Now this is my kind of drink! A Low Carb Unicorn Cocktail made with refreshing iced passion fruit tea, gin and ginger ale. This fun and bright cocktail will be your fav beverage for those girls nights out or when you're strutting your stuff at the pride parties.
Keeping it sugar free and low carb so you can have a few cocktails without the sugar crashed. A great cocktail if you are diabetic or following a low carb lifestyle. You won't have to sip on water while your friends are having fun. You may also like my Low Carb Old Fashioned recipe made with a Low Carb Simple Syrup.
🥘 Ingredient notes
Made with a passion tea that infuses hibiscus, orange peel, rose hips & passion fruit flavours that gives this drink it's heavy fruit floral aroma. The juniper flavour from the gin combined with the ginger ale makes this low carb unicorn cocktail ultra refreshing.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the Low Carb Strawberry Cream Pie
Fill a tumbler glass (sometimes called a highball or collins glass) halfway with ice, then add 1-2 oz of empress gin (or regular gin), 2 oz of diet ginger ale and 2-3 oz of cold passion fruit tea. Stir and enjoy.
📺 Watch instructional video
🍴 More diabetic friendly recipes
⏲️ Tips and serving suggestions
- Serving: food that goes well with gin beverages are seafood, charcuterie, berries, cheese and nuts.
- Storage: you can make a pitcher of this drink ahead of time to serve at a gathering. Store in a bottle or jug with a lid in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Variations: add fruit to this cocktail by adding blackberries, raspberries or blueberries. You can also swap the ginger ale with diet 7up or Sprite.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Most diabetics can drink in moderation but you should be careful as it can cause low blood sugars if you are taking insulin. It may also affect your ability to know if your blood sugars are low and how to treat it.
If you are trying to lose weight it is recommended not to consume alcohol as it may stall your progress. Alcohol should be consumed in moderation if you decide to have a cocktail or two.
The dominant flavour in gin is juniper which gives it a very herbal flavour. Many people describe gin to a note of Christmas tree or pine.
This cocktail has 0 carbs and only 88 calories per serving.
No, any other types of gin will work and won't change the flavour profile very much.
Low Carb Unicorn Cocktail
- 2 oz gin
- 2 oz diet ginger ale
- 2 oz cold passion fruit tea
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Fill a tumbler with ice and add the gin, ginger ale and cold passion fruit tea.
- Stir and enjoy.