The best Low Carb Chicken Fajitas are a perfect keto and diabetic friendly favourite made with a zesty fajita spice blend, peppers and onions piled high on a low carb tortilla.
Top these keto chicken fajitas with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and a squeeze of lime.
We always love fajita night in our house! It's an excellent mix of protein and veggies and an easy meal to throw together. In fact this recipe was inspired by my Cheesy Chicken Fajita Casserole which has similar flavours.
Low carb tortillas have made fajita night even better and can be enjoyed without overdoing it with the carbs from traditional tortillas. These keto chicken fajitas are tender and juicy and cooked to perfection without drying them out.
Main Ingredients Used
Chicken is marinated with a zesty fajita spice blend of chili and garlic powder with a little tajin seasoning, lime juice and cilantro, then grilled with peppers and onions.
- Chicken Breast: thin slices of boneless skinless chicken breast are marinated with a slightly spicy fajita seasoning and then grilled for just the right amount of char.
- Peppers: a blend of sweet red, yellow and orange peppers were used to give these low carb fajitas all the peppery flavours instead of a green bell pepper.
- Red Onion: a milder and sweet onion was used to balance out the flavours form the peppers.
- Fajita Seasoning: my own low carb blend with and added touch of zest with tajin seasoning for some extra lime and cilantro flavours.
Steps by step instructions
How to make low carb chicken fajitas?
STEP 1: We first make the fajita seasoning that we will half for marinating the chicken and the other half for the veggies.
Using a small bowl mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, tajin, cumin, ground coriander seed and the salt and pepper. Set aside.
STEP 2: In a large bowl toss the slices of chicken breast with the olive oil, cilantro leaves and the zest and juice from one lime.
Mix until well combined and then add half of the fajita seasoning mix and toss again until the seasoning is evenly mixed through. Set aside to marinade while we grill the veggies.
STEP 3: Add the olive oil to a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the sliced peppers and onions, salt and pepper and the remainder of the fajita seasoning.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until your preferred tenderness of the veggies. You may like your veggies crispy or soft. Remove veggies from skillet and set aside.
- STEP 4: Lower the heat to medium and use the same skillet to brown the chicken. Should only take about 2 minutes to brown.
STEP 5: Reduce the heat to low and toss in the veggies with the cooked chicken just to warm through.
Serve on low carb tortillas topped with sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime. Alternatively you can serve on a bed of cauliflower rice and skip the tortillas.
Grilling: for the best low carb chicken fajitas, get a good char on the veggies and chicken by not stirring too much. Allow the ingredients to sit in the skillet for a minute at a time before stirring again.
Tortillas: heat the tortillas on a hot skillet for about 30 seconds per side. You will see the tortilla bubble up and that's how you know it's ready. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly. In Canada I get Mr. Tortillas from Switch Grocery.
- Evenly Sliced: try to slice the veggies and chicken evenly so that they all cook within the same time.
- Serving: serve with a Low Carb Margarita and a side of cauliflower rice.
- Storage: store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Switch up the protein and use sliced flank steak or serve the grilled veggies with salmon.
- Have a vegetarian night and simply omit the meat.
- Make it spicy and use hot peppers instead of bell peppers.
- Make kabob fajitas and slice the chicken and veggies into bite sized pieces and them to a skewer with the sprinkle of the fajita seasoning and grill them on the bbq.
Frequently asked questions
Some other vegetables you can use are zucchini, carrots, sliced eggplant and carrots.
Each tortilla with the chicken fajita is roughly 3g net carbs, depending on what toppings you add. Making these a great keto, low carb or diabetic friendly option.
Low Carb Chicken Fajitas
- Make the fajita seasoning In a small bowl by mixing together the chili powder, garlic powder, tajin, cumin, ground coriander seed and the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss the slices of chicken breast with the olive oil, cilantro leaves and the zest and juice from one lime. Then add half of the fajita seasoning mix and toss again until the seasoning is evenly mixed through. Set aside to marinade.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium/high heat and add the sliced peppers and onions, salt and pepper and the remainder of the fajita seasoning. Cook for about 5 minutes or until your preferred tenderness of the veggies.
- Lower the heat to medium and use the same skillet to brown the chicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and toss in the veggies with the cooked chicken just to warm through.
- Serve on low carb tortillas topped with sour cream, salsa, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, fresh chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines