These Pork Rind Crusted Chicken Wings are super crunchy and mouth watering delicious. If you enjoy a super crispy chicken wing, I got you covered with this tasty chicken wing recipe.
During the holidays I love having gathering with friends and family and I always think of creative ways to serve great appetizers that are delicious and easy.
Pork Rind Chicken Wings are one of my favourite appetizers because it makes great finger food and doesn't make your fingers stick like saucy wings can, especially if your at a holiday party.
🥘 Main ingredients to make?
Making these keto fried chicken wings only take a few ingredients, although additional spices are encouraged.
- Chicken Wings: a versatile and delicious part of the chicken that are irresistable
- Pork Rind Crumb: breadcrumbs made from pork rinds that give a crunchy and salty texture to the wings
- Baking Powder: helping the wings get browner and crispier as they cook
- Garlic Powder: sweeter but less assertive than fresh garlic and helps to crips up the wings.
- Chili Powder: mild to moderately spicy giving these wings that tex-mex flavour
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the pork rind crusted chicken wings
STEP 1: First make the pork rind crumbs by blending 2 cups of pork rinds in a blender or food processor until they look like bread crumbs.
STEP 2: If using oven method, preheat oven to 250°F (other cooking methods to follow) First mix all the spices, baking powder and pork rind crumbs in a large bowl. Whisk until evenly combined. Divide the spice mixture in half and place one half in a large ziploc freezer bag. Pat the wings dry with paper towel and then place into the ziploc bag and shake well until wings are coated with the spice mix.
STEP 3: Transfer wings to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 250°F for the first 20 minutes. Then increase the oven to 425°F and flip the wings, continue to bake the pork rind chicken wings for another 25 minutes or until desired crispiness. I prefer mine very crispy so I bake for the full 25 minutes.
STEP 4: Once out of the oven toss the chicken wings back into the large bowl with the other half of the spice mixture. Use tongs to toss them in the bowl until they are coated evenly. Enjoy with a creamy dipping sauce or buffalo sauce.
Air fryer method
For keto fried chicken wings, follow the instructions above but instead of placing on a parchment lined baking sheet place in batches in the air fryer basket. Fry at 400°F for 8 minutes per side (16 minutes) or until wings are crispy and golden on the outside.
👨🏻🍳 Recipe tips
Top Tip: Make sure you pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel. Otherwise the wings won't get very crispy.
Tip: save money and buy plain pork rinds and make the crushed pork rinds yourself by pulsing them in a food processor or blender.
- Serving: serve the wings with a creamy ranch or blue cheese dip. If you are not very sauce like me, I prefer to add additional dry seasonings like dill pickle popcorn seasoning. However, if you are serving for a party, you may want to keep it neutral and have the dips on the side.
- Storage: store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. If you want to freeze the wings, place them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months.
♨️ Recipe variations
Pork Rind Crusted Chicken Wings can be spiced up with your favourite spices and flavours, you may even want to toss them in a sauce after baking. Here are some variations if you want to show off your wing game with your friends.
- Spicy - add more heat by using 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper in the spice mixture
- Sweet - add a tablespoon of granular erythritol to the spice mixture and watch the crowd go "hmmmmm" for a sweet spin on this salty appetizer
- Saucy - if you prefer a saucier crispy wing, why not toss the wings in a buffalo sauce
- Wake Up - for an extra out of the box ingredient, add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the spice mixture for a hint of coffee flavour to the wings.
This pork rind crust can also be used to make chicken nuggets or chicken strips instead of wings.
For another delicious chicken wing see my Cilantro Lime Chicken Wing recipe.
🍽 Other appetizer recipes you might enjoy
Pork Rind Crusted Chicken Wings
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 2 cups pork rinds
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- Pulse the pork rinds in a food processor or blender to make the crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 250°F
- Mix spices, baking powder and pork rind crumbs in a large bowl.
- Divide the spice mixture in half and place one half in a large ziploc freezer bag. Pat the wings dry with paper towel and then place into the ziploc bag and shake well until wings are coated with the spice mix.
- Transfer wings to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 250°F for the first 20 minutes. Then increase the oven to 425°F and flip the wings, continue to bake another 25 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Once out of the oven toss the chicken wings with the remaining spice mixture in the large bowl.
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more food guidelines
This recipe was inspired by Keto Connects Chipotle Dry Rub recipe from their cookbook Keto Made Easy.
I made these for the first time with the huge Costco chicken drumsticks and they turned out amazing! The flavor lingered for a long time and was not too strong. We could taste every spice!
I used Grama’s All Natural Sweet Chili Sauce and it made it even better.
Thank you for sharing!
how many lbs of wings, please. Did I miss it?
About 20 wings