Discover a guilt-free appetizer with these Low Carb Sweet Potato Bites! Made with slices of sweet potatoes, oven-baked to perfection, topped with sugar-free marshmallows and crowned with a crunchy pecan.
Experience the irresistible ooey-gooey goodness in every bite. A wholesome diabetes-friendly treat for your taste buds!
- Why you'll love these low carb sweet potato bites
- Other appetizer recipes you might enjoy
- Recipe variations
- Ingredients used for the sugar free sweet potato bites
- Steps by step instructions
- Recipe tips
- Frequently asked questions
- Some sugar free dessert recipes you might enjoy
- Low Carb Sweet Potato Bites
Having crafted these Sugar-Free Sweet Potato Bites numerous times, they've become a cherished favorite, serving as my go-to treat, appetizer, or snack with their delightful blend of flavors.
Why you'll love these low carb sweet potato bites
- Diabetic-Friendly Delight: Enjoy a guilt-free treat that caters to your dietary needs, being both sugar-free and diabetic-friendly.
- Keto-Friendly Indulgence: Embrace the keto lifestyle with a flavorful and low-carb option that satisfies sweet cravings.
- Naturally Sweet Sweet Potatoes: Revel in the natural sweetness of oven-roasted sweet potatoes without added sugars.
- Sugar-Free Marshmallow Magic: Experience the lusciousness of sugar-free marshmallows for a delightful, guilt-free twist.
- Maple Infusion with Low-Carb Pecan Crunch: Savor the richness of Lakanto maple-flavored syrup and the satisfying crunch of low-carb pecan halves in every bite.
These swaps provide flexibility to tailor the recipe to individual preferences and dietary needs.
- Sweet Potato Alternatives:
- Butternut Squash: Swap sweet potatoes for butternut squash for a slightly different flavor profile.
- Carrot Rounds: For a lower-carb option, use thinly sliced carrot rounds.
- Marshmallow Variations:
- Homemade Sugar-Free Marshmallows: Consider making your own sugar-free marshmallows for a personalized touch.
- Coconut Flakes: Opt for unsweetened coconut flakes as a unique alternative.
- Butter Substitutes:
- Coconut Oil: Replace melted butter with melted coconut oil for a dairy-free option.
- Ghee: Use ghee for a clarified butter flavor without lactose.
- Sugar-Free Syrup Choices:
- Caramel Syrup: Substitute Lakanto maple-flavored syrup with monk fruit syrup for a different sugar-free sweetener.
- Stevia Drops: Experiment with stevia drops for a liquid sugar-free alternative.
- Nutty Options:
- Walnut Halves: Switch pecans with walnut halves for a distinct nutty flavor.
- Almond Slices: Use sliced almonds for a lighter crunch.
Ingredients used for the sugar free sweet potato bites
These bites combine some natural sweetness, guilt-free indulgence, rich buttery notes, subtle maple undertones, and a satisfying nutty crunch for a perfectly balanced treat.
- Sweet Potato: Adds natural sweetness and a soft texture, complementing the overall flavor profile.
- Sugar-Free Marshmallows: Luscious and guilt-free, these marshmallows provide a delightful sweetness without added sugars.
- Unsalted Butter (Melted): Enhances richness and adds a buttery undertone to the sweet potatoes.
- Lakanto Maple-Flavored Syrup: Infuses a subtle maple sweetness, contributing to the overall flavor without the need for added sugar.
- Pecan Halves: Provide a satisfying crunch and nutty flavor, adding texture and depth to each bite.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the low carb sweet potato bites?
STEP 1: Butter and Maple Mix
Start by preheating the oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, combine melted butter and Lakanto maple-flavored syrup.
STEP 2: Coat Sweet Potatoes
Slice the sweet potatoes into ¼-inch slices, and toss them in the butter and maple mixture until well-coated.
STEP 3: Bake
Place the coated sweet potato slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- STEP 4: Marshmallow and Pecan Finish
Remove from the oven, top each slice with sugar-free marshmallows, and broil until marshmallows are puffy and golden. Remove from the oven and finish by topping each marshmallow with pecan halves.
- Marshmallow Monitoring: Keep a close eye on the marshmallows under the broiler to prevent burning; they can puff up and turn golden quickly. Adjust the broiling time as needed for that perfect gooey and golden finish.
- Perfect Pecan Placement: For an aesthetically pleasing presentation and even distribution of nutty goodness, strategically place pecan halves on top of each marshmallow while they are still warm and gooey.
- Storing Leftovers: Place any leftover Sugar-Free Sweet Potato Bites in an airtight container and refrigerate promptly. Consume within 2-3 days for optimal freshness.
- To reheat, place them in a preheated oven at 350°F until warmed through, ensuring a delightful texture. Avoid microwaving for the best results.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely! These bites are crafted with diabetic-friendly ingredients, making them a delicious and safe treat for those managing their sugar intake. As usual please monitor your blood sugars to see how these sugar free sweet potato bites affect you personally.
I've found sugar-free marshmallows on Amazon. Alternatively, a quick Google search for sugar-free marshmallow recipes will yield options if you prefer making them from scratch. I have made this Sugar Free Marshmallow recipe.
Yes, you can freeze them for future enjoyment. Ensure they are in an airtight container, and when ready to eat, reheat in the oven for the best texture and flavor.
Some sugar free dessert recipes you might enjoy
REVIEW AND FOLLOW: Have you tried this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and ⭐️ rating below. If you make our recipes and share them, be sure to use our hashtag #ihackeddiabetes on social! We love seeing what you are making.
Low Carb Sweet Potato Bites
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter and Lakanto maple-flavored syrup.1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon lakanto maple flavored syrup
- Slice the sweet potatoes into ¼-inch slices and toss them in the butter and maple mixture until well-coated.1 large sweet potato
- Place the coated sweet potato slices on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Remove from the oven, top each slice with sugar-free marshmallows, and broil until marshmallows are puffy and golden. Remove from the oven and finish by topping each slice with a pecan halve. Enjoy your delightful Sugar-Free Sweet Potato Bites!10 sugar free marshmallows, 10 pecan halves
- Watch marshmallows closely under the broiler to avoid burning; adjust the time for a perfect gooey and golden finish.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, tips and variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.