When I was thinking of all the things I love during the holidays, eggnog and gingerbread were the first things that came to mind. So then my brain started to hatch an idea of combining them together to make these low carb gingerbread eggnog cups.
This recipe has 3 steps you need to make.
- Gingerbread cups
- Low carb eggnog
- Eggnog Cream Cheese Filling
Makes 8 Gingerbread Cups
- 1 Cup almond flour – I use this one
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum – I use this one
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Cream Cheese
- 1.5 tbsp Molasses
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Combine almond flour, xanthan gum and all dry ingredients together
- Next, add butter and cream cheese and combine with a pastry blender or with two forks (do this step quickly so the butter doesn’t melt)
- Add the whisked egg, vanilla, molasses and the apple cider vinegar, continue to mix until small pellets form
- Grab the mixture with your hands and knead the dough until well mixed together to form a ball
- Wrap ball with plastic wrap and store in fridge for about an hour
- After an hour roll out dough on a parchment paper, you may want to use another piece of parchment on top to roll out the dough to 1/8″ thick. Then using a 4″ cookie cutter, cut out the shells. (don’t have a 4″ cutter? Uuse a 4″ round plate if you have one) If you want a thick crust like the photos above, 1/8″ should work.
- If you roll it out too thin it will be difficult to lift off the parchment paper. If this happens, form them into a ball and then flatten them out with your palms.
- Place each shell into a muffin tin, no butter or parchment needed as the butter in the crust should be enough.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes. (I did not bling bake them)
- Let them cool completely before filling them
Low Carb Eggnog
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp powdered erythritol – I use this
- 2 1/3 cups cream (I used 10% cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Dash of nutmeg
Blend all together and serve chilled, save 1/4 cup for the Eggnog Cream Cheese Filling
Eggnog Cream Cheese Filling
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered erythritol – I use this
- 1/4 cup low carb eggnog
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch of cinnamon
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form
- Add the dry ingredients to the whipped cream and mix
- Now add the eggnog and mix
- Add the cream cheese in chunks and mix until smooth
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours
- Scoop up the cooled mixture into the gingerbread cups
- Serve cold and eat within 2-3 days, or freeze up to 4 weeks.
Each Gingerbread Eggnog Cup is 2g net carbs
The eggnog cream cheese filling can be used to frost your favourite low carb cakes as well.
This is a Yellow Snack Cake from Gooddees I get in Canada from Switchgrocery.com
If you love gingerbread as much as I do, checkout my Chewy Gingerbread Cookies