A flavorful Thai Chicken Curry Pasta recipe made with low-carb pasta, coconut milk, cilantro, fresh basil, and curry with a few other spices.
As a type two diabetic, I like to use low carb pasta for this recipe but if you are not concerned about it you can use any pasta.
Thai red curry pasta is a wonderful burst of flavors that work so well together. In fact, the creamy broth is like liquid gold and I could drink it on its own after eating all the pasta and chicken.
Why you'll love this Thai Chicken Curry Pasta recipe?
- Bright and vibrant flavors with fresh vegetables and a combination of spices and ingredients make this recipe super delicious.
- It's easy to make, simply throw everything in one pan and let it simmer.
- Make it healthier with low carb pasta and you won't feel heavy and bloated afterward.
- You can make it very spicy or not spicy at all with just a few tweaks, I show you how below.
- Your guests and family will love it, even those picky eaters enjoy this recipe.
- The creamy sauce is made dairy free with coconut milk.
Main ingredients used to make this recipe
Pan-fried chicken thighs, curry and pasta are the main ingredients but we combine additional ingredients to make this beautiful dish.
- Chicken Thighs: we used boneless skinless chicken thighs for this recipe but chicken breasts can also be used.
- Low Carb Pasta: any short dry pasta will do but if you are watching your carbs, use a low carb pasta like this Kaizen Pasta on Amazon. If you're in Canada you can get it at switchgrocery.com.
- Curry Powder: usually consists of turmeric, cumin, ginger, black pepper and cinnamon for that sweet warmth and toasty depth of flavor.
- Garlic: for those nutty and pungent flavors.
- Ginger: slightly sweet with a spicy, peppery warm flavor.
- Thai Red Curry Paste: get this in a jar at the grocery store in the Asian or international aisle.
- Cilantro and Basil: fresh herbs to heighten and brighten up all the flavors.
See the recipe card for quantities and the full list of ingredients.
Steps by step instructions
How to make Thai chicken red curry pasta?
STEP 1: First cook your pasta according to the package instructions but cook a little less than firm to the bite.
Next, heat up the olive oil on a skillet over medium heat. Then add the boneless skinless chicken thighs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides, set aside, and cut into one-inch slices once cooled.
STEP 2: In the same pan over medium-high heat add the diced onion and red pepper. Saute until softened. Then add the garlic and ginger and cook until softened.
Once softened add the curry powder, cumin and ground coriander seed. Stir and cook the spices over medium heat for about 1 minute.
STEP 3: add the Thai red curry paste and stir to combine. Use more or less depending on if you like it spicy or not. Then stir in the coconut milk and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- STEP 4: add the sliced cooked chicken thighs and fresh cilantro. Stir and allow to simmer again for a couple of minutes.
STEP 5: Add in the cooked pasta and simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the pasta to soak up the flavors.
STEP 5: top the curry pasta with freshly chopped basil and serve.
Other recipes you might enjoy
Top Tip: do not overcook your pasta as it will simmer in the curry sauce for about 5 minutes to absorb the flavors. You want your pasta to be cooked to almost al dente (still firm to the bite)
Serve this curry pasta with a side of cucumber salad topped with chopped peanuts, and edamame beans with a soy dipping sauce or veggie sticks.
I doubt you will have leftovers but if you do transfer to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
Here are a few variations to making this curry pasta.
- Vegan - make it vegan by simply leaving the chicken out or substituting it with firm tofu cubes.
- Rice - swap out the low carb pasta and serve this chicken curry on a bed of rice or cauliflower rice.
- Spicy - add more or less red curry paste depending on how hot you like it or simply add more coconut milk to make the sauce milder.
- Coconut - want more coconut flavors in this recipe add more coconut milk or use coconut cream for a chicken coconut curry sauce.
This recipe is also gluten free.
Frequently asked questions
Thai curries usually consist of green chilies, Thai basil, lemon grass and kefir leaves.
This recipe only uses low carb ingredients and should be healthy for people with diabetes. However, you should always monitor your blood sugars to see how new recipes affect you personally. This recipe is also low calorie and low fat.
With only 6g net carbs per serving this recipe can likely be considered keto depending on your daily macros and how much you have used in the day.
Thai Chicken Curry Pasta
- 1 cup kaizen pasta uncooked or your preferred pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs boneless, skinless or chicken breasts can be used
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon thai red curry paste Use less if you don't want it too spicy
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves chopped
- Cook your pasta according to the package instructions but slightly less than al dente.1 cup kaizen pasta
- Brown your chicken thighs in a frying pan over medium heat with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Remove from pan and cut into one inch slices when cooled. Set aside.1 tablespoon olive oil, 4 chicken thighs, ⅛ teaspoon salt, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In the same pan over medium high heat add the the onion and red pepper. Saute until softened.1 small onion, 1 red pepper
- Next add the garlic and ginger and once again cook until softened.3 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- Now add the curry powder, ground coriander and cumin, stir to combine and cook for one minute.2 tablespoon curry powder, ½ teaspoon ground coriander, ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Add the thai red curry paste and coconut milk, stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.2 teaspoon thai red curry paste, 1 can coconut milk
- Add the cooked sliced chicken and fresh cilantro and simmer for a couple minutes.1 tablespoon cilantro
- Stir in the cooked pasta and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil and serve.1 tablespoon basil leaves
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
Leave a Reply