A perfectly healthy and low-carb snack for when you need something quick. Keep a jar full of this seed and nut mix on your countertop for whenever the snack monster strikes.
The combination of nuts and seeds with a hint of sweetness is also great to take on the go to work, on a hike or with you to the gym.
- Why you'll love this sweet and salty seed and nut mix?
- Ingredients used in this seed and nut mix
- Where to buy low carb chocolate chips?
- Steps by step instructions
- Other snack recipes you might enjoy
- How to store these seeds and nuts?
- Recipe variations
- Frequently asked questions
- Sweet and Salty Seed and Nut Mix
This nut and seed trail mix is made with a variety of nuts like pecans and walnuts with seeds like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. An excellent blend with just the right amount of crunch.
I was inspired to make this when I was often purchasing those trail mix bars but they were often packed with sugar and sweet ingredients like raisins or cranberries. They taste great but noticed my blood sugars would spike every time I had them.
Why you'll love this sweet and salty seed and nut mix?
- Quick and easy snack to enjoy on those busy days
- Perfect to take with you on the go
- Great for health, seeds and nuts are full of nutrition and vitamins.
- Great source of protein, healthy fats, and fiber.
- Nuts help regulate food intake and help burn energy.
- Low carb and diabetic friendly
Ingredients used in this seed and nut mix
You can literally use any seeds and nuts you prefer for this mix. Here are the ones I love to use. Most of the nuts and seeds used I used were unsalted and raw, however, if you prefer roasted or salted you can use them instead.
- Slivered Almonds
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower Seeds
- Low Carb Chocolate Chips
See the recipe card for quantities.
Where to buy low carb chocolate chips?
Most low carb chocolate chips can be purchased on Amazon like Lakanto, Lily's or Choc Zero.
However, my favorite low carb chocolate chips are from Coco Polo Chocolates. They make 39% Milk Chocolate Chips and 70% Dark Chocolate Chips. I really notice the quality of these chocolates compared to the other low carb brands. If you are in Canada you can purchase them from Switch Grocery.
Steps by step instructions
How to make the sweet and salty seed and nut mix?
This really doesn't need instructions as they are quite simple.
STEP 1: Add the seeds, nuts and chocolate chips to a large bowl.
STEP 2: Using a large spoon mix the nuts in the bowl.
STEP 3: Transfer the seed and nut mix to a mason jar. I used a large funnel to help get them into the jar without making a mess.
STEP 4: store in the jar and any remaining in the bowl you can place in an airtight container or plastic sandwich bag with a zip.
STEP 5: Enjoy as a snack, sprinkle over low carb yogurt or ice cream.
Other snack recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Pecan Pralines
- Crunch Low Carb Lavash Crackers
- Salted Caramel Pili Nuts
- Sugar Free Fruity Crispy Treats
- Low Carb Blackberry Coconut Bars
How to store these seeds and nuts?
- Keep them at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 6 months or in the freezer for up to a year. (if storing in the fridge, make it without the chocolate and add it when you are ready to consume).
- Keeping nuts away from foods that have strong odors like onions and will help keep their flavor without taking on any distinctive tastes.
The list of ingredients you can add to this mixture are endless, just keep in mind the nutrition will also change.
- Nuts - brazil buts, hazelnuts, macadamias, pine nuts, pistachios, peanuts
- Seeds - flax, chia, hemp, sesame seeds
- Sweets - raisins, cranberries, other dried fruits
- Shredded Coconut or Coconut Chunks
Frequently asked questions
Although tempting to eat a lot I would stick to eating a handful in a day.
Yes, the quantity is just a guide, feel free to add more or less of what you prefer.
A handful of these seeds and nut mixture is around 7g of carbs. Because they are mostly fiber they do not seem to spike my blood sugars.
Sweet and Salty Seed and Nut Mix
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- ½ cup unsweetened or low carb chocolate chips
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl and mix with a large spoon.
- Transfer to a mason jar with a lid or an airtight container.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This is exactly what I needed to have on hand for when I get peckish while cooking dinner. I change up some of the nuts to use what I had but it was delicious!
This sweet salty seeds mix looks perfect snack boost. Perfect for everyday.
This was such a delicious combination. The nuts were perfect with the chocolate. I will certainly make this again!
Yum! I love this mix! Perfect for our family hiking!
love this mix so much! easy to make and perfect to enjoy on the go!