Keto White Russian is a delicious low carb vodka cocktail made with espresso and cream. Super decadent and easy to make. This keto white Russian recipe contains only 1g net carb per cocktail.
What is a white Russian?
A white russian is a cocktail made with vodka, cream and coffee liqueur. We take this traditional white russian cocktail and spin it on its head with this low carb keto take that still has all the coffee and cream flavors you love from the original drink.
No need for any special shakers or blenders for this drink. You don't need to make any special coffee liqueurs, it only takes 2 minutes to throw all the ingredients over ice in a tumbler and you are good to go.
If you love coffee-themed cocktails you must try this Keto Espresso Martini recipe.
Ingredients used to make a keto white Russian
- Vodka: a lot more subtle in taste than other spirits but clear and colorless alcohol without a definite aroma and taste.
- Cold Espresso: for that bold coffee flavor, you can also use cold brew coffee as an alternative.
- Rum: is often used to make coffee liqueurs so we are adding to bring a light and little sweet flavor
- Heavy Cream: giving this keto white Russian its creaminess making it ultra rich and luxurious.
- Vanilla Extract: adding some vanilla notes that you would also get from a coffee liqueur.
- Caramel Stevia: just a few drops to slightly sweeten the drink while giving it a touch of caramel flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Steps by step instructions
How to make a White Russian Keto?
STEP 1: add some ice to a tumbler glass and layer it with the vodka and rum first. Then add the cold espresso or cold brew coffee, the vanilla, and caramel stevia.
STEP 2: Pour heavy cream as a topping, you may not fit the entire ounce, depending on the size of your tumbler glass.
STEP 3: Stir and enjoy your keto white Russian.
Pro Tip: This drink is often served in a tumbler often called and old-fashioned glass. Some vary in size and may not fit all the quantity of ingredients in this recipe. You may want to mix the cocktail in a larger glass and then pour over ice in a tumbler or old-fashioned glass. A 7-10 oz whiskey glass would be ideal, don't forget to factor in the ice.
Quantities: you may prefer less alcohol and more coffee or cream in your cocktail. This recipe uses equal parts for the convenience of making this cocktail, you may choose to change the quantities to suit your preferences.
How to serve a white russian?
Serve in an old fashioned glass over ice and add additional cream or sweetener to taste and preferred creaminess. It's practically an adult milkshake.
If you are not a fan of stevia, feel free to swap it out with your preferred liquid sweetener.
There are many variations of white Russians although some add other types of sugary liqueurs which may not be suitable if you are watching your blood sugars. However, here are a few that might be good to serve your guests.
- Blind Russian - substitute the heavy cream with Irish cream.
- Skinny White Russian - or an Anna Kournikova (named after the tennis player), made with skimmed milk instead of heavy cream.
- Cherry - a Russian cherry orchard made with the addition of Grand Marnier.
Frequently asked questions
A keto white Russian can serve as an after-dinner dessert or an evening cocktail, especially if you need a little pick me up during a night out. You may even enjoy it on an afternoon at home instead of a coffee.
We remove the use of coffee liqueur which full of sugar and replace it with rum and espresso along with vanilla and caramel stevia. Making this low carb cocktail only 1g of carbs per drink.
Diabetics can drink alcohol in moderation but it's still important to drink responsibly and monitor your blood sugars to see how alcohol affects you personally. If you are also trying to lose weight, alcohol may affect your progress.
Keto White Russian
- 1 oz vodka
- 1 oz rum
- 1 oz cold espresso
- 1 oz heavy whipping cream
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- 8 drops caramel stevia add more or less to taste
- add ice to a 7-9 oz tumbler or an old fashioned glass
- over the ice add the vodka, rum, espresso, vanilla and caramel stevia.1 oz vodka, 1 oz rum, 1 oz cold espresso, 3 drops vanilla extract, 8 drops caramel stevia
- top with the heavy cream, stir and enjoy.1 oz heavy whipping cream
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This website contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, we may receive a commission in return. I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooked food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines