The flavours of citrus and tequila come through with a hint of sourness in this delicious 3 ingredient Margarita Low Carb Sugar Free cocktail.
Did you know that there is actually a national margarita day in February every year? February 22 to be exact which is my favourite day of the year, just kidding, I like low carb margaritas any day of the year.
I was inspired to make this margarita low carb sugar free recipe while I was creating my Low Carb Simple Syrup recipe. A simple way to sweeten this tasty margarita without all the sugar. Keeping it low carb and keto so you can enjoy sipping without the sugar highs and lows. You might also enjoy my Low Carb White Sangria recipe.
🥘 Ingredient notes
Made with white tequila, fresh lime juice and an easy simple syrup, alternatively you can use other sweeteners like liquid stevia, even erythritol if you prefer. (erythritol may not dissolve well but it will work if you are in a pinch)
- White Tequila: The star of the show. I have a new found love for tequila. It never caught my eye until I had a few margaritas last summer at a great mexican restaurant. Sadly I didn't know at the time how much sugar was in it, which is why I made this low carb recipe. It's now one of my go to spirits, I really do love it now.
- Lime Juice: for that tart and bitter flavour with a slight sweetness
- Simple Syrup: this low carb simple syrup is easy to make and can be used to sweeten other beverages and cocktails. It can also be used to moisten some cakes and in desserts.
👨🏻🍳 Steps by step instructions
How to make the Low Carb Margarita
STEP 1: Rim two glasses with a lemon wedge and then dip onto a salted plate. I used tumbler/globe glasses but typically margarita glasses are used.
STEP 2: Add Ice, tequila, lime juice and simple syrup to the shaker, shake for 20 seconds
STEP 3: Add ice to the glasses and pour the tequila through a strainer.
- STEP 4: Garnish with fresh lime wedges
There are several sweetener substitutes you can use and if you are not a fan of tequila make it with rum.
- Sweeteners - if you don't want to make the simple syrup you can use liquid stevia or monk fruit juice. If you only have granular erythritol or allulose blend in the blender to powder them so they dissolve better. Use 10 drops of stevia/monk fruit or 1 teaspoon of erythritol/allulose if not using the simple syrup.
- Rum - a great alternative if you are not a fan of tequila
- Virgin Tequila - Omit the tequila and enjoy this citrusy cocktail without the booze. Try adding a squeeze of lemon or some orange flavoured seltzer to boost that citrus flavour.
Giving the visitor ideas on how they can change this recipe to better suit their dinner guests, or their cultural cuisine, is a great way to increase the chances they make the recipe
- Champagne - make it fancy and add 2oz of champagne to these margaritas
- Berry Deluxe - try adding a few smashed berries like strawberries or blackberries to the drink for added flavours.
- Blended - skip the shaker and throw all ingredients in a blender for an icy frosted margarita instead.
I used a martini shaker to make these margaritas. This kit is a perfect start kit if you are new to making cocktails.
⏲️ Top tip
Make a pitcher of low carb margaritas and triple the recipe. Store in the fridge and serve over ice whenever you're in the mood to enjoy.
💭 Frequently asked questions
Traditional margaritas are typically made with tequila, lime juice and cointreau (orange flavoured liqueur). Try adding orange flavoured sparkling water to this recipe to make it more of a classic.
A coarse kosher salt is typically used but if you only have table salt or something else, it will also work.
For myself I can drink in moderation and manage my blood sugars accordingly. If you are trying to lose weight alcohol may stall your progress. I suggest you check your blood sugars in order to see if it affects you as everyone is different. I use a Fora 6 Connect Blood Glucose monitor (use IHACKEDDIABETES10 for 10% off) to check my blood sugars. Please drink responsibly.
Each glass is roughly 1g of carbs per cocktail making this a great low carb and keto option.
With only 67 calories per margarita this would definitely be considered a skinny margarita.
🍽 Other recipes you may like
Please comment, rate or review my recipe below!
Margarita Low Carb Sugar Free
- 2 oz white tequila
- ¾ cup simple syrup (stevia, monk fruit, erythritol)
- ¾ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups ice
- 4 wedges lime
- Rim the glasses with lime wedge and dip into salt.
- Add ice to the shaker and add tequila, lime juice and simple syrup into the shaker.
- Shake for 20 minutes and pour into ice filled glass
- garnish with a lime wedge
This recipe card provides the basic details to make this recipe. For more information, questions or variations please review the content above the recipe card.
Updates and Revisions
If conflicting information between the video and recipe card, the recipe card will always have the most up to date information, ingredients and instructions.
All nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content will vary with brands used, measuring methods, portion sizes and more.
This website contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a product link, we may receive a commission in return. I Hacked Diabetes is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.