This Lemoniest Low Carb Cake is moist, tangy and super easy to make. It's bursting with lemon flavours and dusted with powdered sweetener and lemon zest.
If you are a citrus lover like me, you will love this keto lemon cake. This sugar free lemon cake is low carb so you can enjoy a slice of lemon cake without the guilt.
If you love anything lemon you will also love these Low Carb Lemon Rosemary Scones.
Table of Contents:
- 📺 Watch how to make this lemon cake
- 🥘 Ingredients used for this recipe
- 👨🏻🍳 Steps to make this recipe
- 👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
- ♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
- 🥣 Tools used to make this lemon cake
- 💭 Frequently asked questions
- 🍽 Other dessert recipes you may like
- The Lemoniest Low Carb Cake
📺 Watch how to make this lemon cake
🥘 Ingredients used for this recipe
I especially wanted to make this cake full of lemon flavour so I used a full lemon (zest and juice) for the batter. I also used only almond flour as I find it doesn't get as dry as other flours, so to hold in the moisture.
- Almond Flour: the base of this cake is made with almond flour, keeping it low carb and giving it a slight nutty flavour.
- Lemon: of course without lemon it would be very sad, using lemon zest and lemon juice
- Butter: adding just the right amount of butter to add moisture and richness to this low carb lemon cake
- Erythritol: I used granular for the batter and powdered for the topping. I sometimes prefer granular in cake batters as I enjoy that slight crystalized mouth feel. Powdered would work as well.
- Egg: Controlling the structure of this lemon cake recipe, keeping it all together
👨🏻🍳 Steps to make this recipe
How to make low carb lemon cake?
STEP 1: Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer cream the butter and erythritol in a large bowl until fluffy, about 1 minute. Then add the remaining ingredients except the lemon zest or juice and mix again. Scrape down sides of bowl if needed.
STEP 2: Zest the lemon and squeeze the juice into the same bowl and then mix again until well combined.
STEP 3: Transfer cake batter to an 8 or 9 inch generously greased cake pan and spread evenly.
- STEP 4: Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 35 minutes or until top of cake is lightly golden and poking with a toothpick comes out clean.
STEP 5: Remove cake from oven and allow to completely cool in the pan before removing. I flipped mine over onto a cutting board once cooled and then topped with a dusting of powdered erythritol and more lemon zest.
👨🏻🍳 Substitutions and Variations
I bet this cake would be just as good to replace the lemon with a lime. I will definitely try it soon. A quick google search will help you find some recipes for the suggestions below. Sadly I don't have all these recipes just yet but planning on it.
- Lemon Glaze - drizzle with a lemon glaze by mixing powdered erythritol with some lemon juice
- Double Layer - double the ingredients and make 2 cakes, layer them with a lemon curd filling
- Lemon Buttercream Frosting - mix some butter with lemon juice and powdered sweetener for a delicious buttercream frosting.
This cake is also gluten free.
Love lemons as much as I do? Check out this Lemon Focaccia recipe.
♨️ Top tips and serving suggestions
Top tip: generously grease the baking pan and allow the low carb lemon cake to completely cool in the pan before removing, otherwise it could break.
- Lemon juice: for best results use freshly squeezed lemon juice, don't use the store bought lemon juice from a container for this lemon cake
- Serving: serve the cake with a side of fresh berries or some low carb fruity ice cream
- Storage: this cake keeps well covered at room temperature for 3-4 days
- Berries: add some fresh berries on top for an extra layer of flavours
🥣 Tools used to make this lemon cake
This recipe was super easy and all I used were these few kitchen tools from start to finish.
- Hand mixer - to mix the batter well I used a hand mixer to get the job done quickly
- Stainless Steel Bowl - my preference is always to use a stainless steel bowl over glass bowls, although for some ingredients glass is better.
- Whisk - simply helps to mix the wet and dry ingredients
- Rubber Spatula - helps bring the batter together when adding the lemon juice before mixing with the handheld mixer.
💭 Frequently asked questions
You can but fresh is always better in my opinion.
A slice of this sugar free lemon cake contains about 1g of carbs. Therefore, depending on your daily macros and what else you eat in a day it could fit into a ketogenic, low carb or diabetic diet.
If you enjoyed this recipe I would love if you would share on social or pin on pinterest.
The Lemoniest Low Carb Cake
- 2 tablespoon powdered erythritol
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl cream together the butter and the erythritol until fluffy, about 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients except the lemon juice and zest. Combine with a hand mixer until well incorporated for another minute. Scraping down sides of bowl when needed.
- In the same bowl zest the lemon and then squeeze out the juice. Mix with a rubber spatula and then use the hand mixer to combine for a minute.
- Generously grease a 8-9 inch cake pan with butter and then transfer the batter to the pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until top of cake is lightly golden and a toothpick in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely in the pan. Once cooled carefully remove from pan by flipping it onto a flat surface like a cake plate or cutting board.
- Dust the top of the cake with the powdered erythritol and sprinkle with lemon zest
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines