Deliciously spicy Gingerbread Ice Cream is warm, inviting and pleasantly sweet with a mild peppery kick. It's like having gingerbread cookies in ice cream. Made in the Ninja Creami ice cream machine with a super easy recipe.
This is one of those warm and comforting ice creams to enjoy during the winter months and the holiday season. Best of all it can be made sugar free, low carb, keto and diabetic friendly.
Gingerbread is traditionally found in baked goods but we take this spicy flavor and flip it into a spicy ice cream with a Ninja Creami ice cream maker.
This creamy ice cream recipe is quick and simple to make, the only long time required is for the ice cream to freeze.
This recipe was inspired by my all-time favorite and current number-one recipe on the blog, my Chewy Ginger Molasses Keto Cookie. If you are a fan of soft gingerbread cookies, check out the recipe. You might also love this Keto Gingerbread Cake recipe.
Ingredients Used to make Gingerbread Ice Cream
Made with the traditional gingerbread spices, nut milk, cream cheese and protein powder.
- Almond Milk: we used unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk, however, you can use your preferred milk like cashew, coconut or traditional milk.
- Protein Powder: this not only adds protein to this gingerbread ice cream but provides more depth to the creamy texture.
- Cream Cheese: slightly tangy and gives a rich creaminess to the ice cream.
- Erythritol: regular erythritol or brown sugar erythritol can be used in this recipe. If you are not watching the carbs, traditional sugar, brown sugar or light brown sugar will work as well.
- Spices: ground ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and nutmeg were used to give you all the warmth you would find in gingerbread baked goods.
- Vanilla extract
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make gingerbread ice cream?
STEP 1: In your blender add the milk, sweetener and spices.
STEP 2: add the vanilla extract, cream cheese and protein powder.
STEP 3: Blend all ingredients for about 30 seconds and pour into the Ninja Creami ice cream pint, place the lid on and freeze for 24 hours.
STEP 4: After the gingerbread mixture has been in the freezer for 24 hours, remove the pint from the freezer, remove the lid and place it into the Ninja Creami out container, place the blade lid on and lock it into place.
Turn on the machine and press the "Smoothie Bowl" button. Allow it to run its course.
STEP 5: After the spinning is completed, remove it from the machine and check to see if it turned out. Mine turned out super creamy and did not require any further mixes.
STEP 6: Scoop out an ice cream scoop into your favorite bowls and enjoy.
Other ice cream recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Blueberry Ice Cream (Ninja Creami)
- Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream (Ninja Creami)
- Butterscotch Ice Cream (Ninja Creami)
- Sugar Free Coffee Ice Cream
- Lemon Sortbet (Ninja Creami)
Top Tip: due to varied freezer temperatures the results might be different for you after the first spin. If it turns out icy or powdery you can create a well down the center of the ice cream and add a tablespoon of heavy cream and spin once again for a creamier texture.
- Set in the fridge: allow the blended gingerbread mixture to sit in the freezer for the full 24 hours.
- Serving: enjoy on its own or with a warm beverage, especially during the winter months.
- Storage: freeze any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Thaw on the counter at room temperature for 15-20 minutes and enjoy.
- Cinnamon: this ice cream recipe is fairly cinnamon heavy, use less if you want a mild cinnamon flavor.
Equipment used to make this gingerbread ice cream recipe.
The Ninja Creami is an amazing ice cream maker that makes ice cream, sorbet, sherbert and milkshakes. It's a new toy for me and it has my creative juices flowing with endless ninja cream recipe ideas.
I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites. I can make a small commission on qualifying purchases.
Frequently asked questions
Often egg yolks are added to stabilize the ice cream but it is not required in this recipe.
This ice cream is made sugar free and contains 2g of carbs per serving therefore should be safe for people with diabetes. I always suggest monitoring your blood sugars after trying new recipes to see how it affects you personally.
Gingerbread Ice Cream (Ninja Creami)
- 1.5 cups unsweetened almond milk or your preferred milk
- ¼ cup sweetener or brown sugar erythritol
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon use more or less (see recipe tips)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 2.5 tablespoon low carb vanilla whey protein powder
- Combine all ingredients in a blender for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a Ninja Creami pint and freeze for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours place pint in the Ninja Creami machine and use the "smoothie bowl" button.
- Serve and enjoy.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
Absolutely delicious! So easy to make too.
I have never tried gingerbread ice cream and am definitely going to try making this. Will it work with an ice cream machine?
Sounds like a great flavor for an ice cream! I'd love to try making some homemade ice cream over winter break.
This was so delicious! I made exactly as instructed and it turns out perfect with great gingerbread flavor. Will make again soon.
Delicious. Thought the flavors were spot on gingerbread.
This ice cream is so good. I love the warm spices and the little touch of heat. It was so cute served with my mini gingerbread man cookies on the side.