enjoy the bacon cheeseburger soup and garnish with bacon crumbles, more cheese and green onions.
👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
What do you like on your burgers? There can be many variations, here are just a few that I think would go great in a keto bacon cheeseburger soup.
- Blue Cheese - swap out the cream cheese and use a creamy blue cheese instead
- Roasted garlic - roast some garlic in the oven and then whisk them into the soup for a nutty garlicky flavour
- Poultry - ground chicken or turkey would also be an option instead of the beef
- Vegetarian - make it a veggie burger soup and swap the beef with some firm tofu or tempeh.
- Stove Top - Don't have an instant pot? Follow the same directions but use a large pot on the stove and allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes, before whisking in the cheese at the end.
My Ginger Asparagus Soup is one of my favourite low carb recipes.
♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
Top Tip: if you don't want a spicy soup omit the pickled jalapenos
- Serving: serve the soup with a side of crunchy pork rinds, pickles or some keto crackers
- Storage: store the completely cooled soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Due to the dairy in the soup, freezing is not recommended.
This recipe is also Gluten Free!
🥣 Equipment used to make
I do love my Instant Pot and the more I use it, the more I want to use it again. However, this soup can be made using various types of pressure cookers or slow cookers. Here are just a few.
Having a good strong whisk on hand helps to bring a lot of ingredients together in this cheeseburger soup recipe.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Cheeseburger soup goes well with some keto crackers or some crunchy pork rinds. You can also serve it with a side salad or some low carb bread to dip into the soup.
A serving of this soup has only 276 calories and 4g of net carbs per bowl. Unlike traditional cheeseburger soup this recipe does not contain any bread in it which makes it low carb and a better option for diabetics.
Yes, make it in a large pot on the stove and allow to simmer for 30 minutes before adding in the cheese at the end.
🍽 Other recipes you may like
If you enjoyed this recipe show some love and share on social or pin on pinterest.
Instant Pot Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon pickled jalapenos diced
- 2 medium pickles chopped
- 2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 sliced green onion
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Set the instant pot to saute and brown the ground beef with the garlic, onions, salt and pepper
- Once browned add the beef broth, crushed tomatoes, pickles, jalapenos and worcestershire sauce. Mix until well combined.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and set to sealed. Pressure cook on normal for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes allow to slow release for 10 minutes and then hit the release to allow all the pressure out.
- Remove the lid once the pressure is released and add the cream cheese, shredded cheddar and green onions. Whisk until cheese is melted and mixed through. Add heavy cream and give it one more stir.
- Enjoy in your favourite soup bowl and garnish with crumbled bacon, more cheese and green onions.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
I made this the other night and was pleased with the flavor blend. A great soup for a cold night. I didn't have crushed tomatoes so subbed a can of diced. It was good, but think it would have been better with the crushed tomatoes. I am going to try and freeze leftovers even though I stand a chance it will separate, but it is just me and it makes a lot. Definitely a keeper. One FYI. Your ingredient list calls for beef broth, however your instructions call for chicken.
Glad you enjoyed it and also letting me know about the chicken broth, I updated the post.
YUM! Can't wait to try this out! Looks soooo good!
I love that this soup is low-carb! It was so yummy, perfect for these cooler days! Plus, it was so quick in the Instant Pot!
This soup was so good and easy to make in the Instant Pot!
I could really go a bowl of this right now. Your recipes always make me hungry Oscar!
Thank you, it's definitely a comfort type of soup.
Yum! Such a wonderful instant pot recipe! Can't wait to make it again!
Thank you Nora.
Jessica l Tao of Spice
I am so thankful I came across this recipe. I recently started following a low-carb diet and have struggled to find recipes I can make for the whole family. Everyone just loved this soup, however. It's SO good!
Awesome, thanks for sharing your feedback
I made this for dinner and the kids loved it! So easy in the instant pot.
Thank you Amanda
Lovely soup. Perfect for upcoming colder days. I'm going to cook it for my family. I bet my boys would love this for dinner. Thanks!
I'm sure they will love it.
Yum! It doesn't get much better than this cheeseburger soup! I love that it is low carb and healthy!
This soup couldn't have been better! WE enjoyed for dinner last night with a loaf of crusty bread!
We are big cheeseburger fans in my house so this is the soup we’ve been waiting for! I love how quickly it comes together too, thanks for video.
I think this will be the one of my comfort foods! I can't wait to try this hearty Instant Pot Low Carb Cheeseburger Soup!:) Looks so tasty and creamy, perfect for this season. Thanks!:)
You had me at cheeseburger soup! All the goodness of a great burger flavour. It was really good and easy to make. Love that it's keto too which suited my husband. Definitely making this again!
Such a hearty and flavorful soup! Total comfort food.
The addition of cream cheese is so good! This was a hit in our dinner.
Yes, love the cream cheese in this soup.
Can't go wrong with cheeseburger soup and it's certainly soup season. Great job on the recipe video too!
Thank you very much. I try to do a video with every recipe.
I love this cheeseburger soup! It is so delicious and easy to make! I don't use my instant pot a ton but now I will be using it a lot more! This soup was perfect!
Great. I am learning to use my instant pot more as well.
Interesting meal recipe! I havent tried cheeseburger soup and now im craving
I am sure you will enjoy it.